585,931 active members*
3,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Probotix Nebula vs CNC Router Parts CRP4848

Quote Originally Posted by DG_TX View Post
    Yea, the cost really adds up quick when selecting all the bells and whistles.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a spindle and VFD that doesn't break the bank but also is relatively easy plug and play? Is the $1,600 spindle combo on the CNC router parts site worth it?
    A member on this site uses this one on eBay , and a Hitachi VFD for his Saturn from FLA , and David has had no issues. I want to use the same when the time comes .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    A member on this site uses this one on eBay , and a Hitachi VFD for his Saturn from FLA , and David has had no issues. I want to use the same when the time comes .
    I'm not seeing the link to the ebay ad you are referring to.

TOP QUALITY 3KW WATER-COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE ENGRAVING MILL GRIND | eBay

Sorry about that.
    There has been issues with cheap Chinese VFDs , so David recommends spending a bit more and going with the Hitachi . Apparently cheap ones may cause noise issues with the other electronics

https://www.driveswarehouse.com/wj200-022sf-2527

Now that I've bought a "cheap chinese vfd", I can say that I'd buy one again, at close to 1/3 the price of a Hitachi.
    It's not perfect, and has fewer features, but it runs the spindle just fine.
    All VFD's are noisy, and proper wiring and shielding is essential, regardless of brand.

My only recommendation is to only buy ones labeled as "Genuine Huanyang", and preferably from an Ebay seller that's been selling them for a long time. I bought mine from Solar Jean, who's been selling them for well over 5 years.

HUAN YANG 1.5KW,2.2KW,3KW,4KW,5.5KW,7.5KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD | eBay

Offer them $130 and they'll knock a few bucks off the price.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Now that I've bought a "cheap chinese vfd", I can say that I'd buy one again, at close to 1/3 the price of a Hitachi.
    All VFD's are noisy, and proper wiring and shielding is essential, regardless of brand.

My only recommendation is to only buy ones labeled as "Genuine Huanyang", and preferably from an Ebay seller that's been selling them for a long time. I bought mine from Solar Jean, who's been selling them for well over 5 years.

HUAN YANG 1.5KW,2.2KW,3KW,4KW,5.5KW,7.5KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD | eBay

I'm going to mount my vfd in a separate enclosure simular to what cncrp does , hopefully providing additional insurance . Each to his own of course.

Gerald I know you've got a lot of experience , so when the time comes ,I was going to build around what you recommend.
    I just try and play it safe sometimes . Comes with being a hypochondriac

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

Gerald, I found the below ebay link for a spindle/vfd combo from Solar Jean. Although the description states the VFD is Huanyang, I cannot determine if the spindle is as well.
    2.2KW WATER COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE & DRIVE INVERTER VFD 80MM DIAMETER WITH HY | eBay
    Do you feel it is a good deal or would it be better/safer for me to purchase the Huanyang VFD only from your original ebay link HUAN YANG 1.5KW,2.2KW,3KW,4KW,5.5KW,7.5KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD | eBay
    and the Huanyang spindle from MajorTendonitis' link TOP QUALITY 3KW WATER-COOLED MOTOR SPINDLE ENGRAVING MILL GRIND | eBay

Huanyang doesn't make the spindles, and I think they come from a variety of sources. I bought the cheapest spindles I could find, and they seem to work fine.
    If you want water cooled, I doubt you'll find a better deal than that one.

Not that major's link is to a 3Kw spindle, and I was talking about a 2.2Kw spindle. You need to make sure you get the appropriate sized VFD for the spindle you buy.
    A 3kw spindle needs a 3Kw VFD.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Update: I have placed an order with Probotix for their Nebula model. I have also purchased their spindle/VFD combo, z-puck, dust boot, threaded insert table grid, and monitor/keyboard control arm.

After doing a bit more research, I feel this one will work best for me at this price point. I also greatly prefer the plug and play feature it offers. Len at Probotix has been very helpful throughout the process as well.

Very excited to get started with my first CNC. I'll post up some pics once it arrives in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DG_TX View Post
    Update: I have placed an order with Probotix for their Nebula model. I have also purchased their spindle/VFD combo, z-puck, dust boot, threaded insert table grid, and monitor/keyboard control arm.

After doing a bit more research, I feel this one will work best for me at this price point. I also greatly prefer the plug and play feature it offers. Len at Probotix has been very helpful throughout the process as well.

Very excited to get started with my first CNC. I'll post up some pics once it arrives in the next 2 - 3 weeks.
    Congrats . Looking forward to seeing your future review

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 12