585,722 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345

Re: Motor drive ratios and speed

It was a different thread. I was learning something from one of your earlier posts.
    Another head banger from 1Jumper10! I DO have a dual drive gantry and like the thought of starting square daily. It seems really impossible to imagine the whole dual drive thing actually works but that might be another area where the Clearpath should shine exceptionally well over steppers. Now, would the inconvenience be the fact that you'd need to start homing so close to save time, considering the fact that you need to travel so slow? Or what?

It was a different thread. I was learning something from one of your earlier posts.
    Another head banger from 1Jumper10! I DO have a dual drive gantry and like the thought of starting square daily. It seems really impossible to imagine the whole dual drive thing actually works but that might be another area where the Clearpath should shine exceptionally well over steppers. Now, would the inconvenience be the fact that you'd need to start homing so close to save time, considering the fact that you need to travel so slow? Or what?

Here's how it works on my friends machine: When I'm done with the machine I leave the gantry parked close to the end stops. So when I power it up and enable the servo's, the gantry only has to travel a short distance to the end stops. The gantry makes contact with the end stops on both sides and then each servo backs away the same amount. Since the end stops are the square reference points, and the servos back away the same amount, you end up with servo's that are in sync and a square gantry. The whole thing takes about 10 - 20 seconds. I could go step it up some but why?

My new machine, for all intents, has no flex in the gantry at all. The servo's couldn't force it square if it was out. Hard stop homing there will only serve to sync up the servo's so they don't fight each other.

Ken -

Here is how I hooked up my HLFB signals. The diagram is from Weerasak at CNCroom and here is the text he sent with it:

Hi Chris,
    I think you are looking for this circuit.
    pin x102 is a result of safety circuit. you need to assign x102 for Estop signal in UCCNC.
    In normal circumstance all output of the devices will conduct, if there is an error, the output is not conduct.

Regards,
    Weerasak

Terrific. I will set this up today and see what happens and report in.
    Thanks again,
    Ken

Jumper, did you mean to say X103 for e-stop?
    Also, I haven't crossed the Over-ride switch "bridge" yet. I never had to use one in Mach3. I always have used limit switches to home and they were set to automatically override and reverse till the switch cleared. I'm assuming also that the override would be a momentary switch.

No, its definitely X102 as the E-stop input if you wire it like the diagram. Thats how the OSSD circuit works. If any of those HLFB signals arent there, or you've hit the E-stop button, the UB1 will output the E-stop signal on X102. And thats the output you want to monitor with UCCNC. In the diagram you can see where I've also input the alarm signal from my VFD on X108.

As for the override, I wouldnt worry about that right away, you can always add it later if you need to. I dont think you need it if you do it just like the diagram.

Ok, I think I get it now. The actual wire goes to X103 (since there is no terminal X102), but it is called out as X102 in UCCNC.

Yes. But thats just your E-stop switch on x103. You could have it on a different input on the UB1, like X108 if you connected the solder bridge to make it part of the OSSD circuit. Your E-stop switch is treated just like any other normally closed input.
    Think of the OSSD feature on the UB1 as a bunch of E-stop switches, your HLFB's from the servo's, your actual E-stop switch, plus any other NC circuit you'd wish to monitor. If for instance there is suddenly a problem with just one of the CP servo's and it quits sending the OK signal back on the HLFB input. The OSSD see's that as a problem with one of its inputs and it sends out the E-stop signal to UCCNC via X102.
    UCCNC can only monitor 1 E-stop input. With the UB1, you can monitor several inputs that you'd like to treat as E-stops. If any one of them is not OK, UCCNC gets the E-stop signal from X102.

I have a little trick for the override input if you find you need it.

Sorry, I'm at the machine now and I see that the X102 is referred to in the safety circuit but as I look at the pin map in UB1 doc, I don't see it unless you're referring to the slot called OSSD feedback which would be pin 2 port 1
    I feel pretty dense here. Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-10-25 11_45_35-UB1 Owner Manual E15R0.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg  

Port 1 pin 2, (X102) OSSD feedback, is the E-Stop pin setting you need to set in UCCNC. You'll need an override switch to recover from an E stop set this way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There is no terminal for Port 1, Pin 2. It's wired directly to the UC300ETH, and is activated when the UB1 safety circuit is activated. As Jumper said, you assign it to the E Stop in UCCNC.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gentlemen,
    Had a hard time getting that one through my thick skull.

I had to leave the shop early today but I did get a blinking green light at the servo indicating that it is ready to accept step and direction signals.
    It still wasn't moving and I'm confident that the HLFB wires are in the right place x103 and up. Since I had already solder jumped X104, 105,105, and 107, I had to install jumpers to make that circuit work with only the Y motor hooked up on X105 for testing. Does that make sense?
    I will check out the enable connections tomorrow and see if I can't see some daylight at the end of the tunnel and make something move.

Ken

Was the green light on the servo a rapidly blinking green light? That is the normal, enabled everything is ok, I'll move if you send me a command, blinking green light. If it was blinking slow there is a problem. When first powered up and no enable signal the light is steady yellow. When enabled it rapidly blinks green. It might be easier to get up and running if you get the Z or X axis going first since those axis have only one motor and it's easier to auto tune. Also, after auto tuning, don't forget to set the servo mode to Step/Direction in the servo firmware.

And another thing, just until you get things up and running, it's easier to temporarily set your E stop input to pin 3, port 1 assuming that's your E stop switch. Your E stop switch will function normally, putting the machine into Reset and disabling your servos. It effectively bypasses the interlock function of the OSSD circuit and it will let you recover from Reset without worrying about the OSSD override. This is only for testing, you shouldn't plan to run like that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi Jumper.
    Yes, the light was a flickering green. Nice. I quickly arrow keyed the Y axis and got no movement. The Y-1 axis is set up independently of the 2nd Y, which I call Y-2. Y-2 is not yet connected, though the cables have been replaced and run, UCCNC doesn't know it exists yet. I bought 4 Clearpaths to get the ball rolling. 2 for X (dual drive), 1 for Y-1, and 1 for Z-1.

So, is it true that I needn't be worried about a charge pump circuit? Just used to what I had with my other AXYZ machine which runs on Mach3, a C32 and a Smoothstepper Ethernet. I pretty much did the exact same thing about a year and a half ago but this is a new controller, bob and UCCNC operating system and Clearpaths. Same only different :drowning:
    As soon as I get the Y moving respectably, I'll work on the other axis' and limit switches.
    This 6010 has 2 Perske spindles (5.5 hp) and the both run nicely. Thanks again for the hard bump thought on homing the X. I think it makes a lot of sense. I'm sure one could put 2 switches in but how would you "tune" the switches into exact position for squareness? Once the stops are set, it seems like the thing to do is crawl both motors to home and let torque tell the Clearpath that it is in position.

Pics just after it hit home about 2 months ago. The box was cleared and refilled with new gear.

Ken - Charge pump is really easy and I like how it works. To use it you might have to add a contactor to cut power to your spindles and servo's.
    Also, if your trying to move your Y axis using the "Y" key on the keyboard I dont think it will work. I've never heard of jogging that way and I just went and tested it on my set up and it doesnt work. It must be a MACH3 feature? Try using the jog commands in UCCNC. They pop out of the RUN screen when you hover over the left side with your mouse.

EDIT - I just tried using the Y + arrow key to jog and that does work. Thanks. Didnt know that.

Thanks Jumper, I mean to say that I'm trying to move Y with the up and down arrow keys. I have also tried the flyout on the left side of the screen. In both cases the DRO's move so I presume it is registering the move in UCCNC but motors haven't awaken...YET.

OK. I can help you with connections if you need it. Double check your firmware on the servo to make sure its set to step-direction mode. It defaults to "no setting" after auto tuning.

So, is it true that I needn't be worried about a charge pump circuit?
    It really all depends on how you want your machine to operate. There are a million different ways to wire things.

I'm using the charge pump with an external safety relay, The safety relay and charge pump are in my E-Stop circuit, which control a contactor powering my AC servos. So, I can't power up the servos until UCCNC is up and running.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I do understand that there are a lot of ways to go here. These controllers and Bobs are made to be versatile and that makes them a lot less than "out-of-the-box" ready, but what another fruitless day of floundering. I am and I'm running out of things to try.

The servos are still showing a flickering green light so I'm guessing they are getting at least SOME of what they want. The DRO's advance with arrow key and or flyout buttons. I have the HLFB connections for the Y connected positive to the to the the Y105 and the neg to 0v.
    The Enable neg wire is on Y301 and the positive is on 24v.
    The Emergency button is normally closed and positive to Y104 and negative on 0v.
    And both the positive Step and Dir wires are on a 24v and the Step and Dir neg wires are on the proper Y axis negs on the UB1.

The only real oddity I can think of is that I went ahead and solder bridged the Y104,105,106, and 107 to set up for the limits switches, so after hooking the emergency stop to Y103 (the I/O is set at Y102), and the Y HLFB positive to Y105, I jumpered the others to make the safety circuit continuous through 107 without actually hooking up the switches (which I don't have yet).

I took a couple of screenshots to expose my weak and frustrated underbelly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171026_174559299_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171026_174540568_HDR.jpg  

Page 3 of 5 12345