585,665 active members*
3,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Losing USB Connection (Win10)

I have been using an MKII with a Windows laptop without much problems for some 5 years and I did not change any hardware on the whole system (originally Win7, and Win10 for the last 2 years) but I did the big summary Windows update over the weekend.

It happened now 3 times over the last couple of days that in the middle of the machine run the USB connection somehow stalled. That means the machine stops after maybe 5 or 10 minutes in the middle of the tool path with the spindle spinning and the machine controls on the PC are grayed out. I never had that before.

I can stop the spindle with the hardware e-stop and when I unplug the USB connector and re-insert, the machine control comes back. All positions are maintained and I can re-start the machine program. If I am lucky, this time the program will finish or like yesterday it will stop again at another point. The program is a rather low speed tool path with few points, so the data transmission speed should not be a problem. The Planet-CNC controller is the only external USB device.

Question: is this more likely to be a PC problem or something going on in the controller? I will try another PC tonight and see what happens but maybe somebody else has already experienced this symptom and knows what to do.

JB
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Re: Losing USB Connection (Win10)

Check (and disable) all power saving options, including ones in BIOS.

All power savings options are already disabled.

I made another attempt last night and the program finished without problem. I am beginning to suspect the current heat wave as the source of the failure. When the problems occurred, it was like 35 degrees C in the shop (my garage) and maybe the old laptop just got too hot? The little fan opening blows out some pretty hot air. I will try to open that thing and make sure the heat sinks are free of dust.

This is very plausible. Overheating can cause PC to behave funny. Computer tries to cool down by using various emergency power saving techniques.

I managed to open that laptop (older HP Pavillion), clean the fan and heat sink and put it back together successfully (with some Youtube help) but will not try that again. I never imagined that such a compact device has that many screws, ribbon cable connectors, snap hooks etc. Oh well, it took about 2 hours and is now working again even with 4 screws left over. But I found a note in the manual that this device may not run properly above 35 deg C anyway. I guess I need an air conditioned shop...