584,861 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Ballscrew Suppliers - Opinions on Quality and Service Needed
Page 1 of 2 12

Ballscrew Suppliers - Opinions on Quality and Service Needed

Well Gents (and Ladies),

I am so far behind where I should be on my project. LOL. So I need to buy my ballscrews still.

I have received quotes from a number of places. I’m looking at Chinese rolled C7 ballscrews.

I’m looking at a few companies right now, wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

Linkcnc

I would actually be buying the double nut screws from them. DFU 2510. They don’t have them listed in their store, but I contacted them for a quote, and they have them. I’m leaning towards these guys right now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/834897

Lishui Yingte Bearing Co.

I would be buying the single nut 2520 ballscrews from them (Yes, it’s an uncommon size, ideally I would like 2515), but I did find a place with the 2520.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...436129118.html

https://interbearing.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700

LISHUI YINGTE BEARING CO.,LTD

About $100 USD more expensive, but I’m wondering if the quality is better. Also, they do have the 2520, which is an odd size.

Also considering BST Automation and YU Guest Store for single nut 2510 ballscrews, and have send an additional enquiry to YU Guest Store about their double nut TBI 2510 ballscrews.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/314742

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/210929

Any feedback, good or bad, on any of these suppliers would be appreciated. Also any personal experience on double vs single nut or any other supplier (rolled Chinese variety) is appreciated.

Also, does anyone have anything to say about TBI brand ballscrews?

I’m quite happy with the Bun Brand bearings and SYK mounts I purchased earlier. I just need the ballscrews / ballnuts / ballnut housings and couplers at this point.

Re: Ballscrew Suppliers - Opinions on Quality and Service Needed

I'm torn at the moment between SFU 2510 from BST Automation or DFU 2510 from Linkcnc, both on Aliexpress.

I've heard some good things about BST Automation, but I haven't heard anything or seen any posts about Linkcnc from Aliexpress.

I have come to realize that some suppliers make sure their screws are straight, and some expect the customer to straighten them if they are bent. I don't want bent screws or backlash.

Anyone want to offer an opinion about their experiences with either of these two companies?

Have you looked at these?
    discounted automation products: 25mm
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Have you looked at these?
    discounted automation products: 25mm
    Thank you for the suggestion.

I have seen them before. It looks like the ends are all pre machined for 20mm ID bearings. I want some custom end machining for my 15mm ID bearings and SYK mounts. Any idea on what brand these are? Perhaps I should write them for a quote and see if they will do custom end machining, but I think the webpage mentioned they were already machined. A bit off the sizes I want but close actually, all within one inch, 1500, 1000, and 500, I could make those lengths work.

The totals came to $604 + shipping via fedex to Canada for 4 piecs, so I'm guessing it would be $750 - 800 USD total but those have the wrong end machining. The quote i received from BST was around $340 including shipping, and end machining, to my exact lengths.

For $800, I'm almost at the point of getting TBI or Hiwin from Taiwan, shipped, with custom end machining to my exact sizes.

If BST is half the price, I'd have already ordered them. He's got an excellent reputation.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If BST is half the price, I'd have already ordered them. He's got an excellent reputation.
    +1

And if you need custom machining or lenght they can do it for you. Just drop them a message using Ali internal messaging.

I just received a message from Fred at BST. My ballscrews are in the mail. I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive.

interested. I just mounted mine from Mori (lvting on ebay (tech.jrs)) and I cant recomend him

you were expecting "enough" but I mean "at all"
    Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by jahnj0584 View Post
    interested. I just mounted mine from Mori (lvting on ebay (tech.jrs)) and I cant recomend him

you were expecting "enough" but I mean "at all"
    What was the problem with them? Backlash, missing balls, off center machining, bent?

So what are you going to do now? Are the ballscrews you received unuseable? Are you going to have to order again from someone else?

I can let you know when mine arrive from BST what they are like.

3 weeks delay from payment to even starting the machining

lied about them "forgetting to send one of them to the US before we send"
    (complete box was sent from china and never had anything to do in the US besides fedex's central hub)

7 days radio silence after I told about damaged corner

Was only offered 20$ back or I mail em back on my own dime....

The 2510 has a good .100 of runout. It runs fine bolted down but I may try to straighten it out at work when i get over the excitement of the new machine. The end machining on both ends were a good 4 tenths over sized and had to be sanded down at work to fit the bearings.

the 2010 screws may actually be 2005, I have to check it tomorrow and see if its a double start or not.

The 3 I ordered from the same person last year came "perfect" in every sense of the chinese word.

So, I guess Im going with Hiwin, european ground, or maybe BST from now on. Good luck with yours.

The 2510 has a good .100 of runout.
    That sucks. That's one of the reasons I went with BST, because I never heard of bent screws from them. You can straighten them yourself using some V blocks, although I've never done it. Also, you shouldn't have to try and straighten out a ballscrew you just bought. I don't know how the seller thinks it is OK to send a ballscrew that is bent like that. As far as I know, they can bend during the heat treatment, and need to be straightened, but that is something that should be done at the factory. Most ballscrew manufacturers have special machines just for that purpose.

the 2010 screws may actually be 2005, I have to check it tomorrow and see if its a double start or not.
    I've never heard of a double start rolled Chinese ball screw. Does such a thing exist? So did you do the transaction through EBay, or did you contact him on EBay and he emailed you a PayPal invoice outside of EBay?

As soon as the 60 days from time of ordering expires you're hooped. If you ordered through EBay, and you got 2005 instead of 2010, then you need to initiate a claim immediately, because that's not the product you ordered.

Aliexpress and Alibaba also have buyer guarantees, I don't know how good they are, because I've never had to use them, knock on wood. I try to research the companies I buy from before hand, so far the bearings and mounts I bought are very nice, and I have every reason to believe the ballscrews from BST will also be nice. I did have to use the EBay resolution one time, after I won 3 steppers at auction, and the seller would not respond to any of my messages, and did not ship them. So I had to wait until the estimated shipping arrival date had expired, and then EBay issued a refund through Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    I've never heard of a double start rolled Chinese ball screw. Does such a thing exist?
    Yes, I have 1610 (5mm lead) double start Chinese rolled ball screws on my machine. 2 of the 3 were bent, straightened best I could.

Quote Originally Posted by 64dodge View Post
    Yes, I have 1610 (5mm lead) double start Chinese rolled ball screws on my machine. 2 of the 3 were bent, straightened best I could.
    I learn something new every day. I didn't know they were available in Chinese rolled ball variety. I was aware that some North American suppliers made them, but I did not know that. Where did you buy them from?

econvenience1986 on e bay

I custom order from Linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay. You can buy what they have listed on the eBay site or send him a custom order via email @ [email protected]. They made my doublenut ballscrews to the specs I requested. The only thing that could be improved is the shims. I made my own shims to replace what was shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    I custom order from Linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay. You can buy what they have listed on the eBay site or send him a custom order via email @ [email protected]. They made my doublenut ballscrews to the specs I requested. The only thing that could be improved is the shims. I made my own shims to replace what was shipped.
    Were those 16mm diameter screws?

I've read some good reviews from him on the 16mm ballscrews. And some really horrid reviews on longer 25mm diameter ballscrews. He doesn't have double nut in 25mm, so I assume you are talking about 16mm.

I did get a quote from him. Was going to do it, but then I ran into some bad reviews, on this forum and elsewhere. So I decided to go with the guy that had some good reviews but no negative ones. Buying ballscrews can be a crapshoot sometimes, it would appear.

I don't want to single anyone out or give negativity towards someone I have never dealt with, but it was the deciding factor in not going with him, even though they were a bit less expensive.

Also, if you are going to buy from an EBay supplier, then I recommend buying them through EBay instead of directly through email contact. That way you are covered by the EBay complaint resolution program. If an EBay seller is sending you direct invoices to your email, I'm guessing you're hooped if there is a problem and you have a disagreement.

Not sure if Paypal will help you out the same way if it was purchased outside of EBay.

The ballscrews arrived a couple days ago. Manufacture and shipping was quite fast! I just haven't had a chance to check them out thoroughly yet. I'll give you guys a better review when I get a chance.

OK guys,

I am finally ready to give you some feedback on my experience with BST Automation.

Here are some pics of the package as it arrived:

Attachment 374504

Attachment 374508

Attachment 374510

After the ballscrews arrived, it took me a few days to get everything mounted up in the bearings and check everything out. Please also keep in mind with my review, that these are the first ballscrews I've ever owned. So I'm certainly not an expert on ballscrews.

I designed my ball screw end machining to accommodate the two spacers that came with the Bun brand end support bearings, two nuts, and the SYK mounts, previously purchased from different suppliers. My end supports have rubber seals and spacers that fit inside the seals. Also, I designed this so I could change to different Nema 34 motors if I need to (not all nema 34's have the same shaft length). Coincidentally, I am wondering what kind of grease to pack my bearings with? I was thinking standard automotive bearing grease, the same way you would pack car or trailer bearings. Any suggestions there?

The custom end machining from BST was exactly what I asked for. And exactly centered.

I couldn't feel any backlash or axial play in the ballnuts. There is a slight amount of radial play, but it is really a small amount and you have to hold onto the ballscrew very firmly next to the ballnut and firmly push on the ballnut to be able to feel it. I am guessing this is normal. Also, for a DIY machine, if all the alignment isn't perfect, this could be an advantage. In the axial direction, where you can get backlash, there is no play at all that can be felt by hand. None. I tried this on all of the ballnuts, and I can't feel any axial play or backlash at all! I'm guessing these are preloaded in the axial direction, which is good, and they feel quite solid.

The ballnuts do make a bit of sound when you spin them. I wouldn't say it's a whole lot. I have no idea what is normal. Like I said, they do feel quite solid.

There aren't any wipers on these ball nuts. I may or may not try to add some. Also, they are drilled and tapped for grease fittings, but don't come with them. The thread is M6, and they can be bought separately from BST, or elsewhere.

The one longer ballscrew, yes, I have one longer than the rest because I want to be able to load an unload parts easily from the machine I'm building for some specific things I want to make, as opposed to having two longer ballscrews for the gantry, which is normal, unfortunately, that one was bent.

When I mounted it in the bearings, and spun it, it looked like what jahnj0584 posted in post #10, but perhaps worse. I uploaded some pics and vids into dropbox and sent a link to Fred from BST. The other 3 spun perfectly in case anyone was wondering. The packaging could have been better also.

In retrospect, I think the long ballscrew may have been damaged during shipping. If you look at these pics, I wouldn't be surprised if a careless person from the shipping company had hit the package with a fork lift.

Attachment 374516

Attachment 374518

Fred responded immediately and was a perfect gentleman throughout the process. Right from the start he said there was an option to send me a new one. He asked if there was a company that could straighten it, and how much it would cost. I got a couple quotes from the two local companies I could find. Both were quite expensive, so he sent me a new one. I told him I would pay any customs fees if he sent me a new one and covered shipping. On the first shipment, the customs fees were very reasonable, on the second, there weren't any, so it wasn't even an issue. He send me a new ballscrew and ballnut together.

Here are some pics of what he sent:

Attachment 374520

Attachment 374522

And installed in the bearings:

Attachment 374524

The replacement spins absolutely true and straight as far as I can tell. I have not measured it with a gauge, but it looks perfect when you spin it.

I decided to go with BST after reading some very bad reviews of some popular EBay sellers. The common problems were bad customer service, off center machining, bent ballscrews, and missing balls or slop in the ball nuts. The ballscrews I now have are absolutely straight as far as I can tell, have no backlash that I can discern, and have very nice custom end machining to my specifications. Also, in my opinion, the customer service has been excellent. There was a problem. No excuses, no leaving me holding the bag, they fixed it. Yes, you could get better ones. The Taiwan brands will cost two to three times as much, I know, I've got quotes on them. European or American ones could cost much more than that. For people on a budget, like me, based on the quality and excellent customer service that I have experienced, I give them 5 out of 5 stars.

Fred, if you're reading this, thank you again for helping me with this. Your customer service is awesome! You are highly recommended! I hope that this gets you some more customers! I would definitely do business with you again!

Also, I should mention, the shipping was very fast, both for the original, and the replacement. The machining took a couple days, and the shipping was less than a week.

I have tried to make this review as unbiased and truthful as possible.

glad to see you got treated better then I did.

Page 1 of 2 12