585,877 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Have you worked with Unigraphics?

Have you worked with Unigraphics?

Recently I have visited Topperware company, a friend of mine works in there, so he gave me a tour around the factory and showed me the manufacturing process, the mould injection machinery they use is big and very nice to watch, hot also.

So as we continued the tour he walked me into the CAD/CAM departament wich also had quite a lot of CNC machinery an one very sophisticated DRO machine, I could not get any closer to see in detain or the maker of the machines because it was not his departament and he preferred I didnt touch anything so I did not.
    They use Unigraphics for CAD and also for CAM, I have talked to one designer and he commented that they have only one UG CAM licence, and other workstations had only CAD licences.

From the UG site http://www.plmsolutions-eds.com/ I understood that their product is kind of expensive, more than PTC software?
    Me I only used free version Pro Desktop and still have my 5 year licence so I can play with it a while, now PTC have dropped the whole 'free' deal.

So I am interested from hearing about you guys who used Unigraphics, what can you comment?

Not sure what you want to know. UG is a good program it was the first 3-D program I really was able to get into.

It can be very involved and the system works really well. They have a package similar to PTC's product but I believe that UG made a lot of headway in the mid to late 90's. Their biggest customer is GE.

The system used to be called uiapt becasue it was based on the apt language for boeing for machining complex airframe parts.

If you were looking for more detail let me know.

Todd

Very good software but very involved. It makes doing the simple
    things difficult, but very, very powerful.
    If you got a chance to learn it, i'd highly recommend it.

PEACE

Well actualy as I have said I have only used a little bit of ProE Desktop. I have downloaded this free plans for a gyro called GyroBee, and wanted to make the model of it on ProD but making the partes was not as hard as make the assembly, either I dont know how to make it properly but I eventualy got to the point where I could not make a single align,mate or center axes, ProD plainly refused to do anything complaining about overconstraints. And besides I need to upgrade my ol 450 AMD k6-III.

So what I want to know is: if the UG is simpler than ProE ?
    Quirckier? Buggier?

UG NX2 is a big step forward from NX.

I use NX2 at work now and its not that hard to do stuff.

I think its easier to use than ProE and even more powerful.

Also have a look at Catia, it's up there with UGNX2.

You may want to upgrade before trying either. The UG stations are Duel 3gig setups.

Thanx

Boros