584,866 active members*
4,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > would Step Angle be an issue for changing stepper motors

Question would Step Angle be an issue for changing stepper motors

Hi there,

I have to admit that i have no experience about stepper motors before asking my questions. Thats why you might find weird my question. However i really need your help to figure out if we will be able to change our motors which we use for our machines.

We need UL approved motors to be able to get UL certification however i cannot find similar motors which we use currently. For example the one we use has 1.8 step angle but UL approved motor has 3.6 step angle. I don't know about codes of what we use, but my question is, if i use 3.6 step angle motor and suitable driver for that if code doesn't have anything related to step angle , would those motors work? Or alternatively can anyone help me what specification should we consider for changing our motors? Thank you for your help. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Re: would Step Angle be an issue for changing stepper motors

The 1.8 mean the motor turns 1.8 degree per step or that it has 200 steps/rev (360/200). The 3.6 has half the steps, which which means the 3.6 will turn 2 rev for every 1 the 1.8. basically how fine you need and the number of pulses you can input. UL is a safety lab for the Insurance Industry. they just care that motor won't cause a fire or that it is sound electrically.