584,846 active members*
4,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Stratagies

Stratagies

Hey guys, I still consider myself a newbie here. I graduated from a trade college in 2014 and have worked my way up to now trying to program and operate three VMC's in a job shop type environment. I work for a large manufacturer, and support maintenance by making short run parts for our machines typically 1-5 parts each.
    OK, let me tell you kind of how I run a part from start to finish.
    Typically I will if at all possible chisel the part out of over sized stock. I do not have time to square up blocks. So I will program It with .03 stock above zero, face to zero and either use a ramp contour or Dynamic milling to rough the part out. then come back and do a contour with two passes at 0. I then flip it over and deck off the bottom, and then do any work on that side.
    I am just looking for some advice because they want all three mills running, which is pretty damn hard with these short runs, I will try to set up multiple parts either using toolpath transform in a double vise, or use multiple work offsets.
    like I said, we have three VMC's and one has a probe and tool setter, the other two have to set up the old fashioned way.
    I have thought about setting my work offsets off the back corner of the vise in the two machines that dont have probes. I think this will save me some crucial set up time.
    What about stratagies? some people use a deep doc on face mills .1 or so and moderate feeds, some tell me to take .025 doc and high feed of 100 IPM. I wish I could play around with these ideas but I tend to stick to what I know in order to get things done.
    Any tips on Dynamic milling? we mostly run A2 and I have had trouble burning up tools. I tried to run the spindle speed up fast but had to slow it down because they were freaking out about tooling. I was running a 3/4 end mill at 300sfm and a chip load of about '008 which seems to do pretty good but nothing like some of those guys on youtube.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am trying very hard and feel like im drowning.

Re: Stratagies

you are burning tools up. what type of tool is it Carbide? who makes it ? how many flutes what was the SFM? what path are you doing when burnt them up.
    What was your axle cut?

there are factors and as you asked certain strategies to be used for roughing and finish. I forgot ask what is the machine. I referencing the thoughts for the 3/4 em to start.
    Now I i am including a link to a video I did. I got tool info from the tool vendor based on the material and SFM and suggested FTP range. but this was of course a Dynamic path motion so I new that it would be a good constant engagement and always a climb cut.
    I give the specks in the beginning of the video of what I used.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Re: Stratagies

Thanks for the reply! I found a pretty good feed rate. I'm running a 3/4 carbide at 300 SFM in A2 tool steel with a chip load of .008. That is 1528 rpm at 48 FPM with a step over of 6 %. That gives me a pretty good chip with just a bit of yellow. I can probably bump up the feeds and speeds a little more, but if I run it too fast there will be no way to keep all three machines programmed and set up.
    The main problem I'm having is multitasking. I came from a job shop where you programmed, set up and operated 1 machine the majority of the time. Now I'm trying to keep three going in a job shop environment with short runs of 2-6 parts. I also have to heat treat most of the parts, which is completely new to me.
    I'm just looking for advice on how can I attack this the best way. The benefits and pay are great here.
    The machines are all HAAS. One is a super mini mill, and the other two are VF3's.
    The super has a 10 tool umbrella changer, one vf3 has 19 tool umbrella, and the other vf3 with the probe has a 24 tool side changer.
    I've toyed around with the idea of trying to set up each machine for different types of parts. I don't want to put drills and taps in the super because of it only having 10 tools, and no probe and tool setter.
    I'm trying to keep drills and taps together in a cart of some sort. Maybe take a different paint pen to the matching sets. But, getting them to purchase more chucks and holders has been difficult.
    Also, trying to split my time between programming, setups and inspection and heat treat is a little overwhelming. Any kind of organizational advice will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk