584,837 active members*
5,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Boundaries

Boundaries

I'm using v26 and am having a helluva a time trying to select boundaries. I want to do this part in sections and I followed videos on boundary selection but BC seems to be ignoring what I select. For example look at my screen shot titled geometry,I want the tool just to do the selected parts, yet it generates toolpath for the whole dam thing. I also select a boundary see boundary pic because I don't want the tool cutting on the top because it's a mold. I've tried extracting edges for wire frames, using the wire frame to select the boundary, going around trying all sorts of combinations clicking on geometry sections, which is a tedious time consuming PITA, particularly when it just ignores what you select.

Is there some way to do this when you actually select sections of geometry, it does just those sections and nothing else? The latest video I'm following is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mEKPYmnee8

Re: Boundaries

It looks like you are using a "stock aware" operation (Advanced/Adaptive Rough, Z level rough, etc.)

In short, BobCAD looks at the geometry you want to machine, sees all that stock (in shaded blue) and tries to remove the excess. Your boundary is including all that space to right where there is "stock" but no geometry. It's trying to remove it.

Shorten up your boundary to only include the areas where you have selected geometry. The boundary needn't be 2D but it must be a closed shape. You can get creative.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2017 Multiaxis for SolidWorks - Bobcad V29 3ax Pro 4ax Std.

Just to be clear,,,for geometry selection,,,you select the entire model

The Boundaries will limit the area..Top of job and bottom of job can be used too,to further limit the tool path

Wow BC is really counter intuitive. Whats the point of even having a "select geometry" option if it ignores it? The video I linked to thats all he is doing selecting the part of the piece he wants machined. The fact that material is elseware on the part should be irrelevant, the fact the boundary extends beyond the selected geometry should also be irrelevant, they aren't selected for machining.The boundary should just apply to the selected geometry area and be ignored outside of that area because nothing is selected for machining there. So I now have to dick around with wireframes, Christ what a tedious CAD tool.

Re-watch video,,,,you not understanding all that Al says,,,,he is spot on and will make sense with time

A word about wire frame,,,using wire frame 2d or 3d,,if you use the wireframe as a boundary,,,even the 3d,, the software will see only as a 2d top view
    the wire frame also must be a closed loop

Don't get confused about the 3d wireframe when used as geometry for 3d engraving,,,,,2 completely different things

Whats so tedious about getting wire frame ?

I can get it pretty darn fast.

Keep asking questions

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Whats so tedious about getting wire frame ?

I can get it pretty darn fast.

Keep asking questions
    Its all one wire along the side so I'm guessing it has to be broken or added to in order to close the loop.
    I have to go out now but I appreciate the help, I'm just getting frustrated, for something that should be straight forward for this type of tool its tedious. my eyes are starting to bug out of my head from trying to grab the small sections.

I changed my approach and did the front part first and it seems to actually be staying where I want it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boundJPG.JPG  

I just did a video of one way to do your boundary

There are many other ways also

as SBC said above "The boundary needn't be 2D but it must be a closed shape. You can get creative."

here i got a little creative as i choose to translate and extend that last line to complete my boundary

In newer versions,there is even more and better ways,,,but V26,I choose this way as i thought it was fast enough.Seems like a lot of work,but you get use to entity summary and translate and the trim functions,,,etc. it goes fast

anyhow,waiting on you tube and then i will post a link,,,,,,Note:I did not mess with your Cam selections of tool path at all,,the purpose of this was to show you Boundaries

I really appreciate all your help jrmach. I just got in and will try again tomorrow, been a long day. Time for a cold beer and to relax for a while.

Jake,

This is a great question and gets new users hung up all the time. So what I recommend is that you select all of your part geometry when using 3D toolpaths. Yes you have the option to select groups of surfaces, but other trouble pops up and running V26 Mill standard doesn't have the tools to check surfaces away etc... Also I don't think at this time you have a clear understand of how the toolpath is being created based on your selection and inputs.

So what to do to get the results you are after with the tools you have?

A- Select all of the part model when creating toolpath

Attachment 364818

B- Use boundaries to control where the toolpath is created in X and Y

Attachment 364820

Attachment 364822

Keeping your boundary simple makes it easy to select. For cavity work like this it's not necessary to create a more complicated boundary.

C- Use top of job , bottom of job to control where toolpath is created in Z

Attachment 364824

Watch this video for the work flow.
    https://youtu.be/N7JfM5zFGPo
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Can't thank you guys enough. I was almost ready to toss my PC through the window. Now I can concentrate just on the machine strategy and tooling.

Once you gain better understanding of the toolpath setup and how to use boundaries you can create a cutting path to work from the inside out vs running from one end to another.

Attachment 364830

Attachment 364832

Attachment 364834
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Jake,if you saw what Pro Mill had to offer in 28 and 29,,,well that's another story

If you are going to be doing lots of parts like the one you are now,,,I personally would be asking for a Brother-n-Law deal for an upgrade to Pro,,,,IMOP

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Jake,if you saw what Pro Mill had to offer in 28 and 29,,,well that's another story

If you are going to be doing lots of parts like the one you are now,,,I personally would be asking for a Brother-n-Law deal for an upgrade to Pro,,,,IMOP
    Thats not upto me. I think he is waiting to see how things go, before he invest anymore money. I'm using the PRO version of 26 by the way not standard.

Thanks for taking the time to post the video jrmach, it was helpful.

Great videos all! It's easy to forget the Top of Job and Bottom of job settings. There are numerous ways to contain your geometry, I choose the most logical first and if there is no logical choice I go with the easiest. Glad to see you're getting it Jake!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2017 Multiaxis for SolidWorks - Bobcad V29 3ax Pro 4ax Std.