584,846 active members*
3,856 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need advice on laser engraving machine

I have looked over this forum and have found the following laser engravers recommended.

LightObject (Sacramento CA)
    Automation Tech (Chicago)
    Rabbit Laser USA in (Ohio)

And possibly ThunderLaser.

It also seems the Leetro controller has a bad reputation and the Ruida is preferred.

I am looking for a 30W plus system for engraving part numbers in steel, plastic and rubber. Examples of what i want to engrave would be part numbers on torque wrench handles, A flat on a 3/8 steel nuts and then more normal flat pieces.

Some features that i want is an easy focus system, like two laser dots converging and a part number placement preview of either a box showing were the text will be placed, or the text itself in low power laser light.

Do these lower cost all in one laser engraver/cutter machines have these features.

Wally

Re: Need advice on laser engraving machine

Have you seen endurance laser? It is diode laser, its seem easy to handle if you just want to engrave ...
    Its look like easy to maintain ...

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Have you seen endurance laser? It is diode laser, its seem easy to handle if you just want to engrave ...
    Its look like easy to maintain ...
    Good idea, i looked them up, the biggest laser they make is 8W and is not intended for steel.

If anyone knows of higher power lased diodes let me know.

This write up says "Q-Switched Fiber Lasers are ideal for marking on stainless steel and other metals"

"solid state Ytterbium fiber laser systems of near infrared spectral range (1060-1080nm)."

Laser Photonics | Laser Marking Stainless Steel

Wally

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_4_me View Post
    I have looked over this forum and have found the following laser engravers recommended.

It also seems the Leetro controller has a bad reputation and the Ruida is preferred.

I am looking for a 30W plus system for engraving part numbers in steel, plastic and rubber. Examples of what i want to engrave would be part numbers on torque wrench handles, A flat on a 3/8 steel nuts and then more normal flat pieces.

Some features that i want is an easy focus system, like two laser dots converging and a part number placement preview of either a box showing were the text will be placed, or the text itself in low power laser light.

Do these lower cost all in one laser engraver/cutter machines have these features.

Wally
    You’ll need 2 separate machines - for metal and organic materials. There are few “combo” ones with 2 laser tubes but their price is higher than 2 machines with a single laser. You’ll need to decide between flatbed and galvo-head. The galvo option seems to be the right way to go in your case, but you will have to find a way to deal with the toxic fumes from the process. Most likely you will need a dedicated closed area with excellent ventilation.

The flatbed could be an option if you make custom jigs for the parts - you wont need to worry about preview/positioning or focusing. Of course the speed and precision of the flatbed machines will be significantly lower.

Storen, thanks for the reply. Are the flatbed laser machines adjustable in the Z axis? I saw a retrofit kit to make Z axis adjustable and now i am not sure if all or most flatbeds have no ability to change the Z axis.

Wally

Yes, most are. The work bed can be moved up and down to allow for taller parts and rotary devices.

Wally,
    would you like to import from China directly ? our G.WEIKE brand will be a choice
    for metal engraving ,nor fiber laser marking machine can work ,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-So...ature=youtu.be

and for nonmetals ,small laser engraving machine also can meet your demands
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTQc9zRL5yM

Lucy

Wally
    Lucy Lee G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

I'd advise you to skip Weike if you want(need) after sales service. Ridiculously poor. Unless you are Tech savvy with Chinese machines, you'd definitely be better off going with a US supported version. Rabbit has a great reputation.

A lack of support would be a problem.

Wally

Hi, I apologise if I'm barging in on your post, but as it's info on lasers that is being discussed.......what are the characteristics of laser engraved metals?.....is this a burn appearance (oxidisation) that you get when you heat metal and get an oxidised blackening on the burn area?

I see a lot of the very cheap micrometers on EBAY have the markings on the spindle and barrels that appear to be etched, or is it laser engraving I'm seeing?

The metals are satin chromed and the markings are not engraved into the metal surface but on it.

I have to wonder how durable the laser engraving is and won't rub off to bare metal with time etc.
    Ian.

endurance_robots Guest
    if you need powerful, reliable and ultimate after-sales service, try Endurance DIY engraving machine

http://endurancelasers.com/laser-eng...ers/diy-laser/

endurance_robots Guest

Exclamation

if you need powerful, reliable and ultimate after-sales service, try Endurance DIY engraving machine

http://endurancelasers.com/laser-eng...ers/diy-laser/

Wally
    I advice you to go for Rabbit Laser USA in (Ohio) because adjustable.