585,705 active members*
4,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Gibbs Workflow Advice on Specific Job

Gibbs Workflow Advice on Specific Job

Hello!

I am getting some parts made by an inexperienced gibbs programmer. I am trying to gather information to help him with these parts, as they are different than what he is used to, which is 3D surfaces in hard foam. I have attached a clip of the parts.

One half I have designed a 'scaffold' around, and left at least .3 between parts and walls. The other half I have left blank to clarify the types of parts these are. I am not sure the scaffold is needed, depending on programming techniques?

These will be cut on an AXYZ Millenium Router, using 2-Flute 1/4" and 2-flute 1/8" endmills. The material is .375" 6061 aluminum. Hopefully my 37degree aluminum-specific endmills arrive in time, otherwise normal 2-flute end mills.

If possible I want to just use these 2 endmills, but I am open to using pilot holes and drilling all the different diameters with a drill press.

Ive posted a similar thread in MasterCAM forum, they have that also, but even less experience.Please help, ive got to get this sorted by wednesday.

Thank you

Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nesting.jpg  
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Update

Well, I managed to get a copy of gibbs to use from school until I am done with this project. Got to get it sorted by tuesday, to cut on wednesday.

Have decided on the following method unless someone tells me a better way:

Use the drill process and contour process to program majority of parts. Cut them to around .007 from sacrifice material. Drill straight through.

Following Operations:

1- Start with .125 twist drill bit, drill the aprox 50 holes that are smaller that .25
    2-Manually change to .250 twist bit Drill the aprox 20 .25 or larger holes
    3-Manually change to .125, 2-flute end-mill to attempt to cut countersinks and drill sizes that there are no collets for.. These will have the .125 pilot holes already.
    4-Manually change to .250, 2-flute flat end-mill cutter. Cut slots, then pockets
    5-Cut all contours to around .005 to .08 from 0

I am worried about the 1/8" end-mill breaking. Or the .125 Drill Bit.. Scary stuff, with a ~$80 piece of material and 2 inexperienced programmers at the helm of a machine meant for cutting softer materials! My only hope is that by preparing as much as possible and over designing the process in advance, I can make it all possible in 1 day without being in the way at the shop.. Oh boy.

I currently do not have much gibbs experience, and none with the 2d or 2.5d stuff at all.. Neither does the guy who usually runs the machine. Furthermore, he claims he has never done a toolchange. I think I can figure it out though.

It should go great(looks at feet)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails part nest 3.jpg  
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info