585,597 active members*
3,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Renishaw tool setting

Hi i have reciently started a new job operating a okuma MA-40H OSP U100 vertical mill. Before i have been using Heidenhain control machines and setting tools using a touch tool setter. This new machine has a non touch renishaw laser for setting tools, but is only used for setting the tool length, using the m201 command. Is there anyway of setting the tool radius using this tool setter? If so your advice would be greatly appreciated. No one in my new place of employment knows how if there is a way.

What about macro programs is there any books out there that would be of an advantage if i wanted to learn how to do this type of programming?

Lastly we use a renishaw mp10 probe for setting x,y,z datums where would one go to to learn how to use this probe to its full capacity, again is there any books?

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Hi djbarren,
    You should find that there is a whole manual dedicated to the probe routines that you can use with the MP10 probe.
    I use a Okuma MC600HB with a U100 Controller (I think, operating from a leaky memory here, and it's late...) and it has a very comprehensive manual for the probe cycles.
    I would be confident is saying that the M201 command is a user written routine, as the M201 command is a user macro M code.
    We use quite a few G Code and M code macros with our machine for probing.
    I have an electronic copy of the Okuma gauging manual that I can send you if you can't find yours.
    Let me know if you want a copy sent to you.
    Regards
    Brian.

Hi, when we got our Mazaks with Renishaw probes, they sent an engineer out to train everybody on how the probes worked, etc. I'm surprised no one where you are knows anything. Perhaps someone in the office just failed to ask? Many times such training is included in the purchase price but office types feel that "The shop will figure it out." I'll bet someone in your new place of employ has a very complete manual sitting in his/her desk drawer.

no no training was given to anyone inhouse, so broby i would love a copy of ur electrronic manual cheers m8

This is the Renishaw NC2 laser? Of course there is a way of probing for tool radius; it just means coming from the side rather than down in Z. The only thing that would stop you is if the the laser was mounted in such a way that access from the side would be limited.

Have a look in the machine program memory for programs O9860, O9861, 09862.

Have a look on the Renishaw website, they might do a PDF of the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by djbarren View Post
    no no training was given to anyone inhouse, so broby i would love a copy of ur electrronic manual cheers m8
    Hi DJ,

If you send me your e-mail or telephone number through a private message - I can talk you through what you need in the way of software and documentation to get you going with your MP10 on your Okuma Vertical Mill.

Hi DJ,
    Ca you send me your email address via a PM?
    The probing manual is too large to upload here.
    Hope the manual is going to work out for you as I note our machine is an E100 not a U100 as I thought earlier.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Hi Darren,
    Did you get the manual? Was it what you needed?
    Let me know how you got on please.
    Regards
    Brian.

Spoty Dog

Thanks Brian

Just what i needed, will put it to good use when i get back to work next tuesday. UR a legend. Any jobs goin out there?

Cheers,

Darren