585,977 active members*
4,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848
Page 1 of 2 12

Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848

***I think I posted my original thread into the wrong sub category. Hope this one is more appropriate for my question.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these two machines, but cannot make up my mind. I hope some of you can assist me with this decision by sharing some of your experience and knowledge between these machines.

Little background, I'm a hobby carpenter and will use to machine mostly to make one off parts or .... the more likely option ... make BS parts with no real use.

I'm looking at the below (2) models with options:

$4,699 - Probotix Nebula
    $120 - Z-Touch off Puck
    $4,819 = Total

$2,595 - CNC Router Parts CRP4848
    $1,560 - Plug and Play Nema 23
    $229 - Track Kit
    $130 - Auto Z Corner
    $170 - 80mm Spindle Mount
    $4,685 = Total

I'm not including the Spindle cost in either one.
    I understand the Probotix also includes a PC, which I think I can put together for about $400 if I were to go with the CNC RP one.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's input. If there is a better option for under $6k, please let me know.

Re: Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848

I had to laugh at some things with the probotix. They claim using ACME screws is an advantage over ball screws, because it means they don't need to use a lathe... Buy a lathe guys.
    200ipm rapids is sloow.
    Round rails
    Weak gantry.

Not worth it
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Might be a little bit higher than your budget, but the FLA Saturn 4x4 would worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    Might be a little bit higher than your budget, but the FLA Saturn 4x4 would worth a look.
    This is a MUCH better machine than the other 2 you're considering OP. It will be orders of magnitude more rigid and capable of running without adjustment for quite some time. They also currently have a 25% off sale on this machine with free shipping. I don't think you're going to find anything that competes with it, short of looking at the used industrial market and waiting for the right machine to come along. The CNCRP PRO line is also very nice, but the FLA Saturn is likely considerably more rigid, as it has a welded steel frame.

Yeah. Except for their astounding QC issues and customer service problems. Anyone considering should take the time to read up on FLA

Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    This is a MUCH better machine than the other 2 you're considering OP. It will be orders of magnitude more rigid and capable of running without adjustment for quite some time. They also currently have a 25% off sale on this machine with free shipping. I don't think you're going to find anything that competes with it, short of looking at the used industrial market and waiting for the right machine to come along. The CNCRP PRO line is also very nice, but the FLA Saturn is likely considerably more rigid, as it has a welded steel frame.

I don't think having just the lower frame in steel makes it any more rigid than aluminum. It still uses an aluminum gantry and beam, so that is where steel would make a difference. It is no more rigid than the CRP pro version.
    Plus the bracing on the gantry is just awful design wise. At least the two in the OP have decent designs.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I don't think having just the lower frame in steel makes it any more rigid than aluminum. It still uses an aluminum gantry and beam, so that is where steel would make a difference. It is no more rigid than the CRP pro version.
    Plus the bracing on the gantry is just awful design wise. At least the two in the OP have decent designs.
    You don't think the linear rails on the FLA are far superior to either the probotix's (the gantry on which seems a little whimpy to me too) or the standard cncrp (which the OP referred to)?

edit: I don't think any of them are bad machines, just that for around the same price, I find the FLA superior. Personally, I would save up for a CNCRP pro 5x10 though

Yes. Better than the two in the OP.
    No better than the CRP Pro with profile rails too.
    That said I have not read the ball screw specs on any of them. They may or may not be better than the R&P on the CRP machines. I use the older style CRP pro with the v bearings and it along with the R&P is plenty accurate for our needs. It is a stout little machine.
    Lee

Out of curiosity; would the Pro version or FLA model add any additional machining capabilities? ie AR lower?

I would not think either would be strong enough or accurate enough for that. Either would probably machine aluminum easy enough, but my understanding is you need some long tooling to machine those things. Just a WAG on my part. I haven't tried it.
    If either had a steel gantry and risers, then you might be closer to the rigidity required.
    Lee

I suspect that most of the lower end routers out there would have an issue with AR receiver machining. Rigidity is one issue but you also have to deal with the need to drill at reasonably low spindle speeds. Plus you really want a coolant solution

Quote Originally Posted by DG_TX View Post
    Out of curiosity; would the Pro version or FLA model add any additional machining capabilities? ie AR lower?

In that case, if I only stick with wood projects does the difference in rigidity between a pro and standard make that much of a difference to warrant the cost difference?

Btw, I'm planning on purchasing a spindle instead of a router.

Don't FLA have gantry made of steel now? My memory might plays me tricks but I think I've seen it pass in the FLA section.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    Don't FLA have gantry made of steel now? My memory might plays me tricks but I think I've seen it pass in the FLA section.
    Yes the new models are steel , as well as some other upgrades

I didn't realize the gantry was now made of steel tubing too. Seems like a really nice kit at that pricepoint if all of the QC issues have been worked out, though personally I think I would kick myself for not getting something larger (I'm still tinkering along with my own DIY 2'x4' machine)

In that case, if I only stick with wood projects does the difference in rigidity between a pro and standard make that much of a difference to warrant the cost difference?
    Yes. And in addition to the increased rigidity, you'll also get much smoother motion.
    Also, the rails on the standard are not very tolerant of dust on the rails, with many users reporting binding if dust gets on the rails. The linear bearings on the Pro are unaffected by dust and chips on the rails.
    And the linear bearings on the Pro will last a lifetime.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Does CNC Router Parts run any promotions / sales at any point during the year? If I decide to proceed with the pro, I might be moving outside my financial comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    To also follow up on a comment that manofmanyhats wrote regarding the difference between the CNC RP and FLA models. How often will I have to make adjustments on a pro CNC RP model? Are we talking about the frame/gantry? Excuse my ignorance, but I assumed once you have it setup and aligned after installation, it would not need any further scheduled attention.

Does CNC Router Parts run any promotions / sales at any point during the year? If I decide to proceed with the pro, I might be moving outside my financial comfort zone.
    Well I've visited there site practically every day for three years , and I haven't seen any promos . I would like to get the 4x4 Pro version myself. But I was going to build the electronics, as I really believe there plug and play Nema 34 system is a bit overpriced for what you get?

Unfortunately, with the exchange rate on the Canada dollar , our 14%tax , shipping and duty , the price is close to double by the time it's on my door step

for ****s and giggles , I put the spindle , plug and play Nema 34 , and a 4x4 Pro version in the cart . I found a site that does all the conversions for me , and when it was done the cost was over 16K .
    That's a lot for a hobby imo . But then again , I know guys who have 30K tied up in there sleds

Yea, the cost really adds up quick when selecting all the bells and whistles.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a spindle and VFD that doesn't break the bank but also is relatively easy plug and play? Is the $1,600 spindle combo on the CNC router parts site worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12