584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > NEPA Scranton Wilkes Barre area CNC group

NEPA Scranton Wilkes Barre area CNC group

Looking to start a group for people interested in CNC in NEPA to help and learn from each other. All are welcome at any experience levels.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by dvaskie127 View Post
    Looking to start a group for people interested in CNC in NEPA to help and learn from each other. All are welcome at any experience levels.

[email protected]
    You can count me in. I'm all about cnc. There's always something new. Lately I've been experimenting v-carving (engraving as opposed to simple pocketing which always leaves a radius in the corners). I'm interested in diamond bit drag engraving as well as laser engraving too, and it just so happens that there's someone in your neighborhood who does that.

Also very intrigued by 4th axis stuff. Only lately I've been getting into variable feedrate (high speed machining) that allows me to cut at a continuous material removal rate. In other words driving the bit is like driving a car, you have to slow down for corners. But when you're on the straight-a-way you can accelerate. Programming an "adjustable" feedrate typically yields about a 50% less machine time while extending tool life by double. It's a pretty darn cool thing. The feedrate speeds up if you take a light cut and slows down if you take a heavy cut, thus maintaining a constant material removal rate. At the end of the day, this works out to be a big plus as far as time and tools are concerned.

There's many, many other areas of cncing that I'm into and although I haven't cut aluminum yet, I'm fixing on doing just that. I've come up with a nice little clamping system that I want to put to the test.

Did I mention vacuum pods? I think the pods have a distinct advantage in that they raise your part allowing for full profiling without tabs.

Automatic tool changers... The list goes on... There's always something new to learn in the world of cnc!

Re: NEPA Scranton Wilkes Barre area CNC group

I'm just outside Wyalusing about an hour north of WB. I would definitely be interested in a group. I have an open builds OX that I built 2 years ago, a TAZ5 3d printer and a few manual machines. I have a lot to learn and can maybe help someone with builds or custom parts. I'm currently looking for a cnc mill or manual mill and conversion to replace my manual bridgeport. If I propose we meet at the Longhorn in WB one evening next week is anybody in?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSkid View Post
    I'm just outside Wyalusing about an hour north of WB. I would definitely be interested in a group. I have an open builds OX that I built 2 years ago, a TAZ5 3d printer and a few manual machines. I have a lot to learn and can maybe help someone with builds or custom parts. I'm currently looking for a cnc mill or manual mill and conversion to replace my manual bridgeport. If I propose we meet at the Longhorn in WB one evening next week is anybody in?

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome,

Centroid makes excellent controllers and I'm certain can convert your Bridgeport. They're in the middle of PA. Definitely check out the acorn. You can use pretty much whatever motors you like including servo as long as it accept stepp and direction. For true closed loop it's a bit more.

I'm looking for an appropriate mill for cutting small stainless steel 4x2x1" parts. But it must be as small and rigid and light as possible and be able to stand up to continuous duty cycle. So that's a bit of a challenge for me. I've only ever cnc'd wood.

Alex

There's many, many other areas of cncing that I'm into and although I haven't cut aluminum yet, I'm fixing on doing just that. I've come up with a nice little clamping system that I want to put to the test. Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox
    Last edited by blankitatyra; 11-22-2019 at 10:09 PM.

jameslit

I have an open builds OX that I built 2 years ago, a TAZ5 3d printer and a few manual machines. I have a lot to learn and can maybe help someone with builds or custom parts liteblue
    Last edited by jameslite; 12-01-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: mistakes

There are many, many other areas of connection in which I am involved and, although I have not yet cut the aluminum, I am deciding to do that. I came up with a nice little restraint system that I want to test. GGmedia dich vu SEO