584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT!
Page 1 of 2 12

I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT!

I've run into a problem. Like most problems I've encountered using SpurtCAM, it's probably and easy fix if you know what you're doing. In this case, unfortunately for me, I don't know what I'm doing.

I've been able to setup and run my chamfering tool paths using a 45 degree chamfering tool but I recently bought a 90 degree four-flute carbide tool that is all well and good but when I went into the SprutCAM tool page to try to add it to my tool arsenal, I found that when I entered the number, "90" into the "Angle" text field it served only to turn my angled chamfering tool into basically a squared off flat bottomed end mill.

By entering 45, 60, 120 or anything other than 90 degree I got the corresponding angle at the tip of my tool; as indicated in the little graphics window of the tool page. But when I enter 90 degree, I get essentially a 90 degree right angle like that on the cutting end of a typical center cutting end mill.

Now, at this point some of you guys in the know are probably getting a good laugh out of my dilemma. When you've stopped laughing a bit, can you tell me what the easy fix is for this problem? I don't know the answer; and if I can't get the answer, this new chamfer tool will turn out to be just a really cool looking paper weight.

A little help please.

MetalShavings

Re: I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT!

OK: Scratch my last statement about figuring out how to use the Chamfering tool.

I thought I had figured it out but, I tried to run a test sample of the part in question with the last operation being the Chamfer. When I pressed the "Start" button my mill did nothing; absolutely nothing. I used the same G-Code to run these same parts plenty of times before, but after adding the Chamfering tool path all my mill did was scroll down the G-Code lines to that Chamfering tool to highlight it and that's were it stuck. It wouldn't go any further.

Those of you who use Mach-III; the window on the right that displays the tool paths wouldn't display any tool paths. In the simulation I ran which included this same Chamfering tool path everything look good but that same G-Code displayed in Mach-III just wouldn't run. So, I removed the Chamfering operation from the G-Code and everything started working again. I ran the parts without the Chamfering Operation just so that this morning wasn't a total waste of time.

One of the reasons for wanting to utilize the Chamfering operation was so that I didn't had to do any post-machining work.

Do any of you guys have any idea what may be going on here? I really thought I had figured this darn thing out. Obviously I have not.

MetalShavings

Use 2D contouring and look for the tutorial video online. Also the angle is the included angle, not the angle of the tool itself so 45 would be what you want for 90. SprutCAM 7 is old and was not as reliable. I would highly consider looking into 11.

I suspected as much on the 90 degree angle thing. The image of the 4-flute carbide Chamfer tool I bought looked suspiciously like the 2-flute Chamfer tool I already owned. Thanks for clearing that up. That's one hurdle cleared now on to the next.

I actually did use the 2D countouring feature in the "Finish" page of the "Create Operation" icon. Everything appeared to work out as it was supposed to. The simulations made me feel like I knew what I was doing but the results on my mill told a different story.

Right now I don't have the spare cash to justify an upgrade in CAM software. I'll just have to try to exhaust every avenue I can within the SprutCam software to get this Chamfer thing figured out. There are a couple of Tormach/SprutCam-7 YouTube tutorial videos I've watch a few times each just to get this far. I guess I'll have to watch them a few times more in order to figure out where I went wrong.

MetalShavings

The 2d contour chamfer op in sprut 7 doesnt run like it simulates, I use "Height" in the tool setup and set the tool depth in parameters also stock setting.

Early versions of Sprut 7 had a problem with the engraver definition too many (()) marks or an uneven number of them in the tool definition, this was fixed in later updates, also safe height was flaky in the early versions. Solution was to download the latest version, I use it without issues now, except for the chamfer depth, still working on that one.

After setting up my chamfers and getting them to run correctly, I save them to "default parameters" then I can reload that same op using the "load from default parameters" (right click) on the op for the chamfer op in different programs.

I use it here as a hobby situation more or less so the 1500 dollar upgrade is out of the question for upgraded software for me when old number 7 works OK.
    mike sr

I know that SprutCam 7 is old-hat now so getting any updates for this particular version can be iffy at best. I looked for any free updates I could find for Sprut-7 but could find none.

I'm pretty sure I'm setting things up correctly when I go to set up my Chamfering tool paths. I've used all the suggestions offered in the couple of replies I've gotten here so far. Like all the other problems I've encountered using SprutCam 7, I suspect there's a simple answer cause I have no problem setting up my tools, my tool height or anything like that.

The one question that did arise in my mind when viewing online tutorials of Chamfering with SprutCam 7 was; in the models being Chamfered, those models showed a clear chamfer as a part of the model design. What I was trying to do was work with a previously drawn CAD model that had no chamfering along its edges so, I wondered, is it imperative that the model in question have the chamfered edges in its design in order for SprutCam to recognize that a chamfer is there to be cut?

My previously used CAD drawings were drawn up with just sharp right-angled edges. I didn't think it made any difference whether the CAD model showed chamfered edges or not. I may very well be wrong about that but I'm able to get all the chamfer settings setup and running correctly even with the right-angled edges in my model; at least according to my simulations.

I tried adding the chamfers to those same models in my Solidworks CAD software but that's another problem I have to figure out. When I try to add chamfers to my CAD model I'm unable to do so for some reason having to do with the geometry of my tiny parts. Problems, Problems

I'm sure these problems all have simple answers. The problems is that I'm self-taught with all of this stuff and when you're self-taught, you have a situation where the teacher is just as ignorant as the student.

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    I looked for any free updates I could find for Sprut-7 but could find none.
    The last version of Sputcam 7 was 7.1.6.64105 and I used this version sucessfully for some time. I think this was the most reliable of all the Sprut 7 versions. It can still be downloaded from the Sprutcam site if you don't already have it:
    http://download.sprutcam.com/downloa...version-7.1.6/
    Edit: Just clicking on the link doesn't seem to work for me. Opening the link in a new tab or window (depending on your browser) should work.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    The last version of Sputcam 7 was 7.1.6.64105 and I used this version sucessfully for some time. I think this was the most reliable of all the Sprut 7 versions. It can still be downloaded from the Sprutcam site if you don't already have it:
    http://download.sprutcam.com/downloa...version-7.1.6/
    Edit: Just clicking on the link doesn't seem to work for me. Opening the link in a new tab or window (depending on your browser) should work.
    Step
    I went to the link you provided and it listed 4 different down loads. Can you tell me which of the four is the correct download. The bottom two links of the four look like the ones I'm looking for but they have slightly different titles. One is (sprutcam-7.1.6.64105.exe) and the other is (sprutcam-7.1.6.64105.exe.md5.)

When yo down loaded the one you down loaded, did it work with the same dongle you had before the down load?

Thanks

MetalShavings

You do need the latest version of Sprut 7 as Step said, the only problem I have now is with the chamfer depth.
    I am self taught as well, and the teacher is as dumb as the student ha!! It wasnt an easy program for me to learn............

I downloaded the latest version to a CD so that I have it regardless of what happens to the download site.
    mike sr

One is (sprutcam-7.1.6.64105.exe) and the other is (sprutcam-7.1.6.64105.exe.md5.)
    You want the straight exe file, not the md5.
    Step

I went ahead and downloaded it so that I could burn it to disc and then transfer the upgrade to my laptop. The laptop is a dedicated computer that holds my CAD and CAM software.

Downloading it was easy enough but it turns out I couldn't figure out how to burn it to a removable disc in my Windows 10 based desktop computer. I recently got this computer. I went from a Mac to a Windows computer so now I have to figure out how to burn this downloaded SprutCam file to disc so that I can then load it onto my laptop; and hope that the SprutCam file doesn't get corrupted in the process.

OK; I got it burned to disc. Now I'll see what kind of damage I can do when I try to transfer that downloaded SprutCam file to my laptop. Wish me luck.

MetalShavings

I'm still getting no results so I have to ask, is it possible in SprutCam, to set up a Chamfering operation on a CAD model that doesn't have the Chamfer as a part of the CAD model drawing? So I would essentially be setting up my Chamfering operation the right-angle 90 degree edge all the way around the top face of my part. On the face of it, it would appear that you can because I have no problem doing just that within the SprutCam software. I can even run the simulations and get exactly what I'm after. It's when I load that G-Code onto the Mach-III software that I run into a brick wall.

Normally when I load my G-Code I will automatically get a full illustration of my tool paths in the display screen in the upper right hand corner of my screen. When that G-Code includes the Chamfering tool as my last operation I get virtually no on screen display of my tool paths and in the small upper left screen where my lines of G-Code are displayed the highlighted line of code automatically scrolls down to the line displaying my Chamfering tool; and that's were it stops. I can click the "Start" icon in an attempt to start my program but nothing happens.

If I remove that last Chamfering operation from my G-Code or TAP file, then everything works as expected. So it turns out that I Haven't figured out how to use the Chamfering tool; at least not on this particular model or part I'm trying to machine into existence. I can cut Chamfers in parts of various other shapes but somehow the shape of this particular part has something going on with it that makes Chamfering unsuccessful. It has to be something simple. I just don't know what that simple thing is.

MetalShavings

I'm still getting no results so I have to ask, is it possible in SprutCam, to set up a Chamfering operation on a CAD model that doesn't have the Chamfer as a part of the CAD model drawing?
    Yes
    ...I can even run the simulations and get exactly what I'm after. ... I get virtually no on screen display of my tool ... I can cut Chamfers in parts of various other shapes
    It sounds to me that you're doing it right - if the Sprut simulation shows what you intended. Which post processor are you using? I THINK the last version that I used with Sprut 7 was PCNCMasterPostRev1.5.spp - how does this compare with the one you're using?
    Step

I think I'm using the same one you've listed. I had to double check to make sure but the one that comes up for me is as follows:

Postprocessor/PCNCMasterPostRev1.5ppl

I'm happy to hear that it is possible to create a Chamfering tool path without the CAD drawing showing a Chamfer as part of the design of the drawing. Now I have to figure out why it doesn't work on this particular drawing or model. I tried going into my SolidWorks CAD software and deliberately drawing a Chamfer on the top outside edges that need the Chamfers cut but oddly enough -on this same model- the Chamfer tool in the SolidWorks software cannot complete the Chamfer I'm attempting to include in the drawing.

I've posted a request for help with this on the SolidWorks forum but the only help I've gotten thus far are links to tutorials on how to use the Chamfer feature in the SolidWorks software. Here too, I already know how to use the Chamfer tool in SolidWorks software. I've used it numerous times on different models. If I can figure out what's keeping me from successfully implementing the use of a Chamfer tool as the last operation in my milling, it will cut down on my time post processing these little parts tremendously.

Below is a picture of some very similar parts I've made. I want to Chamfer partially on the front side and on the back side -when I flip the part over- I want to do a Chamfer around the entire edge. These are very small parts but their size shouldn't have any bearing on whether they are Chamfer-able or not. It has to be something else causing it to fail. I just don't know what.

MetalShavings

Attachment 371124

If I remove that last Chamfering operation from my G-Code or TAP file, then everything works as expected. So it turns out that I Haven't figured out how to use the Chamfering tool; at least not on this particular model or part I'm trying to machine into existence. I can cut Chamfers in parts of various other shapes but somehow the shape of this particular part has something going on with it that makes Chamfering unsuccessful. It has to be something simple. I just don't know what that simple thing is.

MetalShavings

This sounds just like the problem I had 5 years ago with the first version of Sprut.
    It turned out to be in the tool description of the engraver in the Sprut tool table, I called it a chamfer mill instead of an engraver and it worked fine.
    The latest version of Sprut
    7.1.6.64105 doesnt have the problem.
    It was due to to an uneven number of (( ))) in the tool description.

I have my .250 chamfer saved in default parameters, the "bottom level " is .112 the "stock" is .110 that gives me a chamfer that just takes the edge off the part.

Do you have the latest version of Sprut loaded now, I didnt see it mentioned?

maybe post part of the code that includes the chamfer operation and let us have a look at it?

mike sr

I downloaded that upgrade the day after you or someone else suggested it. You were kind enough to include a link to that download so I went there straight away. I downloaded it to my desktop PC and then burned it onto a disk so that I could transfer it to the dedicated laptop computer that I keep my CAD/CAM software on. Shortly thereafter, my brand new Desktop computer started acting up on me. It wouldn't let me log on to my own computer so I had to take it in for service. While this computer was down I had to put this SprutCam problem on the back burner.

I had forgotten about your reply to my post. I remember now that you had suggested these things. I'll make it a point to check them out tonight.

If this problems does stem from an uneven number of "(()))" marks. Is this something that can be fixed by editing or is it a little more complicated than that. Will installing the upgrade fix the typos automatically?

I'll try to remember to make a copy of the section of G-Code that's giving me fits. If I weren't already bald I'd be pulling my hair out by the hand full by now. With any luck I'll be able to figure this out by tomorrow morning. I'll be running another batch of these small parts either tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for the reminders.

MetalShavings

I downloaded that upgrade the day after you or someone else suggested it. You were kind enough to include a link to that download so I went there straight away. I downloaded it to my desktop PC and then burned it onto a disk so that I could transfer it to the dedicated laptop computer that I keep my CAD/CAM software on. Shortly thereafter, my brand new Desktop computer started acting up on me. It wouldn't let me log on to my own computer so I had to take it in for service. While this computer was down I had to put this SprutCam problem on the back burner.

I had forgotten about your reply to my post. I remember now that you had suggested these things. I'll make it a point to check them out tonight.

If this problems does stem from an uneven number of "(()))" marks. Is this something that can be fixed by editing or is it a little more complicated than that. Will installing the upgrade fix the typos automatically?

The upgrade fixes it all.

I'll try to remember to make a copy of the section of G-Code that's giving me fits. If I weren't already bald I'd be pulling my hair out by the hand full by now. With any luck I'll be able to figure this out by tomorrow morning. I'll be running another batch of these small parts either tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for the reminders.

MetalShavings
    I believe the paranthesis were in the post if I am not mistaken, in the tool definition line. I think I selected another tool definition and that worked, its been 5 years and I am not a youngster anymore so the brains are a bit fuzzy at times.
    The later versions did stop the problem.
    The last version seems to run without issue at least on the ops I use.

Look thru your post where it calls the engraver and check the paranthesis, an uneven number of them will disable the program. The program in my case simulated fine, just wouldnt run on Mach III.
    mike sr

I went ahead and loaded the upgrade and re-ran all my tool paths. I checked to see if the parenthesis you mentioned were correct in both my previous and this latest attempt. The parenthesis appeared to be correct in both number and placement but I did find that within those parenthesis was something that may have been causing these Chamfer problems all along.

What I was doing was selecting .5" engraving tool from the tool list that came with the software. After selecting it I'd change the diameter on the tool description line and then below I'd make all the pertinent changes in the various text fields. However, within those parenthesis there still remained the 0.05" tool diameter description. I didn't see it before because you have to scroll to the right in order to see the entire tool description on that particular text field of the tool parameters page. I could see it when I looked at the page that displayed my entire G-Code; in fact I must have looked at it a hundred time before I noticed that discrepancy. I didn't think to look for it till you mentioned the problem you encountered with SprutCam 7.

Anyway, if this is the cause of my hair loss, even loading the SprutCam upgrade wouldn't have fixed it. I'll find out tomorrow when I load that G-Code into the Mach3 software. If it brings up an image of my tool paths I'll be a happy camper. If not, it's back to the drawing board. I hope it works this time. I'll let you know if it all pans out.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I'll be back.

UPDATE:
    It still didn't work. Fixing the diameter in the tool description didn't work and creating a whole new tool didn't work. I also re-ran all my tool paths after having uploaded the SprutCam update. I can't figure this out.

MetalShavings

A very LONG time ago I posted how I set up my chamfer tool in Sprut 7:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post1446216
    Maybe this might help a little but if you still can't get it to work you could try posting your g-code and/or the project. I no longer have Mach3 but I still have a Sprut 7 installation - perhaps a second pair of eyes might be useful
    Step

I went to the link you provided and from the descriptions I found that I'm basically setting up my Chamfering tool paths the same way. There is a little variance in how I do it but very similar. Following is a zip file of the stand alone tool path that I had set up in SprutCam for when I initially finished side number one of my part than then turned the part over and set up another Chamfering tool path to Chamfer around the entire edge of the opposite side or the back side of the same part.

Maybe you can spot something that I haven't been able to that's wrong with this code.

MetalShavings

Page 1 of 2 12