585,722 active members*
4,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > NOOB NEEDS HELP HAVE A CNC 3018 WITH A "WOODPECKER CNC GRBL 0.9 BOARD) NEED TO UP RPM

NOOB NEEDS HELP HAVE A CNC 3018 WITH A "WOODPECKER CNC GRBL 0.9 BOARD) NEED TO UP RPM

i have a cnc 3018 (chinese cheap model)
    it runs off grbl 0.9
    the motherboard says "woodpecker cnc grbl 0.9
    when i increase rpm past 1000 in grbl the motor's rpm does not increase above 1000.
    it will go below 1000 however.
    the motor is 10,000rpm motor (775 spindle if that matters 24v)
    Do I need a new motherboard to go past 1000rpm?
    im trying to test out what is the highest rpm i can use to complete my project idea but cannot get this one to go past 1000rpm.
    i read something about pwm being 5v (as a maximum) for this machine but idk if i can bypass that?
    can i just inject a higher voltage into the 5v line and make the rpm increase?
    if anyone can help me increase rpm on this machine without having to order any parts I am happy to pay for their time.
    also i am in need of cnc consulting (on an hourly basis) as I am new at this and Im trying to use a cnc to speed up my work flow.

i think this explains some of what im trying to do but im not exactly sure

https://github.com/gnea/grbl/issues/123

Re: NOOB NEEDS HELP HAVE A CNC 3018 WITH A "WOODPECKER CNC GRBL 0.9 BOARD) NEED TO UP

My 1610 with the woodpecker goes to max, which is about 7k rpm with a 775 motor and 24vdc. 36 volts would net 10k. How are you commanding the spindle speed? Are you using grbl to control it, or candle? Btw, the older version of candle works better than the grbl, abort button doesn't send the tool in to the material.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Re: NOOB NEEDS HELP HAVE A CNC 3018 WITH A "WOODPECKER CNC GRBL 0.9 BOARD) NEED TO UP

On my opinion your motor is rated 36 VDC, it`s a brush type motor according to your pictures, if you want to get the full potential of your motor (Full RPM) which you will only get it if you supply 36 VDC on the motor itself, I think it`s better if you separate the power supply of your motor, a dedicated power source (36 VDC) with a separate speed control system, or if you want to control the motor speed and utilize the internal circuit of your existing system I think it`s safer if you splice the power supply foil paths going to the motor itself to separate it from the board`s power supply, just bare in mind that on a brush type motors arcing noises generated by the armature and carbon brushes sometimes interfere with the board itself compromising the machine`s accuracy, I mean if you zero at a certain point then run a program route by the time you let the spindle go home to it`s zero position sometimes it will be off several mm and it`s all because of the noise interference generated by the brushes, so on my opinion a brushless router motor will be the nicest upgrade to your existing unit.

The woodpecker board can handle 36vdc, and I've had zero issues on 12 hour runs losing position.

so my power supply is 24v, i hooked up 30v to the motor and it does increase the rpms when i do that grbl 0.9 is what im using. Someone stated if I upgrade the firmware or edit the config.h file. I can get grbl to allow me to max rpms at 10,000,,, but with grbl 0.9 as it is now, I cannot make the actual motor go over 1000 (without increasing the voltage directly to the motor)
    the control boards power supply shipped with it is 24v (it will take up to 36v) and at 1000rpm the voltage on the motor is 24v

Quote Originally Posted by bruce1129 View Post
    so my power supply is 24v, i hooked up 30v to the motor and it does increase the rpms when i do that grbl 0.9 is what im using. Someone stated if I upgrade the firmware or edit the config.h file. I can get grbl to allow me to max rpms at 10,000,,, but with grbl 0.9 as it is now, I cannot make the actual motor go over 1000 (without increasing the voltage directly to the motor)
    the control boards power supply shipped with it is 24v (it will take up to 36v) and at 1000rpm the voltage on the motor is 24v
    You simply can't increase the motor speed through the config if your already got 24vdc at the motor. Speed =volts. I find it hard to believe your only 1000 rpm at 24vdc though, should be about 7000. Download the grbl program candle version .9, once you have that, check the spindle override box, and move the slider for override and see if you have any control. The grbl that ships with these on the pc side is bad, the abort button tries to drag the tool through the material. Candle .9 does not. Also in your post, make sure you have the spindle speed set to a high value, like 10k, although you will never get there with 24vdc.

Why is this posted in the Laser Engraving section??
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I have exactly the same problem. (i have cnc 2418) motor should have 7000/9000rpm (24/36) and i can reach max 1000.
    I have tried candle, grbl.. Did you solve this problem?

GO AWAY !
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    GO AWAY !
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by The-Chip View Post
    I have exactly the same problem. (i have cnc 2418) motor should have 7000/9000rpm (24/36) and i can reach max 1000.
    I have tried candle, grbl.. Did you solve this problem?
    I,m interested too. Same issue

Regards..

Quote Originally Posted by 31st-Knight View Post
    I,m interested too. Same issue

Regards..
    I've solve this problem by updating firmware from 0.9 to 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by The-Chip View Post
    I've solve this problem by updating firmware from 0.9 to 1.1
    Hi The Chip. well i have to figure it out how to do that on my Woodpecker CNC GRBL 0.9
    Checking the youtube's....

If I remember correctly.. I did it via Xloader with hex file.