585,914 active members*
3,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: sodick users

sodick users

I am working on a Sodick A350 (1991) wire EDM, it was bought at auction for making motor laminations. It is my job (part time) to get the thing running, so far so good except for a small glitch.

The computer running the machine is a PC9801 UV, an NEC non-PC apparently popular in Japan. Good news is it works, bad news is some idiot adjusted the DIP switches on the front just below the floppy drives and now I can only get it to boot by going through a strange ritual of dip switch flipping and rebooting, this was found by accident but is clearly not correct. There are three sets of DIP switches, 10 in each set, I am sure they are motherboard possibly bios settings. Does anyone use one of these machines and know the settings?

I have contacted Sodick and no reply

Thanks

Graham

We have a 350. Will check in the morning(Monday Chicago)
    Coop

Ok Graham,
    The first set of dips from left to right are (1 down 7 up)(2up,4down,2up)(5up,1down,2up).
    Also there is a jumper block to the right of dips that only the last 2 pinshave a jumper on. E-mail me at [email protected] with any questions
    Coop

You are a god!!

I'll tell you how it goes!!

Graham

It will boot with those settings but I still have to go through my booting routine involving booting with switch 5 of bank two up (which causes a memory error) before booting again with it down. Booting with it down causes the machine to ask me "how many files".

Once it has been booted once it will boot again without the silly routine but not if you leave it too long. I am wondering if there is a 3v lithium or something on the mother board that needs replacing.

Did my first NC cuts today, just a simple example downloaded from Sodick's website, a tiny shot gun, I scaled it to about 3" long. Very cute cut from 2mm thick brass.

Now need to get some g-code created from our own CAD, I can do this I think with a simple g-code converter plus perhaps a homebrew postprocessor program. The Sodick seems to take fairly standard code formats for the most part.

Thanks again for the help. This is the first EDM machine I have ever used and I have had to clean almost every part of the flushing system, work out how to boot the troublesome PC, fault find temperature problems (4 duff fans on a heat exchanger) and a further list of problems. Still need to sort the AWT, that works but only with some gentle help, the rollers at the top of the tube are worn, the aspirators are probably clogged, you name it. The previous owners were slobs!

Boy this is fun!

Graham

Graham, Taken from Sodick FAQ section
    Coop

Date: 04/27/00 11:50 AM
    Author: Sodick Service
    Subject: Computer won't source on. "How many files 0-15" is displayed.

Q. WHEN I FIRST "SOURCE ON" MY SODICK EDM MACHINE, I GET THE MESSAGE "HOW MANY FILES 0-15" IS DISPLAYED, AND THE COMPUTER WILL NOT SOURCE ON.

A. Your battery in the personal computer of the power supply unit is defective. You can either replace the battery or bypass it by setting switch bank 2 number 5 to the off position on the front of your PC. Please call the Sodick service department for more information.

(http://www.sodick.com/Forums/Index.c...Message_ID=185)

Ah ha. Now I feel stupid for not checking out the FAQ's. At least I know what it is, I can bypass it but it is more than just flicking switch 5 it needs to be in one state booted then turned off put in the other state and booted then another time and it boots.

I think I might change that battery now I am more sure what it is.

AWT now working as well!

Thanks

Graham

Graham, i glad to hear all is fine now! How about some pics?

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Sure no problem, I can even takes some pics of the inner workings etc, this is something I was going to do anyway. After repairing the machine I feel sure that I would build something similar for smaller scale work. I know there are DIY machines out there but I am less than impressed by their design mechanically and electrically.

I'll try and remember my camera tommorow.

Graham

I hope you guys are still talking. I've got a Sodick A325 runs like a champ.
    Can anyone tell me how to turn on the worklight inside the machine housing?
    I've read the books from cover to cover and yes I've turned the switch on and off several time during normal operation. I'm just stumped.

Thanks,

Bruce

New bulb?

You guys know where I can toolholders for my AC3R plunge machine?
    The appear to be Sodick proprietry flange on a standard 30 taper.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    You guys know where I can toolholders for my AC3R plunge machine?
    The appear to be Sodick proprietry flange on a standard 30 taper.
    call edmnetwork....

www.edmnetwork.com
    Registered Linux User #348337
    EMC2 Rocks!!!!

if you run into any snags let me know. I work for sodick as a wire app (hence the name) and i will be going up to the chicago office in a week or so. We keep pretty much one of each model machine on the floor in the back so i might be able to lay my hands on it for a bit and snoop around for you if you have any questions. As far as the toolholders go on the AC3R i will ask around and see what i can come up with. I havent seen many of those still out in the field just sitting around. Most of the time that i go into a shop that has one It is running or the guy is setting up to run it.

Toolholders are "SNT 30"
    I would like another couple of collet holders and some spare collets.
    The collets appear to be proprietary as well.
    Similar to TG-100 but not the same (Doh)
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hello can anyoane help me with the two systems disk of the sodick A350
    PM on [email protected]