584,837 active members*
4,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > South Bend Machinery > Help with South Bend Magnaturn CNC lathe
Page 2 of 2 12
    I still have the 1218 and would like to sell it for $5000. I have gotten it running and have not used it for any jobs as I use my Fanuc controlled machine and need the room. E-mail me if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Scott Hamilton
    [email protected]

do you have a software for a 612, sell me a copy

do you sell a copy of the software for a 612

S B 612

guys, I don't know anything about the control, but was looking at the Centroid web site and thay had retrofitted one and thay spoke very highly of it, don't know the price of the retrofit. www.centroidcnc.com

Does anyone have software, for the 1218 Magnaturn and is this Lathe supposed to have one or two floppy drives. I just acquired a Model 1218 with one drive, but the Owner's manual refers to two drive.

cncnovice

Magnaturn

I saw a pair of 1218's go for some ridiculous amount on eBay recently - hope that wasn't you. Anyways, the first models (like the first PC's) had two floppy drives. Later models had only one floppy with a hard drive.

Magnaturn 1218 (need help)

HELP I recently bought a Southbend 1218 Magnaturn lathe. I found someone that owned one that has been very helpful. His and mine has a lot of differences. I am going to try to post pictures of the tool turret of both. His had mounting holes for the encoder and for the proximity sensor. Mine had none. Mine has 4small screws holes in the same circle as the large with the cap screws. When I bought this one the encoder was missing and the cord that went to it had been cut. There were 2 proximity switches that were unhooked and just hanging. I need to know where all this went? I would like any help offered. Thanks (I will see if I can post pictures.[email protected]

Magnaturn with hydraulic system

Hi everybody.

I've recently bought one south bend lathe listed on ebay and I feel again in the middle of an old trouble I used to have when I was trying to retrofit a bridgeport mill with hydraulic tru trace controls. I abandoned that proyect because in that time I didn't figured out how to solve the servo hydraulics in a cheap way.

Now nine years later I'm gonna try a solution like this (see Method and apparatus for controlling hydraulic systems) for the south bend lathe. Maybe using some arduinos for operation of the servo valve, trying to keep the same linear encoders, in case they doesn't work, I will use a syncro pulley-rotary encoder array, because they are cheaper.

If every works fine shure I will resume the hyd mill conversion.

Alfonso.

Re: Help with South Bend Magnaturn CNC lathe

Hello,
    See its an old thread, but thought i would see... I just got a Magnaturn 1218 with 2 floppy drives. Machine wasn't working, all it was is one of the copied floppy disks was corrupted. I installed the factory disks and now its up and running. That said iam currently looking at retrofitting with a AC servo system in the near future. And eliminating almost all of the hydraulic system, minus the hydraulic draw tube for chuck or collets.
    Is anyone interested in any parts of this machine?
    Thanks,
    Troy

Re: Help with South Bend Magnaturn CNC lathe

Hi Troy,

Any chance you are getting rid of the Hydraulic tailstock? Assuming you still have any of this since the post was over 4 years ago!

Thanks!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Hello,
    See its an old thread, but thought i would see... I just got a Magnaturn 1218 with 2 floppy drives. Machine wasn't working, all it was is one of the copied floppy disks was corrupted. I installed the factory disks and now its up and running. That said iam currently looking at retrofitting with a AC servo system in the near future. And eliminating almost all of the hydraulic system, minus the hydraulic draw tube for chuck or collets.
    Is anyone interested in any parts of this machine?
    Thanks,
    Troy

Page 2 of 2 12