585,948 active members*
3,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

deep drilling full retract

I'm drilling very small deep holes using fusion360 and Path Pilot / Tormach 770... My plunge is 4in/m , retract is 1.2in/m.
    The retract in-between pecks seems to be way too fast - so I turn down the max velocity on path pilot.
    I wonder if there is a way to control the retract rate in-between pecks in fusion360 - or if this is a path pilot issue?

Re: deep drilling full retract

I don't know if the retract rate can be controlled separately. Since the title of the thread says full retract I assume you're talking about a G83 drilling cycle. G83 by default will retract at full rapid, then return at full rapid to a set distance above where the last peck stopped, then slow to the specified feed rate. Maybe I'm not following what you're trying to do but why do you want to retract so slowly.

I'm trying to understand why you care what the retract speed is? For canned cycles, it will be rapid speed, but what difference does it make?

The plunge speed is the only one you need to care about, except perhaps for reaming or boring operations.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I had one situation where the chuck was pulled off of the taper at 10000rpm when it was pulling out of stainless 301 . The chuck spun like a top for a minute or so... I think at that time I read somewhere on the internet that its better to not go too fast (I can't remember why).. If this has not been a problem for others maybe I will ignore the concern.. I checked the gcode... It is a G83 cycle.. Thanks!

Why do you think you need to control the retract speed?

I have a product in which I drill a .1004 diameter hole 4 inches deep in a piece of 3/16 thick 7075 aluminum .094 from one edge.

I use ONLY Guhring drills, and I have had tremendous success in doing it.

I start with a #2 center drill, followed by a series 552 parabolic flute stub drill followed by a series 502 to drill to depth.

I have made thousands of these parts and I have never a drill break out the side or the edge of a part.

My procedure is simple.

I start with the #2 center drill to a depth of .075, followed by the stub drill run at 5,000 RPM 12 IPM .500 deep.

Now comes the tricky part. Put the long drill .200 inside the part BEFORE you turn the spindle on. I put the drill in the hole before I turn the spindle on because if you don't, that small drill, that long will whip and wabble and you'll never get it in the hole.

The code I would use is:

G0X?Y?Z1.
    Z.1
    G1Z-.2
    S5000M3
    G83G99X?Y?Z-4.R-.2Q.075 F12.
    M5
    G80
    G0Z1.
    Then your procedure for tool change or shut down.

This code is ONLY for drilling the deep hole. You'll need to create your own code for the other tools.

I can help if you need it.