585,894 active members*
5,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Easy DIY pcb using cheap photo printer

View Poll Results: Succes rate

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Did this work for you?

2 66.67%
  • Better than toner transfer?

2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Easy DIY pcb using cheap photo printer

I was following the direct to pcb printer mod thread and had previously used a toner transfer method to create pcb's. I have found a easy and fairly cheap solution to print and transfer at home.

Step one:
    Get a olympus imagelink or kodak dye-dyesub printer. (you know, the ones that the camera docks directly onto and come free with some new kodak cameras)

Step 2:
    Print a mirror image of the circuit using only 100% black with no background the finished product has to be black on white, ie no transfer in background.

Step 3:
    The hardest part, cancel the print job before the 4th pass of the printer. This last covers the entire picture with a plastic protection layer that will transfer to your entire pcb.

Step 4:
    Iron the transfer onto your clean and prepped pcb. Use a piece of plain paper behind the photo paper to prevent ruining the wifes good iron. I use the highest setting for about 2 minutes.

Step 5:
    Let cool slightly, the board has to be a little warm for this to work, peel off the paper. I have tried letting cool completely and washing the paper off but it requires more effort.

Step 6:
    Etch using your favorite method.

The most vital step in this process is canceling the print before the 4th and final pass. I will post pictures as I figure out my new camera and as time allows. Please try this if you have one of these printers and post your success stories! Also please share your tips to perfect this. Sorry for any spelling errors. Grammar/spelling was never me favorite subjects.

I used Kodak paper in these tests, Olympus and a few others have a background coating that will prevent the entire board from etching.

Nice work !!!

I especially like how we have to use the "good iron"... PCB's with the element of danger

Any photo's you can send would be great.

Russell.

Exclamation Bad news, maybe.

Sadly my idea seems to have been doomed from the start, or to be more precise before the start. It seems that since my printer was packaged they have changed the paper included in the printer kits/refills. There is now a solid plastic back on every sheet :-( I am still experimenting with different kinds of paper thru the printer but only a few take the image in any usable form. I don't have any "during" pics but in the next day or 2 i'll upload some after pics. Anybody else tried anything like this before? Does anyone have any recomendations for a paper to try. Glossy photo paper works ok but then the only advantage over toner transfer is extremely solid masks and chemical resistance.

It's amazing how fast you go thru a 10 piece starter pack of paper!!

Keep us posted anyway, good on you for trying!!!

Russell.