584,846 active members*
4,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > DeskCNC Controller Board > DeskCNC - Should I Deep Six it?

DeskCNC - Should I Deep Six it?

It's been an adventure in non reliability. I bought a used Sherline Mill with servo motors and DeskCNC with a Generation 2 controller. I am planning to use the machine for doing small pearl inlay work, printed circuit boards, small hardware, wooden bridges and saddles (3 D?) for my guitar making shop.

Here's where I'm at:

Machine Velocities Tab
    Acceleration 15000000
    Scale 20
    max velocity 83750
    start 8375
    fast jog 10
    med jog 1
    slow jog .1
    contouring = 1
    Speed Range = 40-125000 SPS

Axes Setup Tab
    x home=0 steps/in 112941.17 backlash=0
    y home=0 steps/in=-112941.17 backlash=0
    z home=0 steps/in=-112941.17 backlash=0

DeskCNC Setup Tab
    X min/max 0, 10
    y min max 0, 10
    z min max -2, 5
    Port Com1
    Buffer output
    Decimal separator = .
    Units = inches

Machine Tab
    Axes 3
    A Axis Rotary
    Soft Homing zyx
    Slave None
    2nd Generation Controller
    Encoder CPR 5647

I have managed to post a program to cut pockets for my name logo (for headstock inlay), all nine letters of it. It's pretty much arcs.
    I've pulled the motors off the machine to test. No screw or gib loading - one less thing to suspect.
    The program will run 2 times, and then will servo fault on run 3.
    I have tested other programs
    a 1 in. circle pocketed with a 1/32 end mill - I tested it 5 times with a cycle time of about 6min35sec

Some questions I have are:

Does anyone out there have some benchmark parameters that work? The IMSRV site http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/setup/ has pdf files that are too small to read and just become pixelated when zoomed in.

If I abandon DeskCNC and the controller, is there a comparable alternative? Should I bother to keep the drivers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--carl

Re: DeskCNC - Should I Deep Six it?

Is it worth your time trying to getting it to work like what you wont
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd like to see how this thread progresses, I bought a diy router (machine tool camp) that has a DeskCNC controller and while I haven't yet set up the machine since I'm waiting on our new router building to be finished up, I'm concerned that DeskCNC is going to be the weak link of the machine.

I started a thread asking what I needed to do to convert it a few weeks ago I still haven't received many replies.

Thanks
    Gary

I've found a loose connection in the hardware that could be the culprit

and I also found a bad crimp in one of the 4 pin Molex housings. Also, the power supply connections are daisy chained as opposed to star wired. From what I have heard this is not the best practice.

I will get back to this project when I have some idle seconds.I also have a Sherline lathe conversion project going on, but I will be using steppers and most likely Gecko drives with Mach3. After that a coil bobbin winder for guitar pickups.

Gary Wiant -- I'd like to see the router when you get it

Gmguitar, I would suggest a different way rather than this machine..

There are so many idle machines,
    that is it easy to "rent" rather than hack your Sherline machine into making parts.

Own the data, send out the cutting, get parts make guitars
    Been doing this too long

In a perfect world - yes.

I know too many builders who have spent more time and money dealing with shoddy work from subs, and conclude that it's best done in house. And most of us small guys aren't cranking out the volumes that the job shops set minimums at.

When your name goes on the product -- blah, blah, blah.

If I had the space I'd buy one of the idle machines

Carl, I have been using DeskCNC since 2004. Never missed a beat, other than when their last software update went in. It did not like very old Gen-2 cards. BTW, the latest software is v2.0.2.76, what are you running?

As I said, the cards are very good, the software is very good, but due to Fred or Carl not supporting them anymore, I have swapped over to PlanetCNC. The Mk 3 controller is great, but a larger footprint card. It can handle 9 channels. The closest equivlent to the DeskCNC Gen 2 card is the Planet CNC Mk 3 Eco card. Very small, like the DeskCNC card, and also runs 4 chnanels. The PlanetCNC software takes a short while to get used to, but it allows for a far greater setup scope than the DeskCNC software.

Cheers,

Francois
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deskcnc Manual.pdf   Troubleshooting the Controller.pdf   DeskCNC Toolsetting.pdf   DeskCNC G-code.pdf  

Attached Files Attached Files

I have the DeskCNC on a DynaMyte 2000 mill and it runs very well. Never a problem. I don't know the generation of the card set but it drives the three axes very well. In comparison, I have a FlashCut controller on a TAIG mill (steppers) and it too is very good.

The DynaMyte was given to me after the owner spent 3500 dollars having a friend convert it from steppers to servos with DeskCNC inside the old DynaMyte electronics cabinet. It works very well and is accurate to better than 0.001" over the entire (and small) work envelope of the mill.

I am concerned about the lack of forward movement by the DeskCNC software folks but I can hardly complain other than to note that the existing software is not as good as the FlashCut product.

I used DeskCNC years ago. But between Fred and his attitude and lack of support its long gone. The last systems I have been using is Mach3 and its a long ways from perfect but at least you can get answers and not have to pay for support. . Ideally when I get fed up with Mach3 and so far its been great, I will change over to the Acorn. Yes you can use all your old drivers and stepper motors. Its just a matter of making sure you write down or copy all the settings.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Thank you all for your input. I'm just getting back to this project after making some space in the shop to use it again.. I'll be testing it out soon - probably the next week or so. I also want to learn to use helical interpretation for thread milling, but first want to get some cutters made with my Kuhlmann grinder, or find a cutter for cheap?

Lots of learning curves!