585,722 active members*
4,211 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 3016 Z-axis movement issue

Fadal 3016 Z-axis movement issue

I have a FADAL 3016 1996 I believe. I have not had issues in the past but the machine is fairly new to me.

Today after 8+ hours of deep hole drilling and other operations, interpolation, and tapping. The Z-Axis drops a little when it rapids down. So during G83 now it will jump down a a few thou maybe even ten after the rapid down into the material before it feeds. It is very hard on the tooling and one of the drills is a .96 so it stopped the spindle when it did this little jump. Odd thing is it ran fine all day then just started doing it at the end of the day. No program or setup changes.

I have been searching but have not found similar issues online.

Thanks,
    Caleb

Re: Fadal 3016 Z-axis movement issue

Things I would be looking at

1. Gibbs on the Z axis might be out
    2. Servo coupling might be damaged
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

2. is exactly it! there is a gap in the coupler about .125 gap that I can slide up and down with my finger. I have never messed with the Z-axis. How do i go about tightening it do I need to remove the axis motor?

Thanks!
    Caleb

I got the coupling tightened. It is still doing it. i will check the gibs. I just tightened thema few months ago but have not used the machine much since.

Re: Fadal 3016 Z-axis movement issue

two things as a reminder to tighten the Gibs counterclockwise is tighten. Also you may want to try adding the P-word to your G83 so a P.010 will stop the rapid back into the part .010 from the bottom and then feed