585,591 active members*
2,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Z axis Rapit after rest

Hello I have an IH CNC mill that just started having an issue with Z axis. I started out as a z axis fault so I hit the reset on my machine. ( I have a reset button for each drive built into my control box ) So once I disengage the E ZStop button and reset each drive the Z axis wants to rapid to the moon. I have to press the E Stop button before it crashes into my limit switch.

What could be the issue here?

I have disconnected and reconnected the wires for all Z Axis to assure proper connection and still same thing,

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Re: Z axis Rapit after rest

Do you have the brushed DC servos or the Clear Path servos?

If you have the older Gecko drive DC servos I bet you poped a driver. I have 5 extra here if you want a spare I can give you a good price. You could have lost a encoder but its less common.

You can test the encoder by disconnecting the 70V line to the driver and power the drive +5V. If you rotate the servo and the lights give a yellow then red after a small amount of rotation then the encoder is working. Do it in both directions. If the encoder test good its the driver. Gecko has the test procedures at there site.

Always a chance with brushed servos you have a burnt brush and armature.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Re: Z axis Rapit after rest

thanks for the input . I will swap out my 4th axis drive and see if that helps .TBH I am not sure if they have brushes or not. I can turn the power on with out mach 3 and as soon a I hit my reset button for the drive Z It just takes off
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    Do you have the brushed DC servos or the Clear Path servos?

If you have the older Gecko drive DC servos I bet you poped a driver. I have 5 extra here if you want a spare I can give you a good price. You could have lost a encoder but its less common.

You can test the encoder by disconnecting the 70V line to the driver and power the drive +5V. If you rotate the servo and the lights give a yellow then red after a small amount of rotation then the encoder is working. Do it in both directions. If the encoder test good its the driver. Gecko has the test procedures at there site.

Always a chance with brushed servos you have a burnt brush and armature.