585,883 active members*
5,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hey all! I need some advice

Gonna build my first CNC, but i am a newbie to the idea of stepper drivers.
    I need a stepper motor driver for Nema23.
    I found leadshine DM542 on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Leadshine-DM5...40726&sr=8-25-

spons&keywords=leadshine+stepper&psc=1), but nothing on them offical website.

Can i buy this?
    Please, someone help. Thank you in advance!

Re: Hey all! I need some advice

I think it's the same drive that Leadshine calls "M542", dropping the initial "D". Sure, you can buy it, but most people here would recommend holding off until you've actually built the machine you're going to put it on. Things can change in the course of a build - or the project never gets built at all - and once you're done with it, you'll have a more realistic idea of what it will take to drive it. You might decide to use servos, or bigger motors than this will drive, or decide to opt for the convenience of a G-540, which has the breakout board built in. And you'll have more time to read up on motors and drives and all the considerations that go into building a motion-control system that works well.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I think it's the same drive that Leadshine calls "M542", dropping the initial "D". Sure, you can buy it, but most people here would recommend holding off until you've actually built the machine you're going to put it on. Things can change in the course of a build - or the project never gets built at all - and once you're done with it, you'll have a more realistic idea of what it will take to drive it. You might decide to use servos, or bigger motors than this will drive, or decide to opt for the convenience of a G-540, which has the breakout board built in. And you'll have more time to read up on motors and drives and all the considerations that go into building a motion-control system that works well.
    Hi Awerby,

Thanks for your help! I found G-540, it very good. But the price maybe a litte expensive. I will think about your suggestion. Find what i need first, before i buying.

Hi,

The DM542 is an excellent stepper drive updated from Leadshine "M542";
    I've used it myself and am very impressed with its features and performance.
    The DM542 however allows microstepping, use of higher-current steppers, has an integrated heatsink.
    It is a good choice.

Hi, if you build your CNC as a hobby, I think TB6600H will be OK for your NEMA 23, cheap (6.5$ per piece) but can work well. But if you do CNC as a commercial development, and want to improve your CNC's quality, DM542 may be your good choose,it can let stepper motor work smooth and low noise. it'a about 30$ per piece.
    DM542 is for stepper motor which rated current lower than 4A.

Thanks for your kindly help.