584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ideas about retrofitting a Go Torch...

Hey all-

I've been giving very serious consideration to buying a cnc plasma for a few weeks. I started building one a while back, but got pulled off due to life crap, but even when I was building it, I got somewhat spooked by the electronics.

One thing I've thought of doing is buying a GoTorch and using SheetCAM and Mach3 in place of the DesignEdge software package it comes with. I keep reading online that it only gives the barest of capabilities to its user. I keep reading more and more about how the software is so bad that its essentially useless unless you buy another $2k worth of upgrades to it. I figured that using SheetCAM for design and Mach3 for a controller would get around this problem. Is this a sound idea, or is the DE software burned into the GoTorch's controller itself?

Failing this, I was thinking of going with a Blade Runner unit from C and CNC and finishing my half-done table. Anyone have any opinions as to how difficult this path might be?

Thanks-

-Farasien

Re: Ideas about retrofitting a Go Torch...

Quote Originally Posted by Farasien View Post
    Hey all-

I've been giving very serious consideration to buying a cnc plasma for a few weeks. I started building one a while back, but got pulled off due to life crap, but even when I was building it, I got somewhat spooked by the electronics.

One thing I've thought of doing is buying a GoTorch and using SheetCAM and Mach3 in place of the DesignEdge software package it comes with. I keep reading online that it only gives the barest of capabilities to its user. I keep reading more and more about how the software is so bad that its essentially useless unless you buy another $2k worth of upgrades to it. I figured that using SheetCAM for design and Mach3 for a controller would get around this problem. Is this a sound idea, or is the DE software burned into the GoTorch's controller itself?

Failing this, I was thinking of going with a Blade Runner unit from C and CNC and finishing my half-done table. Anyone have any opinions as to how difficult this path might be?

Thanks-

-Farasien
    1. Everything on a Go-Torch /P--CAM is proprietary. Their controller runs with their software. You cannot run anybody else’s control software on their controller. I don't know if SheetCAM has a Go-torch POST or if the Go-torch will even run G-Code from an external program.
    2. I suggest you join the CandCNC support Forum (open to anyone interested in CNC , especially plasma cutting) and get feedback from some of the thousands of members about building your own plasma table.

TOMcaudle
    www.Candcnc.com
    Home of CommandCNC(tm) for LINUX

Re: Ideas about retrofitting a Go Torch...

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    1. Everything on a Go-Torch /P--CAM is proprietary. Their controller runs with their software. You cannot run anybody else’s control software on their controller. I don't know if SheetCAM has a Go-torch POST or if the Go-torch will even run G-Code from an external program.
    2. I suggest you join the CandCNC support Forum (open to anyone interested in CNC , especially plasma cutting) and get feedback from some of the thousands of members about building your own plasma table.

TOMcaudle
    www.Candcnc.com
    Home of CommandCNC(tm) for LINUX
    Hi Tom-

Thanks. What about going the way of the BladeRunner? I've seen your company's website, and it looks plausible, but I'm still worried about all the difficulty of the interfacing... Is the stepper Bladerunner package purely plug-and-play? Also, do you sell the controller by itself without the motors? I ask because I converted a small Seig mill a while back (I've since upgraded to a Charter Oak cnc mill, so it just sits idle) and so already have 3 NEMA 34 motors, a Gecko 530 (I think) controller and the associated power supply for it. Would this work with the system, or is the BR setup specifically for the motors you sell with it?

Thanks again-