585,760 active members*
3,898 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Very nice X3 breakdown & setup manual/PDF - in color
Page 1 of 2 12

Post Very nice X3 breakdown & setup manual/PDF - in color

Does anyone know where I could find this?

I remember coming across a really nice color manual (PDF) for the X3 that detailed the breakdown and setup procedure for the x3. I believe it was a Grizzly model that was featured in the manual but it appeared to published by a 3rd party vendor of somekind.

I thought I bookmarked it when I came across it here in a post a while back but can't seem to locate it now. I just got my x3 from Grizzly and would like to run through the manual to get more familiar with the mill before I break into it.

If anyone knows where that link is please post it here! I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

In color you say, that would be really great, I can't wait to see them. Oh you don't have them, darn! No wait, I saved them in my Firefox/Scrapbook, and I can call up the link.

You mean these?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/X3-CNC/

: )

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the one I was thinking of... but thank you anyway!

The one I'm thinking of featured an older gray-haired gentleman in the reference pictures and he was detailing only the breakdown and setup procedure from what I can remember.

Anyone else stumble across this by chance? I'm still searching and can't find it. I remember it being posted in a thread that wasn't directly related to the x3 so it's going to be difficult to track down at this point. But, if I find it I will be sure to post the link here.

I'm so sorry : (

Are you sure they are in PDF? I haven't seen much X3 stuff in PDF and in color.

Here are some non-cnczone X3 tear-down links:
    http://www.mini-lathe.com/X3_mill/X3rvw/X3.htm
    http://www.embeddedtronics.com/x3.html
    http://www.rlberg.com/CNC.htm
    http://tokentoolroom.com/forum/viewt...p?t=57&start=0
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...ffuraisu-9.htm

I think what you are looking for is the "X3 Small Mill Preparation Guide" that was put out by Arc Euro Trade. It is 6.1mb so I can't post a copy here.

I have emailed a copy of the pdf to your "info" address at your website. It doesn't appear to be available online any more.

Alan

Those are really great links... thanks a lot for posting those here!

Well, I found what I was looking for but unfortunately it is no longer online. That's a bummer cause it was really a nice guide! I guess it was intended for customer use and not for public viewing so they must have pulled it offline due to the traffic, etc...

Thanks for all the help BendaEM.

I just missed your post acondit.... that's the one I was looking for!

If you are still willing to email a copy to me then I'll pm you my address. I just pulled that one offline cause I was getting nailed with spam.

Thanks a ton!!!

I got your earlier pm, as soon as I get a good address I'll send it again.

Alan

Tony,

I sent it to you again.

Alan

Sorry acondit, I thought I fixed it eariler.... please give it one more try!

I just got done looking at it. What an excellent resource. It's a must-have for any x3 owner!

If no one hosts the file in the next day or two, I will.

Unfortunately, I might have broomed the man out of my garage before I could see what he could do; he used a steel/iron ball-pein hammer to loosen the drawbar! You would think he would have a brass hammer kicking around. Otherwise the teardown manual is great.

I've read that working on the quill return spring is not fun.

I would scribe or stamp witness marks on the side plates so the rear strap and the plates are assembled the same way if came from the factory. The alignment pin locations might be unique.

Sigh, I wish I could buy a metric X3 in the USA.

Download:

I'm assuming that the guide was released into the public domain at one time, so I've decided to mirror the file for now. The file is 6.2mb, so it would probably be best not to try to read it in the browser.

Download Link:
    www.brendamake.com/temp/x3_prep_guide_aut.pdf

Neither myself nor Arc Euro Trade take any responsibility for any consequences that might arise from reading said guide. The unmodified file was renamed for brevity.

Brenda you are my hero. Thank you

looks like a lot of work to go through the machine.

how beneficial is this, really?

In the first pdfs in the thread (, not the big pdf,) someone made the the x/y movement measurable smoother by polishing the gib strips. I would not touch the ways, nor would I take apart the quill unless I had to. I've never even seen an internal bearing puller before I read the teardown manual! The Z-axis setup looks tricky too.

[I would never want to take apart a quill, but if I had to, I would want to know about that puller on hand before the machine was apart.

I have read for two sources now that the quill return spring is not fun to work with, but if we look at the cup that does over the spring, it looks like someone could make a simple bar sock, and two roll pin tool to wind it.]

I've seen photos of casting sand, swarf and minor corrosion in the machines; how much difference it would make cleaning it, who is to say?

I think that the teardown manual is be a good reference for people who are repairing or modifying their machines, so that they can plan their attack, and have less chances of damaging their machine or their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaEM View Post
    I think that the teardown manual is be a good reference for people who are repairing or modifying their machines, so that they can plan their attack, and have less chances of damaging their machine or their bodies.

I think this is why I've saved the .pdf on the hard drive.

Just thought I would let you know the link to the X3 preparation guide on our website is here: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/prepgu...on%20Guide.pdf

looks like a lot of work to go through the machine.

how beneficial is this, really?
    This really depends on how quickly you expect to replace parts in your new mill !!

We prepare many of the machines we sell, particularly X3 Mills, so we get to see the things that get past SIEG quality control on a regular basis.

If you follow the guide, you may find nothing wrong... more likely you will

I'm not knocking SIEG. Their machines are very good for the price but can be even better with a little work from the end user which is why we took the trouble to take all those photos and publish the guide.

Regards
    Alan
    Arc Euro Trade Ltd, UK
    www.arceurotrade.co.uk

Thanks a ton for putting the manual together and for making it available to the public Alan. It came in really handy for my initial x3 setup and I'm really glad that I took the time up-front to go over everything covered in the manual. I couldn't imagine running an x3 right out of the box after seeing how gritty everything was upon arrival.

Thank You Allan : )

Allan, when I checked your site, I couldn't find neither the X3 nor the prep guide, so I've been serving it from my site.

I thought the no-longer online pdf is well-branded with your company's contact information, so I thought the effect would be little more than free publicity for your company, and a resource for people who do not live in the UK.

Of late, I see that you are still selling X3s, and the manual is online (again?)

Respectfully, if you want I will remove the link to bring increased traffic to your site, or I can leave it up to bring reduced traffic to your site.

Page 1 of 2 12