584,860 active members*
5,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting speed of MV1200S mitsubishi EDM?

We have a 2013 MV1200S and the only thing we've cut so far with it is 1" flat steel plate, and it cut 6 inches per hour. Our wire guides are .010 and the wire our consumable company supplied (a mits dealer) was .008" wire (the wrong wire).

What speed should the MV1200S cut 1" plate? What is the ideal wire for that maximum speed cut?

I talked to an EDM operator on Agie equipment who said he believed we should be able to cut 17" per hour in "GOOD CONDITIONS" and he mentioned his agie progress could cut 26" per hour

6" per hour is so slow we just don't know how the machine could ever make money on production parts.

Re: Cutting speed of MV1200S mitsubishi EDM?

I would think you should rough cut at approximately 6mm/minute with .010" wire, so that would be approx 14"/hr in good conditions. I would not believe the Agie user!!! That equates to 11mm/minute!!!! Even with coated wire that is unrealistic! Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by Makrep View Post
    I would think you should rough cut at approximately 6mm/minute with .010" wire, so that would be approx 14"/hr in good conditions. I would not believe the Agie user!!! That equates to 11mm/minute!!!! Even with coated wire that is unrealistic! Just saying!
    Is .010" wire the fastest cutting wire?

What are good conditions? The head was about .200" over the parts for the 6inch an hour cut. Could my .01" wire guides and .008 wire screw me that much? (6IPM from 14IPM?) Does it sound like I should change filter bags or water or something? The machine filtered the water and said it was ready to cut. It was a clean machine- the service had just been done and the machine installed on the floor.

I believe we were using the "variable power master" or whatever it's called- the feature that tries to optimize conditions all the time.

To get maximum cutting speed, you have to have approximately 0.012" of clearance between the upper head underside of the nozzle and the workpiece. The clearance of the lower head and the underside of the job is set, but normally should be in the region of 0.004". You should then turn PM off and use an E Pack for that thickness of material.

So are you saying your running .008 wire in .010 wire guides? Id change that first. I run charmilles, not sure exactly, but id imagine your wire and guides need to be matched( same dia.) Double check your upper and lower flush cup distance to your work part, my machine say's .005 to .009 clearance top and bottom. If your cutting with .008 dia wire, it will cut slower than .010 dia. wire. What type of wire are you using and do you have the correct tech. for the wire you are running? Also look into a coated wire, if you looking for more speed.

If you click on the soft keys "current E-pac" and then "data book" you open up a PDF of the technology along with typical feed rates for each E-pac...I refer to it all the time to see if all is good. I like Power Master off for most cuts and for a flat plate I go for the .010" clearance for the upper head. You get much better back pressure and thus flushing back down the kerf that way and you don't need to use the E adjust much if at all.