584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Need Advice: my first 3D Object

Need Advice: my first 3D Object

I need to make an "jet airplane intake" so I have made a 3D rendering in AutoCAD 2013 and plan to cut a mold out of light weight material.

I have no idea how to cut this. To say I'm a NEWBIE is an overstatement of my qualifications. I haven't even received my CNC yet! Hey, I have ordered & paid for it.

I have ordered a 4 Axis router that comes with Artcam & MACH3 and I intend to buy VCarve Pro. Will any those software's work or do I need to look something else?

Re: Need Advice: my first 3D Object

It would help if you posted a screenshot of the thing you're hoping to make. The programs you mention are for reliefs and sign work, not so much for full 3D mechanical parts. But depending on the part configuration, they might work to some extent. If your new router is coming from China, the software is probably pirated, so Mach3 will be in demo mode which means it will stop working (if it works at all) after 500 lines of code. That's not a lot for a 3D part. But you can buy a license for Mach3 for $150 and get over that hurdle.

What "light material" are you planning to make this mold out of? What are you going to cast into it?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

You'll need to model the mold in AutoCAD, rather than the part. Depending on the shape, you may be able to do it in V Carve Pro.
    As Andrew said, a pic would help.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

This is a screenshot of the final product. Hope this helps.

I kinda knew my software choice weren't the best for 3D work. What would you recommend?

I know there's a great chance the software supplied is pirated. I've already talked to Newfangled about MACH3 or MACH4 and I'm going to get VECTRIC Pro over Artcam.

By light material I was going to hunt for the most compatible foam or balsa wood. The material is not important as it will be used to make a "PLUG" for the final product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails air-intake.jpg  

You have a big learning curve in front of you. I would hold off buying a lot of software until you need more. You will need a control software so get it (Mach or another ). If it was me I would learn Fusion 360, it free for company making less than 100K (hobby). It would be your CAD and CAM package. That all you need right now. It would do your plug or mold. As you decide what project you want to do, you could then go out and get / learn new software. The Fusion 360 will get you off to a good start. I do not think you will regret learning Fusion 360 even if you go a different way later.

If you export your model as an .stl file from AutoCAD, then V Carve Pro will let you load the model and carve the plug.
    There's nothing wrong with AutoCAD, if you know how to use it. I use it for 99% of my cnc work, both 2D and 3D.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think I'll try that! I feel very comfort in AutoCAD. Besides that, the 3D model in already done in AutoCAD.

Thank you.

Are you wanting to machine that as a plug and lay up composite material over it, or mill a 2-part mold that you'd lay up into and join the two halves?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

My desire is to mill a plug out of something like HI-LO 60 then vacuum form a .3mm styrene copy of the outside. I had never considered a 2 part mold but I do not see why that wouldn't work.

Vacuum-forming usually works better with positive forms than negative molds. If you make the mold out of something porous, though, that you can draw air through, you can get it to work.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I've been into R/C Airplanes for over 25 years and find negative molds to be the easy rule and not the exception.

We make a vacuum frame that is basically an air-tight bag that "vacuums" a plastic to the outside of a mold.

That part will be easy for me, but as a 1-armed man now making the mold will be a little harder.

You should look into 3d printers for something like that.

This might be OBE by now and outside of your skillset/tools available, but from the pic you provided it looks like you could use thin aluminum. Model it in Autodesk sheetmetal for your patterns and bend it around round wooden forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo442 View Post
    You should look into 3d printers for something like that.
    I agree with this.

If making a reuseable mold, perhaps not (but perhaps yes), but a sacrificial mold, or a mold that is embedded into the final product, yes. Also the size of this is small, which lends it's self to a 3d printer.

There are some dissolvable 3d printer products that will dissolve in water if this helps. I'm thinking you dissolve the mold after the part has been formed in the case of a positive mold that you can't remove.

I'm not saying that a CNC cutting machine is a mistake, just that in this particular instance, I personally would consider exploring some 3d printing alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWill View Post
    You have a big learning curve in front of you. I would hold off buying a lot of software until you need more. You will need a control software so get it (Mach or another ). If it was me I would learn Fusion 360, it free for company making less than 100K (hobby). It would be your CAD and CAM package. That all you need right now. It would do your plug or mold. As you decide what project you want to do, you could then go out and get / learn new software. The Fusion 360 will get you off to a good start. I do not think you will regret learning Fusion 360 even if you go a different way later.
    Even though I think that autocad and others may be up to something nefarious and I don't like them........this statement does make alot of sense.

On a side note, I also fly RC, and I've been thinking of making some molds for high performance pattern planes made from carbon fiber as a commercial enterprise.

This is to be the mold of an air intake that will be made of a very thin Lexan (0.80).

A 3-D printer would probably be better, but I only have the CNC Router and it's bought and paid for. The 3-D dissolvable media would have been perfect I think.

Now to more important subject; I never got into patter plane. Started with a few Sport planes and then jumped into warbirds. Mostly WWII planes then F-16, F-15, Mig 29 and my personal love; the F-14 Tomcat. Was never temted bu helicopters or drones.

This is an interesting thread.
    My 2Cents
    before you cut the mold,
    have you done a cross-section flow analysis of the duct inner contour?
    Kinda like the real hi performance ones do. (seen a few ducts and intake lips now) ( not talking HVAC )
    Are you getting that sophisticated in RC ?
    Been doing this too long

Funny.....the HVAC ducts that is.

My son is a Rocket Scientist (Aerospace Engineer) and yes he has done both analysis for me. Not really getting that sophisticated...just have that much love for the F-14. I've accumulated all the parts, at a great expense, and am putting as much detail in the modeling as I can. I am disabled now so the build has really slowed and at this point I have decided the Tomcat will never fly. I have a huge mantel so it will have a good home!

I plan to take the air-frame up to Huntersville, NC (NASCAR wind tunnel) and wind tunnel test the aerodynamics of it. That is, if my son makes it home since I no longer drive.

Tomcat, that is quite a model task !!, What scale? What is your loft data ? Just curious because i have been on projects from plywood mockup to machII making those CNC parts. They made the F-14 hot section here in Chula Vista, at Rohr Production parts made in shops all over So Cal. Great hobby you have
    Been doing this too long

It's a smaller scale, 1/10th but the most scale plans I could find. The inlet loft data came from a retired employee of Bayden Engineering Group, and he worked on the original (real) F-14.

My son had to converse with him, they talked math that was WAY over my head.

Even before my stroke I flew a little and built a lot, that was and is my joy...creating something.

That's what drew me to the CNC world, I could see the chance to create.

I still love to go and watch all the planes fly, and smell nitro! There's just nothing like it.

I'm in Charlotte, NC, have some good airfields around me and get to go down to Woodruff, SC and see 1000's of planes at Joe Nalle. Don't really care for camping but 3 nights down there is sheer ecstasy .

Hey Tomcat. Very interesting project you have going. I'm not sure if you have settled on a path to go down (CNC or 3D printer) but have you looked at Shapeways website? They can print your object for you, and you wouldn't have to mess with getting your own printer. If you can model it, they can print it, and it might save you some headaches.