585,917 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > WHY is there no pocketing?

WHY is there no pocketing?

I'm fairly new to Edgecam. I learned in CATIA, and I just feel like there is so much missing from Edgecam. Maybe that's just because CATIA seemed to have every option imaginable.

WHY IS THERE NO POCKETING? Like 75% of the milling I've done has been machining pockets. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would omit this, and I can't seem to get the other tools to work properly.

Most of the work I have at my new job is turning, but I still have a lot of complaints about that. I wish I could just click on a surface or a profile and have it see the turn path, instead of having to create a separate piece of geometry for the turn path. Why should I have to model the damn part twice? And the modeling function... don't even get me started. Parametric modeling is far superior and Edgecam is completely lacking this.

I'm literally trying to convince my company to switch. The rest of the divisions of my company has switched to superior programs, and for some reason we're stuck with this.

Re: WHY is there no pocketing?

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite View Post
    I'm fairly new to Edgecam. I learned in CATIA, and I just feel like there is so much missing from Edgecam. Maybe that's just because CATIA seemed to have every option imaginable.

WHY IS THERE NO POCKETING? Like 75% of the milling I've done has been machining pockets. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would omit this, and I can't seem to get the other tools to work properly.

Most of the work I have at my new job is turning, but I still have a lot of complaints about that. I wish I could just click on a surface or a profile and have it see the turn path, instead of having to create a separate piece of geometry for the turn path. Why should I have to model the damn part twice? And the modeling function... don't even get me started. Parametric modeling is far superior and Edgecam is completely lacking this.

I'm literally trying to convince my company to switch. The rest of the divisions of my company has switched to superior programs, and for some reason we're stuck with this.
    Before throwing out a good software tool for the one you know, have you considered training? If you're in the CT region, I've got space in the Intro to CAM course that is running today and tomorrow. In 2 days, you can have a good foundation in the basics of solids-based milling and turning using Edgecam. http://www.m2t.com/wp-content/upload...amWorkflow.pdf

My name is Joe Sanders, and I am the instructor teaching today's course. Would love to have you join us, if you're in the region. 877.311.6284. Sorry to hear of your frustration.

If you're not in the region, I'd recommend starting with whoever provides Edgecam support to your company. I'd expect they can provide the training and technical support, and any applications assistance your company will need. Edgecam is a different product than CATIA. Edgecam doesn't behave anything like what you described.

Catia evolved from the APT language and aerospace , we do much pocketing.
    Ask the Boeing guys what they use.

each cycle has options that when filled out correctly are pocketing operations and more.
    there are depth and stepover increment options for most cycles.

any tool is only as useful as the hand holding it