585,737 active members*
4,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > please, 2 questions when using G138

please, 2 questions when using G138

hello please, how can i detect if Y axis is on ? thus if G138 is active ? so far i tried VPMRY & VMIRY, but those codes did not work

... and how can i restart a program with Y axis on, by using normal restart sequence, and not IL+green_button ?

kindly !

ps : found it : vymod, but still in doubts with 2nd question
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: please, 2 questions when using G138

hello all, please excuse, i think i was not clear : i have a program that uses somewhere G138

if i reset the machine when G138 is active, than turret will remain up (Y<>0), and i can not restart the program ... restart works only if turret is at normal position, and only if Y mode is canceled

a thing just crossed my mind : it may be that issue that i dont have the "Center Comp" option ... i phoned my dealer, i discussed this several times ... kindly !

You cannot restart with G138 active since the turret will be off center and indexing requires the turret to be on center (even during a restart). This would require manual movement of the turret which cannot be done in restart mode. The best solution is to have the G136 at the beginning of the program so that if you reset with the G138 active, you can single block for a block or two to let the G136 put the turret back on center. Once complete, reset and then perform the restart.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

hello mr Wizard

You cannot restart with G138 active since the turret will be off center and indexing requires the turret to be on center (even during a restart)
    i also tried to restart to the operation that uses G138 with the turret indexed at the correct tool .... it did not work; i had to put the turret in normal state, and the program took it on from over there ...

The best solution is to have the G136 at the beginning of the program
    i have it ...

i was simply looking for another opinion, just to know if what i see is normal or not

i really dont know why my dealer cant answer on Y turning specs : so far, without Center Comp, i was able to turn, but i could not G33

thank you again for all your help kindly !

I think that there is no other way. What you are seeing is normal. The machine is trying to protect itself from damage by indexing into the cover.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    I think that there is no other way. What you are seeing is normal. The machine is trying to protect itself from damage by indexing into the cover.

Best regards,
    yup, should be true / makes sense

even if i activate Y and i restart on the operation of the active tool, restart procedure will look at the machine state before the restart sequence/adress/NAT, and by doing so, will try to triger an index

how i skip code to shorten restart duration, machine is not trying to recreate conditions of the previous operation, but other stuff ...

to handle this i must edit the way the control handles the restart sequence, and i cant do that .

... i must put G136 at the begining of the restart procedure

To shorten restart time it is better to NUMBER SEARCH to a good restart point and then I/L cycle start. Of course it is not as safe since code has not been read in, so care must be taken in WHERE good restart point is.

Otherwise:

IF VRSTT NXXXX to skip ahead.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    To shorten restart time it is better to NUMBER SEARCH to a good restart point and then I/L cycle start. Of course it is not as safe since code has not been read in, so care must be taken in WHERE good restart point is.

Otherwise:

IF VRSTT NXXXX to skip ahead.

Best regards,
    yes mr Wizard, like always, you are true

i prefer to use VRSTT+skip_code instead of IL+play

when i start a setup, i know the program, and i know where is safe to use IL+play or not; but after a while i forget it, and at that moment i must remember the safe points inside the program ... so i simply create the program from the start with VRSTT+skip_code, but being carefull to not jump critical points, so after that, i can forget the program, and use normal restart with a drastical reduced duration

... such tricks i use only for a lot a parts, and this hapened from january this year now i have free time, and i could RTFM, but i preffer to boost my skills how i think

ps : maybe i forget programs, but i never forget your answers and other replies from this forum actually i have a copy of each post with good adivces from you / teahole / broby and superman ...

The machine is trying to protect itself from damage by indexing into the cover
    Hello mr Wizard Y axis is not paralel to back cover, but tilted

distance between Y axis and back cover increases towards Y+

turret can index with Y active, if Y>=0 (*)

this may mean that at Y0, the distance between turret and back cover is >= than same distance on a lathe without Y

i dont think that indexing is the problem, but maybe a possible interference when Y is canceled automatically ; kindly !

(*) this just give me the idea to index on Y+ between 2 double Y holders : thus tools order would be :
    ... holder 1 lower tool
    ... holder 1 higher tool
    ... holder 2 higher tool
    ... holder 2 lower tool
    ... however, i am still waiting for off center turning function from my dealer

hello all i restarted a program with Y active : it works only if G138 is before restart position

in other words, i lost the normal restart, with the turret in normal position ; so i flipped the coin, but is not like a coin has 2 faces

to make the lathe restart regardless of Y beeing active or not, than conditional code is desired, triggered by vymod & vrstt
    ... problem is that vymod value is not updated inside a restart sequence, but only when program is running normal

however, suposing that vymod would work when vrstt=128, there is another problem of turret moving somehow similar to when indexing between a short and a long drill : maybe i can eliminate this unecesary movement

well, i will ask anyway : how to detect Y axis status when VRSTT=128 ?