584,800 active members*
4,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Huanyang P2 vfd 1.5kw RS485 setup
Page 1 of 2 12

Huanyang P2 vfd 1.5kw RS485 setup

I have got a Huanyang P2 vfd 1.5kw
    it works well in everyway but now I need to let it communicate with mach3 via its RS485
    I have got the RS485 to usb adaptor (ch340 chipset)
    its driver installed normally @ port 4

I went through routes trying this to work
    1. via the Huanyang vfd plugin Mach3 plugin for Huanyang VFD | Le royaume d'éole

2. via mach3 modbus

please note that this P2 vfd does have :

0: non-standard
    MODBUS protocol
    1: standard MODBUS
    protocol
    2: ASCII

I have also tried to alter the wires of the RS485 adapter in both trials, did not work also

the port is open but no communication occurring
    I am assuming the mach3 plugin will not work on this vfd as it is not created for it
    the modbus on mach3 is very complicated and have a lot of setting that i dont understant
    All I need is to control on/off and speed control via mach3

hope to get some help here
    here is the vfd manual
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YbR...?usp=drive_web

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 93929265_610972092828139_1498896745390669824_n.jpg  

Re: Huanyang P2 vfd 1.5kw RS485 setup

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicman View Post
    I have got a Huanyang P2 vfd 1.5kw
    it works well in everyway but now I need to let it communicate with mach3 via its RS485
    I have got the RS485 to usb adaptor (ch340 chipset)
    its driver installed normally @ port 4

I went through routes trying this to work
    1. via the Huanyang vfd plugin Mach3 plugin for Huanyang VFD | Le royaume d'éole

2. via mach3 modbus

please note that this P2 vfd does have :

0: non-standard
    MODBUS protocol
    1: standard MODBUS
    protocol
    2: ASCII

I have also tried to alter the wires of the RS485 adapter in both trials, did not work also

the port is open but no communication occurring
    I am assuming the mach3 plugin will not work on this vfd as it is not created for it
    the modbus on mach3 is very complicated and have a lot of setting that i dont understant
    All I need is to control on/off and speed control via mach3

hope to get some help here
    here is the vfd manual
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YbR...?usp=drive_web

thanks
    Did you add those wires, they are not suitable for a RS485 connection, it has to be a shielded cable, has your VFD Drive not got the JP6 485 communication port, if it does not then it may not have the RS485 hardware also

The plugin may not work with your VFD Drive as it was not written for than model drive
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Did you add those wires, they are not suitable for a RS485 connection, it has to be a shielded cable, has your VFD Drive not got the JP6 485 communication port, if it does not then it may not have the RS485 hardware also

The plugin may not work with your VFD Drive as it was not written for than model drive
    this is the only RS485 pins i could found on that vfd
    i soldered these wires to a terminal block so that i can easily access it
    I have wired only the RS485 + and -ve, i am not even sure what the other 2 pins for

what do you mean there is no RS485 hardware on the vfd? there are a lot of info and settings available for that on the manual and the vfd parameters

how to make sure?

thanks for the help

this is the only RS485 pins i could found on that vfd
    i soldered these wires to a terminal block so that i can easily access it
    I have wired only the RS485 + and -ve, i am not even sure what the other 2 pins for

what do you mean there is no RS485 hardware on the vfd? there are a lot of info and settings available for that on the manual and the vfd parameters

how to make sure?

thanks for the help
    The manual is generic it will show everything even though it does not have those functions, because it did not have the connection for the RS485 I would say it does not have the hardware to run it, this is quite common with these cheaper drives It would not be a normal for you to add wires for a RS485 connection

Your drive can be controlled by a Relay for the FWD run and by 0-10v for the speed control
    Mactec54

The manual is generic it will show everything even though it does not have those functions, because it did not have the connection for the RS485 I would say it does not have the hardware to run it, this is quite common with these cheaper drives It would not be a normal for you to add wires for a RS485 connection

Your drive can be controlled by a Relay for the FWD run and by 0-10v for the speed control

I agree I find it not normal to solder wires but the manual is specific for this model
    it is not a cheap vfd, it is a vector control vfd
    check this from its manual
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	454942

Name:	image (1).png 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	454944

Did you try the non-standard Modbus for the La Royaume plug in?
    It appears to have quite a few options over the standard Huanyang!
    I see they even bring the +-24vdc PLC supply out also!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Did you try the non-standard Modbus for the La Royaume plug in?
    I see they even bring the +-24vdc PLC supply out also!
    Al.
    exactly, and yes as i mentioned in the original post i tried both!
    in my case do i need to use the +5v and GND pins?

For RS485 you should not need to, I did not using the older versions of VFD's.
    I know some convertors do not play well!
    From what I saw in the manual, there was not alot on the Modbus interface.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    For RS485 you should not need to, I did not using the older versions of VFD's.
    I know some convertors do not play well!
    From what I saw in the manual, there was not alot on the Modbus interface.
    Al.
    there is indeed a lot about the modbus and rs485 in the manual, it is a very detailed 66 pages manual
    but this page is telling me that this vfd does not have the hardware for rs485 although all the parameters about rs485 and modbus do exist on the vfd, very frustrating , i will contact the company

Name:	Capture 6.JPG 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	454966

There have been some models in the past that had Modbus in the manual, but the IC position was not populated with a chip!
    Al.

Albert E.

I agree I find it not normal to solder wires but the manual is specific for this model
    it is not a cheap vfd, it is a vector control vfd
    check this from its manual

Name:	image.png 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	454942

Name:	image (1).png 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	454944
    Being a Vector Drive does not make it any better than a regular V/F drive, if you are running a 400Hz spindle, the Vector side of it will not work with a 400Hz spindle unless they have changed the Vector software so to date none of there Vector Drives have worked with the high Frequency Spindles there are very few VFD Drive that will work with the High Frequency Spindles they will run in the vector mode but will not do anything different than a normal V/F drive

If it had the RS485 it would of been on the Control Circuit terminals or it's own special JP6 plug which will be most likely under the cover or sometime they use the KeyPad connection so you may have to go look for the connection it is not where you have added the wires which have to be Shielded Twisted Pair
    Mactec54

Being a Vector Drive does not make it any better than a regular V/F drive, if you are running a 400Hz spindle, the Vector side of it will not work with a 400Hz spindle unless they have changed the Vector software so to date none of there Vector Drives have worked with the high Frequency Spindles there are very few VFD Drive that will work with the High Frequency Spindles they will run in the vector mode but will not do anything different than a normal V/F drive

If it had the RS485 it would of been on the Control Circuit terminals or it's own special JP6 plug which will be most likely under the cover or sometime they use the KeyPad connection so you may have to go look for the connection it is not where you have added the wires which have to be Shielded Twisted Pair
    I got the drive for a 3k rpm motor for a lathe, so the VC is working well for me
    and like you said that vfd does not have the hardware for rs485, the company just replied to me
    but the usb adapter did work very quickly for another vfd that i have
    thank you very much for your help

I got the drive for a 3k rpm motor for a lathe, so the VC is working well for me
    and like you said that vfd does not have the hardware for rs485, the company just replied to me
    but the usb adapter did work very quickly for another vfd that i have
    thank you very much for your help
    Yes the Vector drive will work well at for the low frequency Ac motors
    Mactec54

Yes the Vector drive will work well at for the low frequency Ac motors
    thank you very much for your effort in this great forum

I managed to let mach3 control the spindle via analog inputs
    but i have 2 issues

1. for some unknown reason the max hz i can sent to mach3 is 47.1hz, this should be 50hz, i have already set everything properly in mach and the vfd, so i am not sure why the max is 47.1hz, this makes the gcode input speed not matching the actual speed/hz

2. i cant manage to reverse the the spindle speed! i use m3 and m4 the spindle slows down, relay off, relay on, speed up back to same speed but in same direction

what does it take to signal the vfd to reverse? is the DIR pin used/have effect with pwm setup???

I managed to let mach3 control the spindle via analog inputs
    but i have 2 issues

1. for some unknown reason the max hz i can sent to mach3 is 47.1hz, this should be 50hz, i have already set everything properly in mach and the vfd, so i am not sure why the max is 47.1hz, this makes the gcode input speed not matching the actual speed/hz

2. i cant manage to reverse the the spindle speed! i use m3 and m4 the spindle slows down, relay off, relay on, speed up back to same speed but in same direction

what does it take to signal the vfd to reverse? is the DIR pin used/have effect with pwm setup???
    What kind of motor are you trying to reverse and what is the max RPM Hp Etc

You are not sending anything to Mach3, Mach3 is the control it is using outputs to change the direction and control the speed 0-5v or 0-10v Analog

47Hz being sent to Mach3 not sure what you are trying to do, Mach3 only uses a PWM output to control 0-10v Analog to control the speed need to see some photos of what you are connected too and what Parameters you have set in the VFD Drive and in Mach3 settings
    Mactec54

What kind of motor are you trying to reverse and what is the max RPM Hp Etc

You are not sending anything to Mach3, Mach3 is the control it is using outputs to change the direction and control the speed 0-5v or 0-10v Analog

47Hz being sent to Mach3 not sure what you are trying to do, Mach3 only uses a PWM output to control 0-10v Analog to control the speed need to see some photos of what you are connected too and what Parameters you have set in the VFD Drive and in Mach3 settings

the hz difference issue is not critical now, the reverse is
    i am using this bob here https://warp9td.com/images/BOB_Vendo...line/ST-V2.pdf
    it seems impossible to reverse using it as it uses only 1 relay
    so I was wondering what i can do to reverse by g code using this bob with least work
    a suggestion that i got is to replace the relay with another SPDT relay so it switches between reverse and FW, speed = 0 also equal stop, that is an option but i am not very happy with it
    perhaps add another relay but i am not sure how to wire it and use another unused pin
    the motor is an 1.5kw AC 3ph induction motor, at the moment everything works fine, on/off via mach3 relay, speed control via mach as well, only the reverse is via an external switch to the vfd block terminal X2+com

This might be worth a look... I use this for my spindle with Mach3.
    It took me a while to understand it all, but I worked through it slowly n finally it worked!
    Some guess work along the way...

MM
    ubit-rc.de

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMoog View Post
    This might be worth a look... I use this for my spindle with Mach3.
    It took me a while to understand it all, but I worked through it slowly n finally it worked!
    Some guess work along the way...

MM
    ubit-rc.de
    thank you very much for the link but it is decided now, the version i have got was one of the very first ones in its line and it does not support rs485, that what the manufacturer told me

the hz difference issue is not critical now, the reverse is
    i am using this bob here https://warp9td.com/images/BOB_Vendo...line/ST-V2.pdf
    it seems impossible to reverse using it as it uses only 1 relay
    so I was wondering what i can do to reverse by g code using this bob with least work
    a suggestion that i got is to replace the relay with another SPDT relay so it switches between reverse and FW, speed = 0 also equal stop, that is an option but i am not very happy with it
    perhaps add another relay but i am not sure how to wire it and use another unused pin
    the motor is an 1.5kw AC 3ph induction motor, at the moment everything works fine, on/off via mach3 relay, speed control via mach as well, only the reverse is via an external switch to the vfd block terminal X2+com
    There is part of your problem you need 2 Relays ( 1 ) for FWD and ( 1 ) for REV
    You can see this in your manual

DI1 K1 FWD

DI2 K2 REV

COM

These are the connections you need for FWD and REV

You will have some parameters to set as well

I see you are using a different terminal reference X2 have you changed the VFD Drive you are using

That Breakout Board is not going to do what you need, you want one with 2 Relays on
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12