585,665 active members*
3,336 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Why buy a Laser cutter when you can modify a laser engraver.

Why buy a Laser cutter when you can modify a laser engraver.

I am about to buy a laser CNC.

I got the specs form the manufacturer for different machines and my choice is for the 1200X800mm machine. Both the laser engraver and the laser cutter have similar specs. The major difference is the power, one being a 60Watt and the other 80Watt. The other difference is the working speed, the engraver is faster than the cutter.

My point is that these laser tubes are eventually going to fail in both machines, if they are not already DOA. Therefore, why not buy the cheaper engraver, and once the laser dies, why not simply replace it by a solid-state laser. I have access to a 100Watt solid-state that could well be used as a cutting laser, and once the CO2 laser tube dies, I plan on installing it in the engraver.

I know that there's only a $500 price difference between the two machines, but is there any difference between the two machines?

The engraver can also cut, if you give it a better laser. It's faster also.

Would there be any difference in the way they work?

One question is if the optics can handle the wavelength of your solid state laser?

Good point!

What is the difference?

I also enquired about getting a solid-state instead of the CO2, but I'll have to add an extra $4K to the total price. Far out of reach...

Soooo... Where can we get these 100watt solid state cutting lasers from? any help would be great! Thanks.

difference between both machines,

I own an engraving and cutting laser machine, when you engrave you dont have to use to much power, the power is used to cut, as more ticker more power and less speed.
    Looking at rabbit laser machines the only difference i found was the travel of the table (as Z axis) , in the cutting only machine is of about 280mm 100 more than the both issues machine. Also they say that the cut dont have the serrated look, that is more neat and clear. In my machine the cut is ok and the serrated look comes with high speed when corners are too close.
    With chinese lasers you can cut at good speed a few time, if you use the top power you will note the decreasing of power very soon,
    I have tryied a chinese machine with a coherent 55w laser, thats a way to cut!!! at 7mm /sec it cuts 20mm acrylic plate, in my 60 w chinese laser I cant do it in on pass at 2mm/sec
    Luis

Also want to now about solid state laser!!!!

I guess spacifique1 is not going to tell use anything about his 100watt solid state lasers.......

I guess spacifique1 is not going to tell use anything about his 100watt solid state lasers.