584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 110v VFD's. Any issues?
Page 5 of 6 3456

Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
    Yes that's why I think it would be better to just wire for 240v now. Plus I can get a 2.2kw spindle for about the same price as the 1.5kw 120v spindle. Might as well just do it right the first time.

I'm assuming the same TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L filter will work for 240volt, correct?

Correct receptacle for 240 volt here?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2710-...i&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    Yes for the Filter and the Plug looks good to go as well, with the Filter you will connect the 2 Hot wires and Ground to it, and in your cabinet if you need 120v is a good idea to use another filter sized for that circuit as you will have a ( 1 ) Hot a Neutral Ground connection to the filter
    Mactec54

Question Re: 110v VFD's. Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    with the Filter you will connect the 2 Hot wires and Ground to it
    Could you please clarify, I thought I understood everything but now I'm confused, above you stated that I needed to use a 4 wire #10 cable (two hots, a neutral and the ground) run to the filter/VFD but if the two hots and the ground are just being used then what happens to the neutral wire? Also I'm assuming that the two hots go to the VFD (R and T) and the ground goes to the Earth, so again, what happens to the neutral?

Could you please clarify, I thought I understood everything but now I'm confused, above you stated that I needed to use a 4 wire #10 cable (two hots, a neutral and the ground) run to the filter/VFD but if the two hots and the ground are just being used then what happens to the neutral wire? Also I'm assuming that the two hots go to the VFD (R and T) and the ground goes to the Earth, so again, what happens to the neutral?
    When you run just a 120v line you will have 2 conductors Black and White and a Ground, 240v with no forethought can has 2 conductors also Black and Red and Ground but that circuit is then only good for 240v

So when you run a 240v line in NA it is best to include the Neutral then you can have 120v and 240v from the same cable you can then split it up in your cabinet, yes 240v to the VFD would be just ( 2 ) Hots Red and Black and Ground in your case, nothing happens to the Neutral unless you need it for something in your cabinet that needs 120v for other accessories that you would use ( 1 ) of the Hot Black or Red wires and the Neutral white and Ground all from the same one cable that you put in the wall

Think ahead this is the best way to do it if you are running a 240v single phase line in NA

Filters on things like Power supplies are very good to have, your computer will have a line filter if the right type are used they absorb and cancel out EMI which can mess up low voltage electronic hardware like Breakout Boards Etc.
    Mactec54

nothing happens to the Neutral unless you need it for something in your cabinet that needs 120v
    So if I'm just doing this - now - for the VFD power (240 volt) but running the 4 wire cable (two hots, a neutral and the ground) what do I do with the neutral wire? Just put a wire nut on it until I'm ready to tap the 120 circuit later?

So if I'm just doing this - now - for the VFD power (240 volt) but running the 4 wire cable (two hots, a neutral and the ground) what do I do with the neutral wire? Just put a wire nut on it until I'm ready to tap the 120 circuit later?
    Yes or it can be folded and taped as well

I'm not sure how you are doing the rest of your machine but you need to be using only ( 1 ) Main Power supply for your whole machine
    Mactec54

I'm not sure how you are doing the rest of your machine but you need to be using only ( 1 ) Main Power supply for your whole machine
    There was already power run there from the main box. I'm running the 240 from the same box.

If your not using 120 vac or have a need why waste money running a 4 wire circuit just to blank it off?
    If someday you need 120 volts just run a circuit and be done with it?
    I have 3 or 4 240 volt circuits in my shop and none have 4 wires just the two LN wires and the grounding.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    If your not using 120 vac or have a need why waste money running a 4 wire circuit just to blank it off?
    Simple answer, because it usually cost less and saves time running 10/3.

50' of 10/3 costs around $75.

50' of 10/2 + 50' of 12/2 costs around $90, plus it takes twice as long to install since you're installing two separate systems.

Even if you found wire on sale that cost around the same, you'd still be wasting a lot of time since you'd have to run the extra 50' of 12/2.

Plus it looks cleaner just having one run of wire, instead of having multiple wire runs.

There was already power run there from the main box. I'm running the 240 from the same box.
    So you should be only using that one 240v supply for your whole machine now, having ( 2 ) supplies can cause noise problems
    Mactec54

If someday you need 120 volts just run a circuit and be done with it?
    I have 3 or 4 240 volt circuits in my shop and none have 4 wires just the two LN wires and the grounding.
    So now we know why you had to use ( 2 ) supplies for your machine, very poor planning for someone that should know better, I don't know any electricians that would run a new 240v line that is not a 10/3
    Mactec54

Simple answer, because it usually cost less and saves time running 10/3.

50' of 10/3 costs around $75.

50' of 10/2 + 50' of 12/2 costs around $90, plus it takes twice as long to install since you're installing two separate systems.

Even if you found wire on sale that cost around the same, you'd still be wasting a lot of time since you'd have to run the extra 50' of 12/2.

Plus it looks cleaner just having one run of wire, instead of having multiple wire runs.
    Good reply you are doing well with your research

Plus you would need more room for a extra Breaker in the main panel

Just remember you need a 2pole Breaker for the 240v line
    Mactec54

So now we know why you had to use ( 2 ) supplies for your machine, very poor planning for someone that should know better, I don't know any electricians that would run a new 240v line that is not a 10/3
    WTF are you talking about? The control panel is 120 volts, the VFD panel requires 240 volts, two separate panels?

So your going to install a 240 volt single phase welder in your shop, you would run a 4 wire circuit?? So your going to install a 240 volt single phase motor in your shop, you would run a 4 wire circuit??

This is the real world not residential house wiring but commercial / industrial. My shop is wired with conduit so no big deal to pull another wire if needed.

Angel If you need 120 volts by all means run your 10-3 w/ground but you are asking how to cap off the un-used white wire?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

WTF are you talking about? The control panel is 120 volts, the VFD panel requires 240 volts, two separate panels?
    His install is for a purpose
    And that's the way you should be trying to help hobby builders is to run there power by using ( 2 ) separate main power supplies to the one machine (nuts)

Get with the program these are Hobby guys just asking for help, now you are talking about commercial buildings try and get it right 99% of these builders are in there residential home basement or garage

We have no interest in what and how you have your commercial shop wired
    Mactec54

Good reply you are doing well with your research
    Thank you mactec54!

Angel If you need 120 volts by all means run your 10-3 w/ground but you are asking how to cap off the un-used white wire?
    Yes I asked because I wanted to learn what to do in that situation. I will probably be using that wire now to avoid the potential of ground loops.

His install is for a purpose
    And that's the way you should be trying to help hobby builders is to run there power by using ( 2 ) separate main power supplies to the one machine (nuts)

Get with the program these are Hobby guys just asking for help, now you are talking about commercial buildings try and get it right 99% of these builders are in there residential home basement or garage

We have no interest in what and how you have your commercial shop wired
    My shop is Home shop, not commercial . I just do things the Right way. Repeating again, there is NO NEC requirement limiting different power sources to a machine, only requirement that is each is tagged and each has a lockable disconnect. IF you think otherwise please post the Section and sub-section so we can all be educated, otherwise don't bother replying with any more :bs: .

Yes I asked because I wanted to learn what to do in that situation. I will probably be using that wire now to avoid the potential of ground loops.

How does a Neutral grounded conductor prevent ground loops? You should always cap off un-used wiring.

How does a Neutral grounded conductor prevent ground loops?
    The neutral wire doesn't prevent ground loops per se, but buy using the neutral wire for my 120v it keeps everything coming from the same source, which does prevent ground loops.

How does a Neutral grounded conductor prevent ground loops? You should always cap off un-used wiring.
    Neutral has nothing to do with a Ground loop or what he is doing, but there is no point in discussing Ground loop here because you don't believe they exist
    Mactec54

My shop is Home shop, not commercial
    So why post this Bs then in Post 92 This is the real world not residential house wiring but commercial / industrial.

Just take your meds so you can post something that makes some sense, you seem to be behind the 8 ball most of the time
    Mactec54

Page 5 of 6 3456