585,737 active members*
4,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > turning without clamping the insert & how much effort when tightening an insert :)

turning without clamping the insert & how much effort when tightening an insert :)

Hello good design should allow an insert to cut without actually clamping the insert on the holder

in attach archive is a movie showing it : insert is put in place by hand, and it cuts @ 2000o/min x 1.5mm_radial_depth

after cutting, turret raises and insert falls down

tightening an insert on such a holder must not be done thinking that delivered torque must overcome the cutting forces, but only to keep the insert in place, not to fall because of gravity

i use kyocera for turning, and in attached images you may see holder specification and clamp design

the clamp mechanism uses a single screw to lock & drag the insert, thus there is a single section with effort inside the insert, and this effort is not great if normal tightening occurs

about the main screw : if the hexagon of the main head is damaged, the hexagon at the opposite head may be used : no downtime

when using holders from other producers, i noticed that insert and/or shim raises, when insert is clamped

this does not mean that kyocera is the best i am not here to sell kyocera ...

i only wanna say that kyocera turning holders look simple & robust, and kyocera printed catalogue has quality paper and really nice colors, not like the images from the pdf

i hate when trees are cut to make catalogues and low quality furniture ... kindly !
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: turning without clamping the insert & how much effort when tightening an insert :

with such tools, for roughing, on a recent setup, i machined clasic olc45 steel : cca17000cm3/wnmg_insert

that is 17000/6=2850cm3/insert_edge i don't know if this is good or bad, but for me is ok
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg