584,826 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutting/engraving aluminium foil

I'm looking for laser cutting / engraving machine for cutting flexible aluminium foil laminate. Laminate would have 10um aluminium foil on top of 50um PET film. I would need to make flexible PCB.

I wonder if laser can do the job. I believe 20W fiber laser can cut aluminium, but I'm not sure, if it would cut through the PET film as well.

CO2 laser probably do nothing for the aluminium.

I wonder if someone has tested aluminium foil with 15W mini laser engraver?

https://www.amazon.com/Zowaysoon-Eng.../dp/B01NAK31AG

450-455nm laser should burn aluminium?

Re: Laser cutting/engraving aluminium foil

Hello, matti-laser.

I need a laser to cut aluminum for a similar application. Did you try the 15W mini laser? Did you manage to solve your problem.

I have not find solution yet. I don't have access to 15W mini laser, but according to suppliers, it cannot cut foil. My current understanding is that you would need MOPA fiber laser for cutting. Average power is pretty much same as in low cost "15W mini laser", but it can make very short pulses with kW power levels. MOPA fiber laser is just much more expensive. Another problem is caused by plastic substrate, which will melt.

Hi dear friend !

we are in leaser cutting machine field sicne 2004.

dear for cut aluminium then need fiber laser cutitng machine like 500w 750w or more bigegr power,
    and if marking aluminium then need fiber laser makring machine, and like 20w 10w 30w etc.

MOPA fiber makring machine is with color makring, so if you not maktng with color, normal fiber makring mahcine is ok,

and belwo is our fiver makring mchine and fiber laer cutting mahcines, for more news fiber cutitng and ifber makring for aluminium plase coanctt me :

Quiven form gweike laser
    whatsApp;8615698041856
    [email protected]

Hello matti-laser,

We are manufacturer of laser machines and cnc cutting machine.
    20W fiber marking machine can cut the aluminium foil, if you'd like, we have machine and we can test for you.

www.aollaser.net/ www.aollasercncs.com

Sending some samples of the material to a couple of manufacturers along with a test file for them to cut/engrave might be a good idea. Ask them to post a video on Youtube of the job being run.

we are manufacturer of fiber laser marking machine. but with your demand, laser can't finish it.
    Fiber laser can cut aluminum but not cut pet; co2 laser can cut pet, but not cut aluminum. You can try to use some knife

A 20 watt fiber laser can cut aluminum up to 0.5mm, not one pass though, but if it`s only aluminum foil then I guess it can cut in one pass, we have 4 different kinds of CNC lasers in the shop but none of the CO2 based can cut or even just scratch an aluminum material, only the fiber laser.

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    Sending some samples of the material to a couple of manufacturers along with a test file for them to cut/engrave might be a good idea. Ask them to post a video on Youtube of the job being run.
    I have done that, but no success yet. PET will melt easily.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERAlex View Post
    we are manufacturer of fiber laser marking machine. but with your demand, laser can't finish it.
    Fiber laser can cut aluminum but not cut pet; co2 laser can cut pet, but not cut aluminum. You can try to use some knife
    My hand is not accurate enough to cut tracks 100um wide with knife. I cannot also cut aluminium without cutting through PET as well with knife.

If you just want to remove alu and not touch the PET then photo etching is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    If you just want to remove alu and not touch the PET then photo etching is the way to go.
    Do you have good instructions to do photo etching? What kind of resist and etchant?