584,837 active members*
5,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Survey about 3D printing

Hello, I’m doing a little survey about 3D printing. It’s mostly out of curiosity because I’m designing new open-source 3D printer and although I’m designing it mostly for myself, I plan to publish the plans online. And I would like if the design got somewhat popular (like the Hypercube or Prusa i3, but that's a quite ambitious goal), so I’m doing small market research prior to creating the printer itself. And don’t worry, it’s not market research from some company, I’m just high school students who like 3D printers. After five or seven days I will publish results here.

Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

PS: I apologize for my English. I’m not a native English speaker.

Re: Survey about 3D printing

Tough market. Lots and lots of low cost kits available. 200 u.s. will get a 10x10 inch printer with everything now. Now, if you had an idea no one else thought of, may be a good market.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have a Prusa i3 clone, with a little tweaking it's printing PLA, ABS, Nylon and PET.
    What are you bringing to the party that's better than that?
    Especially considering that the Prusa i3 is already open source?
    I think you're urinating up a large flexible vertical woven support if you don't have a really BIG USP to go with your survey

Sorry, I will not participate in the survey and not read the questions.

I don't know what sort of printer you had in mind, and at which price you plan to sell the drawings but in my opinion it will be very difficult to sell drawings for more than maybe 10-20 USD. To be honest, I think if you can build one from drawings then you make your own drawings as well, so why would anyone buy only drawings? But yes, there are some insecure people who may be ready to pay for your drawings. I have built and designed my own CNC and have received many questions about drawings people wanted to buy, and maybe if I bothered to make proper drawings I could have sold a few. On the other hand, a quality CNC is in the price range of 2-3k USD, so maybe people are more prepared to pay a few tens for drawings than they would be for 3D printer drawings. Just last week I bought this 3D printer kit for about $160 including tax and delivery to my doors, and I must say that after opening the box I am really surprised by the seemingly high quality. I still have to assemble it, but if it is as good as I think it is then I am very happy. This printer is more of an alternative for those who want to start printing fast, I don't have to cut parts and don't have to look for and buy each and every screw, everything came in a well packed box, individual plastic zip-bags and parts list to check. If I'd buy a drawing I'd still need to list and buy parts, maybe from many sources, spending a huge amount of time looking for them. Now I could assemble everything and after just a few hours work I could start printing.

Anyway, good luck with your plans.