584,817 active members*
4,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Tiny tool holders in the TT1800SY Need a 1" radial stick holder can't find one

Tiny tool holders in the TT1800SY Need a 1" radial stick holder can't find one

I have a TT1800SY we're trying to tool up on the floor. Weirdest moment ever was realizing the std tool holders are 3/4" (even single up holders) Problem because we have a dual channel high pressure coolant system inbound (coolant is STUPID important), we've purchased the tooling package in 1" ISCAR JHP and Iscar doesn't have a 3/4" DNMG 442 holder with coolant through in 3/4". I can't even exchange the toolholders for something else because the iscar solution doesn't exist. All of our other turning centers use 1" tools and they have 20HP main 10 sub not 30/30 like the beast here from Doosan. I don't understand doing more with less in a 3/4" holder without coolant support.

I bought 4 of Lyndex Nikken's 1" BMT55 holders. PROBLEM They don't fit between the turret and the turret housing. I don't have a Doosan parts department number, and they don't have a website where people can peruse parts as far as I know. I'm screwed here. Getting machines off the ground is stressful as hell and we need to get tools in this machine or we're dead in the water.

Does anyone know where to find a compatible 1" stick holder?

Re: Tiny tool holders in the TT1800SY Need a 1" radial stick holder can't find one

Tool Holder Catalogs - Mori-Seiki, Doosan, Nakamura-Tome, Okuma, Samsung, Ganesh, and More! - MD Tooling - they have a dual 1" radial tool for the Doosan BMT55 p/n 0772540 that might work.

Re: Tiny tool holders in the TT1800SY Need a 1" radial stick holder can't find one

Hi dcoupar,

These are M.T. Marchetti tools from Italy.
    There's also a single version, the height of the twin holder is 75mm, the single version is 60mm.

M.T. S.r.l. – Produzione moduli rotanti

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

I don't think the Italian holder would be able to work. There is about 1.5" between the holder and the casting the tools have to rotate by. So the overhang length becomes critical for the function of the holder and the toolholder cannot allow much Z axis offset. I have been in a discussion with Doosan parts and they are saying that the BMT-55 NAMED tool holders of the 2100SY apparently have a totally different mounting interface than the TT1800SY's BMT-55 interface. That I really don't understand. The tech people are telling me the bolt patterns are different and I don't understand why a company would want to do that.

I was looking at the TT1800SY and 2100SY as nice companion machines, sharing live and static tooling and being a harmonious concept for a manufacturing approach to answering logistical questions before they arose. Now this finding a 1" holder problem is looking poorly and also the harmonious tooling approach is looking un-obtainable as well.

Doosan people were really helpful, but it turned out they didn't really have a product for the machine to do this. I was really surprised they hadn't developed one since the machines have been around for ~ a decade now. Maybe high pressure coolant is just beginning to be more popular? I asked the Chipblaster installer and he said he had never integrated a high pressure system to a Doosan twin turret and he was regional out of Chicago- he said Mori and Miyano double and triple turrets got high pressure systems more often. Awesome guy, interfaced the J2-60 in like 5 hours (a $2000 service through the doosan dealer probably in the event their application people had to do it instead of chipblaster and needed 2-3 days to figure it out) helped me find the interface for the auto door through the wiring diagrams which are pretty tough to read. He mentioned Doosan's are awesome to work on, but the wiring diagrams are about the worst in industry (his opinion). That auto door was quoted at $10,500 so we bought the air cylinder and hardware ourselves a clone of the factory Yama Seiki kit, and are going to integrate it for ~$1250+ our labor. We were going to buy the Doosan system at $5500 but then it blew up in quote to $10,500, at $7200 hardware and $3300 installation. The option on a new machine is $5500 which is cheaper than parts without labor for a used machine.

I ended up designing a 1" radial OD holder that will allow coolant through parting and turning holders to be compatible and had a small production run of 20 holders manufactured. I had our lead machinist do first pass review of that tool and he wanted the low profile holder to be even more low profile to allow clearances to be improved so we deleted coolant balls in favor of just 1/8NPT braided line connections. Even the wedges are shortened a little to make the holder lower profile. We also manufactured coolant through rear plates for the 2 useable top holes of the triple ID half index holders. There was some market available double radial OD holder that would fit, but it didn't allow braided line connection of coolant and had no back side clearance for parting holders like the ISCAR PCHR 25.4-D40-3-JHP which we use a lot now to get over a chuck in a short G54 top cut settup. We also rarely do some backturning between chucks and this tool would be more back turn friendly. Attachment 372152Attachment 372154

We had a similar problem with our Yama Seiki GLS-2000 LYS turning centers and had to manufacture offset drill holders and quad ID holders to allow us enough clearance or enough tools to run parts on that 12 station BMT42? turret it's a weird Miyano used platform that's more obscure.

We are also trying to have some inch to metric conversion bushings made to allow us to put metric drills into the Doosan inch holder package. It seems hard to buy a machine without running into some tooling issues demanding custom products.

There isn't a great clearance on these machines so if we wanted to use 4xd or 5xd drills we would probably have to manufacture offset 40mm, 1.5", or 1.75" ID pockets for the TT1800SY. When the turrets park, there just isn't going to be anywhere to put that drill- there is no pocket in the cabinet wall for it. We can make longer parts in the Yama GLS's we have than it appears we will be able to make in the TT1800SY.

The 4 piece toolholders are finished. I made coolant caps for the drill holders also, and caps for the triple holders, but I screwed up one dimension on the triple and I have to machine .975" off one surface of the triple holders to make them fit properly. I think I began designing them from the wrong side of the holder, fixed it at some point in the middle and forgot to edit that sketch in solidworks. The 3D CAD image above is the correct dimension triple cap but I have to remove .975 for my production parts to look like that.

It was kind of a fun project.

Attachment 374134
    Attachment 374136
    The tool isn't shortened or fitted but it would fit and clear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	374138
    The screws pictured are incorrect.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0193.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	374140