586,009 active members*
4,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Cadcam software recommendations??

Just getting started in machining. I would like to use Cadcam software to help design and layout projects, then eventually use same software and files to run mill (after I switch it to CNC).

Any recommendations?

many thanks

-

I taught myself to machine and cad/cam. I use solidworks/camworks and am very happy with it. I tryed bobcad and was not happy with it. It seems to me (like everything else) you get what you pay for. Solidworks/camworks is really intuitive and works great. I got into it about 7 years ago.

Mark

thanks for the reply!

OneCNC is awesome. The software is user friendly and powerful. And the user forum is fantastic- I've only posted a few times on there- most of the time a search turns up the answers to any questions I have had. Just my $.02

Ryan

I think it all depends on how much money you want to spend.
    Joe

The above suggestions are great.
    I use SolidWorks and VisualMill.

ALTHOUGH none of these Softwares will RUN your mill (as you have asked)
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

camware

i use gibbs cam and find it is easy to use and cheap.

what is your intent ?
    if it s for industrial money making i would suggest gibbs or mastercam

if its hobby bobcad sell cheap and works well

or there are free options which aren t as powerfull but do the job here a couple
    http://gcam.js.cx/index.php/Main_Page
    http://www.polaris.com.gr/gsimple/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    what is your intent ?
    if it s for industrial money making i would suggest gibbs or mastercam

if its hobby bobcad sell cheap and works well

or there are free options which aren t as powerfull but do the job here a couple
    http://gcam.js.cx/index.php/Main_Page
    http://www.polaris.com.gr/gsimple/home.html
    Make sure you really do your homework on what you choose. Although it might be tempting pricewise you get what you pay for. Even if it is for hobby use (as mine is) you make a large investment in tools and tooling why frustrate yourself with a bad choice in cad/cam solutions? I am not badmouthing anything just do yourself a favour and make an informed decision.

Mark

Delcam is sweet, very easy to use, but you will pay for it.
    I think it is probably the best out there.

I use rhino/visual mill. It works very well for me. but you need to try a few and decide what works best for you. Some manufacturers like Rhino will give you a free limited download to experiment with and see if it suits your needs.

You may want to look into cambam too. It's a completely free integrated cad/cam and is a good place to start and learn the software. Do a search for it here, it's written by 10bulls who is a regular contributor here.

The big thing though is figuring out what you want to do with it and then finding something that will fill those needs. For example, if your doing exclusively 2.5D then you don't need the full blown 3D power of something like solidworks. There is also some free linux stuff available to experiment with too.

You will ultimately also need something like Mach3 or EMC2 to run your machine (a program that interprets the g-code and translates it into step/direction signale to run your motors..
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

I also use Rhino for design, but I use Madcam for my cam program. It is a plugin for Rhino and works seamlessly like a typical cadcam program. It is quickly becoming quite powerful at a good price.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Spend the big bucks and get the best?
    Mastercam

Watch for extra charges, maintenance, updates and posts.
    I use Esprit, the dealer we got it from has a very nice deal which includes; maintenance, updates and posts free for life! It is the only software I have actually used much, so I couldn't compare it.

I have priced cheaper software which, when all extras are added in, you end up with less software for close to if not more money!
    I hate deburring.....
    Lets go (insert favorite hobby here)

I recomend SolidWORKS/CAM or ProE...they arent leading programs for nothing, used them in school and college... But be ready to cough up big bucks for it...i can even give you a price for Solid if you want but on pvt...

Mastercam has some decent 2 1/2 axis packages.
    You get what you pay for.

I am really interested in Solid Cam, we currently use SolidWorks for modeling.
    Have you had any problems with their cam?
    I hate deburring.....

Gibbs and SolidWorks, Acad for fast 2-D.

Been using ONEcnc eval software, seems powerful and easy to use.
    in ESPRIT, to do one operation takes some times many steps, in "ONE" it's much simpler.

I would love to give it a trial...but we have laid out once for software this year, and doubt I'll get the OK again!

It really works nice if you do your cad work and cam in one program.

Only bad thing I can say is it has a limited # of file formats it can deal with.
    I hate deburring.....

Ok then here we go, this is always a big topic. I have used, Gibbs, featureCam, peps, catia, onecn-crap(that's how bad this cam is),bob-crap(even worse than onecnc), edgeCam, powermill and MasterCam. I'm a full time programmer 80hrs a week so I get a good idea at what's good and bad. If you are serious about the work you are going to do you need to spend that little bit extra. You will only be kicking yourself farther down the line when you have a job to machine that you cam package just will not do in the way you want it to. Onecnc and Bob are just not worth talking about. To some one that has only used these two packages they will probably think they are great, but they really are not. Bad finishes and sod all user control. Catia looks great and machines pretty well, but i found some of the code to be a little long winded. Less lines of code = better finishes. Peps and edgecam are very good packages. You would nt be disappointed if you brought either of these. If all the work you are going to be doing is 2d, then powermill is the choice for you. FeatureCam was always my fav. Easy to use, quick to learn. However featureCam really do push there feature recognition module. And it is a pain in the ass at times. The pick of the cad/cam softwares is MasterCam. By far the best anywhere in the world. You get complete control over your programing. There is not a job that you will ever not be able to do with this software. There are so many different tool paths to use. Here lies masterCams only downfall. For an experienced programmer this is fantastic. It allows lots of control, but for a novice this could confuse them. However, the entry mill level of masterCam is stripped back removing some of the more fancy tool paths while still leaving excellent control with the tool paths that are left. The masterCam is excellent. I live in Australia, and if I have a problem i e-mail masterCam the file before I go home. When i get back to work in the morning they have already sent me back the file with the problem fixed and a detailed message explaining what they have done. I once sent them an extremely complex 5 axis job to get some help with a tool path that I hadn't used before and they sent me back a file with the whole job programed!! It run in the machine first time with no problems.

MasterCam is the only software I will ever recommend to any one. It costs a little bit more, but you get what you pay for. I hope this has been helpful to you. If you need any more info please don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail.

Regards Peter.

[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12