585,888 active members*
4,334 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Way to monitor Backup Battey Voltage?

Way to monitor Backup Battey Voltage?

Just got the low battery alarm so I installed the dual battery kit from Haas that I got a while ago. Is there a setting or parameter that would show the voltage?
    I would love to see what the control is seeing as far as current battery voltage.

If you ck the voltage on the factory soldered battery it is 2.8ish, when you plug in the dual kit it goes up to 3.02ish. I would rather not desolder the old battery but I wonder if it is messing with the new battery's?
    Gary

Re: Way to monitor Backup Battey Voltage?

The instructions state to REMOVE THE OLD BATTERY, the cell is dead and your putting a charge to the dead battery, you dont need to desolder it just cut it off with a side cutter (dont hit any wires) with your new battery pack installed, remove the old battery from the Maincon or processor. of course do a back up before doing this, only way to check it is at the new battery board with your volt meter (You will see a + and - on the board) and when the voltage gets below 3VDC replace the batteries on the board with the power on and you will not have any issues

Yep confirmed no internal meter that you can access.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Tlarson View Post
    The instructions state to REMOVE THE OLD BATTERY, the cell is dead and your putting a charge to the dead battery, you dont need to desolder it just cut it off with a side cutter (dont hit any wires) with your new battery pack installed, remove the old battery from the Maincon or processor. of course do a back up before doing this, only way to check it is at the new battery board with your volt meter (You will see a + and - on the board) and when the voltage gets below 3VDC replace the batteries on the board with the power on and you will not have any issues
    Agreed, you will want to remove the original board mounted battery.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Agreed, you will want to remove the original board mounted battery.
    I ran into this once at a customer. It was before the replacement boards came out and the tech installed a jumper battery and left the old one on the board, and the original battery was HOT! I have done this in the past but removed the old battery and didnt solder the new one on just used the jumper\.

I did the jumper battery about 2+ish years ago when the original failed. ( no warning no alarm) Luckily I lost nothing as I had just done a regular backup.
    But I left the old battery in as I was going to re solder a new one. But then Haas came out with this kit so I got one for all the machines and they have been in a box waiting until Wed when I got the alarm
    So I agree the old battery is reducing the life of the new ones.
    Gary