584,842 active members*
4,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > Spindle speed - faster = better?

Spindle speed - faster = better?

I have a CNC3020T which has a 300W, 8000RPM spindle.
    I want to use this machine principally for making PCBs. I made a board with it today and the board is perfectly usable but the edges of the copper were quite burred. Cleaned up OK with a green scourer and some emery.
    Would a faster spindle give a better, cleaner cut, or just increase the possible feed speed?

Re: Spindle speed - faster = better?

Quote Originally Posted by jimthurgood View Post
    I have a CNC3020T which has a 300W, 8000RPM spindle.
    I want to use this machine principally for making PCBs. I made a board with it today and the board is perfectly usable but the edges of the copper were quite burred. Cleaned up OK with a green scourer and some emery.
    Would a faster spindle give a better, cleaner cut, or just increase the possible feed speed?
    I normal run mine around 20K however I'd prefer it to run at 50K but your best bet is to find the "sweet" spot for your cutter by doing a number of cuts at different feeds side by side, preferably in a zig zag pattern and you will see a marked difference in the quality of cut once you find it, also use a cutting oil of some sort, I use coconut oil and works remarkably well smeared across the top, you will find that you will more than likely need to slow down the feed for your spindle.

I have some GCode for just this that I run on all my pub cutters that I'll post when I get into work

Stephen...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk