585,567 active members*
3,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: PathPilot on Novakon Torus Pro

Right.
    I have learned to just be satisfied with the version I have installed on both the lathe and the Pulsar.
    As long as it is all working fine, there is less risk this way.
    That said, if these were hobby machines, I would be running the latest update on both. Why not.
    Lee

A couple things I've bought since installing PathPilot that have become indespensible:

1) Tool Setter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Recommended by Mr. Bonedoc. This thing is great for quickly setting the tool heights of your tools to place in your tool table. Not sure how I lived without this thing in the past! I was using a granite block, and height gauge, but this thing is a lot faster!

2) Shuttle - https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=30616 I was using one of the E-Bay jog shuttles with Mach3, but this shuttle has much better control of speed when you are sneaking up on a part. This is just a re-labeled shuttle from another manufacturer, but its not that much more expensive directly from tormach.

3) USB WiFi network controller - https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=38207 I tried a few other WiFi controllers that I had laying around but none of them worked with Linux. So, I bought this one, cheap and problem solved.

Scott...
    Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    A couple things I've bought since installing PathPilot that have become indespensible:

1) Tool Setter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Recommended by Mr. Bonedoc. This thing is great for quickly setting the tool heights of your tools to place in your tool table. Not sure how I lived without this thing in the past! I was using a granite block, and height gauge, but this thing is a

Scott...
    Umm, that's Dr. Bonedoc.....

Word Doc.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    2) Shuttle - https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=30616 I was using one of the E-Bay jog shuttles with Mach3, but this shuttle has much better control of speed when you are sneaking up on a part. This is just a re-labeled shuttle from another manufacturer, but its not that much more expensive directly from tormach.
    Now that you've gotten a taste of what it's like to have a pendant, do yourself a really BIG favor and buy a GOOD one, like one of the VistaCNC pendants with a real MPG. A real MPG is light-years better than the crappy Shuttle. It'll be the best money you'll ever spend on your machine. Well, other than the PDB, of course! :-)

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray is the vista plug n play w pathpilot?

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Ray is the vista plug n play w pathpilot?
    They do have models that support LinuxCNC so they should work with PP. E-mail Lee at VistaCNC ([email protected]), to confirm details. If it makes sense to add/change something specific to better support PathPilot, I would not be surprised if he was open to adding a PP variant.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Hey Guys;
    I've attempted to install pathpilot (latest) on my pro servo but no joy!
    I purchased the dvd and new solid state drive for the installation. I actually installed pathpilot on the new drive using a separate computer and all went well. I then installed the mesa card, new hard drive and plugged in all cables on my machine. I get the Tormach splash screen and it starts blinking and will not let me exit to the terminal. It finally exits itself and I get the following message;
    ALERT /dev/disk/by-uuid/784079a0-da5e-49d3-8729-c0dcd7b15e3dropping to a shell.
    My motherboard is the gigabyte ga-h61m-52pv and I have installed the new design bob from John.
    Fortunately I did not screw up the original drive so I returned everything back to the original configuration and am back in business.
    BUT...........Any idesa????
    I know nothing about linux so I'm completely lost!
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Bill - try installing it on the actual Torus computer. I had issues like that too. Eventually i changes motherboards and all was fine. You may have to mess w/ bios settings too.
    My guess is if you install it on the actual controller it will work.

Hey Brian;
    I already tried that and same results. The novakon computer appeared to read the install disk but still did not install correctly. I worried about the bios also but if the mb is not communicating with the hard drive, I don't think I would get the tormach splash screen so communication appears to be there with the new hard drive. Also, I tried another hard drive (not a ssd) and same results Wish I knew more about linux. I'm afraid that I nave a motherboard that my not be compatible. Has anyone else been successful with the gigabyte ga-h61m-52pv(stock novakon) motherboard?
    Scott;
    I don't want to hijack this thread but I thought having issues like this one discussed here would be beneficial to future trouble shooting for others.
    Let me know if it is a problem and I'll start a new thread.
    Thanks guys for all the help..
    Bill
    billyjack

Bill - yeah just cut to the chase and change mobos- I had that same issue.

The only trouble I had with the onboard MOBO was I ordered the wrong Mesa card. Once I got the correct board for the PCI express, it worked fine. For awhile. I just ordered a refurbed computer to replace everything and ordered all longer cables and I am back in business.
    The computer now sits on top of a shelf instead of inside the control panel. Turns out that the main issue was a video extension cable that I was using and not the Novakon MOBO or the Mesa Card. So, I have some spares now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Brian;
    I already tried that and same results. The novakon computer appeared to read the install disk but still did not install correctly. I worried about the bios also but if the mb is not communicating with the hard drive, I don't think I would get the tormach splash screen so communication appears to be there with the new hard drive. Also, I tried another hard drive (not a ssd) and same results Wish I knew more about linux. I'm afraid that I nave a motherboard that my not be compatible. Has anyone else been successful with the gigabyte ga-h61m-52pv(stock novakon) motherboard?
    Scott;
    I don't want to hijack this thread but I thought having issues like this one discussed here would be beneficial to future trouble shooting for others.
    Let me know if it is a problem and I'll start a new thread.
    Thanks guys for all the help..
    Bill
    FWIW........ We did our install on the gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PV mobo that came with our Torus Pro, we had to change the bios settings to allow hot swapping of sata drives, and the boot order to read the disc drive first for the initial install...If I am remembering correctly we did this before we tried anything, so I have no idea what would have happened if we didn't...

Ray

I do remember getting into the Bios, but that was after the install of Path Pilot.
    It seems that the USB would not turn on fast enough to allow me to get into Linux. I wound up having to use a PS2 keyboard.
    Lee

The only way I can reliably get into Linux is with ctrl + alt + x, works everytime for me.
    mike sr

I didn't know about that then. That is a much more elegant solution and trying to catch the splash screen.
    Lee

OK Guys;
    Just for the record, this is what I tried this weekend.
    1. Changed Monitors. The one I was using was an old touch screen so I thought maybe some sort of interference. No Joy!
    2. Changed Cables - I was using an extension cable to move the monitor to the front of machine. I moved everything to the rear of the machine and plugged directly into the motherboard. No Joy!
    3. Changed Keyboards - I was using a Logitech with a built in mouse pad. I switched to a PS2 style keyboard and regular mouse - No Joy!
    4. Reloaded software using original Path Pilot disk - Load appeared to work normally until reboot. Then the splash screen came up, timed our and back to the error I listed above. - No Joy!
    5. Reflashed the Bios. Went to Gigabyte website and verified the bios version for my board GA-H61-S2pv was current (version FB). I downloaded a newer version of the bios listed as pending and reflashed. - No Joy!
    The only thing left is to replace the motherboard. I'm going to order a GA-H81M-S2PV as listed above if it supports a 1155 socket and give it a try.
    If anyone has suggestions as to which motherboard may be supported and less expensive, please let me know.
    I must say that this has been really frustrating and expensive. I sure hope it is worth the effort!
    Bill
    billyjack

Bill - sounds like the frustration I went thru. Somewhere in tormach forums there’s a list of approved motherboards for PP. before u buy make sure it’s on that list. Trust me the headache will be worth it once u are up and running!!

Bill, You might want to check out that refurb link I posted. That is a complete stand-alone system including shipping for $129.00.
    Hard to beat that price.

It does work with Path Pilot.
    Then you can install it as a stand-alone system and switch back to Mach 3 anytime you want. That makes for an excellent backup system if you ask me.
    Lee

I am running PathPilot on an old ASROCK 775i65G motherboard with 1.5gb ram installed and running for over a year in my Pulsar without any issues. I also tried it in simulation on the ASUS H81M-D with 2gb ram without any problems. I am pretty sure I also installed it on an ASUS H81M-E as well.

Steve

Page 2 of 4 1234