585,676 active members*
5,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > help in finding the best plans and software

help in finding the best plans and software

Hi
    I think I have it down to David Steel's plans or the jgro plans. Can any one give the pro and cons of each of these. I want to do carving in oak, cherry, and maple. If there any other plans out there I should be looking at.
    What books are there out there that I can start reading on how to program the machine. What is the best software? Thanks for any information. What is the best driver to use? Just help me on what you all think would be the best choices for the money. I would love to have the best but not enough money for the best. so I just want the best I can afford for my first machine. I have to be able to cut min 20" wide and 36 to 43 long.
    Thanks for all your help. The more info the better.
    Thanks
    Tim Emler

Hey there, thought i'd give you a little hand before you get buried underneath all these posts, between the David Steel's and the jgro plans i can't tell which is better since i'm in construction of my jgro and haven't done the solsylva, i know the jgro plans are here free, and parts are not too difficult to acquire, from what i understand, carving in hardwoods can be done with it, as far as books go, this forum is better than any book you'll find, best thing to do i guess is place yourself in either the solsylva or jgro threads (whichever one you intend to build) and read as much as you can on other's experiences and ask questions, they are no stupid questions here.

Best drivers for the buck are the xylotex, a ready to go kit, or the hobbycnc kit, this one you have to solder together, but it's the cheapest you'll get out there i think, it's a very good board.

Ooops, now seeing here you need 20" wide min, Jgro is only about 15" wide at most unless you modify it which you can, i David Steele's plans i hear can be easily modified, another choice is Joes2006, plans are free or you can purchase a ready cut kit from him, i think it's cutting area is about 24" x 46", and popular controller software is Mach3, it's about $160, or turbocnc, a free dos based application.

Anymore questions just ask away, i'll try to help as best i can, take care.