584,808 active members*
5,211 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > CNC Knee Mill Conversion from Mitutoyo Millstar III control to Centroid All in One DC

CNC Knee Mill Conversion from Mitutoyo Millstar III control to Centroid All in One DC

Bit of history,
    I acquired a Ganesh 10x54 CNC knee mill from a friend of mine which saw very little use. It had a Mitutoyo Millstar III control on it. The control used standard Glentek servo motors and amplifiers. Mitutoyo control was good, sotware not so great. So I opted to go with a Centroid upgrade. I call it a success. Being an electrician by trade, Traffic Signal Tech by profession (now retired) made things easier for me. I would not suggest that someone without basic electrical/electronic skills undertake such a conversion, its not tough, but I found you need to understand the basics. I also took a stab at explaining the basic system circuits as I understood them in hopes it might help others. (No guarantees! )

All I have to do now is run the systems test.

Centroid software is SO much better, with so many extra features, including Intercon, their conversational programming software that helps those of us that are a little challenged in the CAD/CAM department, than the Millstar III control had. I was able to reuse my servo motors which were in like new shape. I refitted them with new 2000 line encoders. I also fitted the X&Y axis with limit switches that it did not have before. The Mitutoyo control used their glass scales on those axis while the Z used an encoder. The machine homed to markers on the scales.

I plan on doing a couple more conversions. I have an Emcoturn 240 and a Supermax mill came my way recently so it will likely be refitted first. I guess you can tell I like tinkering with CNC controls.

I documented the conversion (all videos not up quite yet) on my YouTube channel, martyscncgarage https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTN...k5HNwnjzer6GVQ

Pictures on my google album:
    https://goo.gl/photos/1AN1yNPp6GHyKkCn8

Re: CNC Knee Mill Conversion from Mitutoyo Millstar III control to Centroid All in On

Looking Good!

The only problem I can see is that your shop is way too clean

Cool Re: CNC Knee Mill Conversion from Mitutoyo Millstar III control to Centroid All in On

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Looking Good!

The only problem I can see is that your shop is way too clean
    Hah!.
    The two pictures depict two different shops. The one showing the overall machine was at my previous home in my two car garage.
    The one with the Centroid conversion is in my "machine" shop attached ahead of my 3 car garage.

Yes, I can stand a little clutter during a project, but I clean up before I start another....

Marty

Re: CNC Knee Mill Conversion from Mitutoyo Millstar III control to Centroid All in On

Thanks for posting! Looks awesome. I upgraded a SuperMax YMC-30 a few years back w/ my son and We love it! The Centroid free forum is also top-notch for Q&A from people that know the product very very well. how did your calibration all turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Thanks for posting! Looks awesome. I upgraded a SuperMax YMC-30 a few years back w/ my son and We love it! The Centroid free forum is also top-notch for Q&A from people that know the product very very well. how did your calibration all turn out.
    Everything seemed to go quite well. I think I'm going to make some adjustments to the XY limit switches to gain some more of the machines travel.
    I learned that the limit switches are just a starting point to home the machine, when it hits the limit switches, the control backs off of them and hunts for the index pulse on the servo motor encoder, making the machine home position very accurate and very repeatable. Great control.
    Will be fitting an All in One DC to a Supermax YCM-40 I rescued. I'm proof that retrofitable CNC machines are out there if you watch and are patient enough!

Stay tuned to my YouTube channel to watch my follies! martyscncgarage
    Marty

That mill head looks remarkably similar to my Hurco Hawk 5M...like identical with the vari-speed drive.

I stumbled here looking to retrofit an Allin1DC controller to it to replace the Ultimax 3.

I'd love to get some pointers and what to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
    That mill head looks remarkably similar to my Hurco Hawk 5M...like identical with the vari-speed drive.

I stumbled here looking to retrofit an Allin1DC controller to it to replace the Ultimax 3.

I'd love to get some pointers and what to look out for.
    If you have DC Servo motors then certainly, Centroid All in One DC may be a good fit. Depending on whether or not you have encoders, you may have to upgrade or install them. All in one does not use Tachometers, so they can be removed.
    Feel free to check out my YouTube channel, martyscncgarage to see my video series on upgrading my mill with All in One DC.

Marty

Marty,

Watched your video on this conversion, have a question for you:

You mention the original mill had glass scales. Will the Allin1DC use those for positioning? I'm leaning towards using those in my retrofit to get rid of leadscrew comp.

-Jim