584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?
Page 4 of 6 23456

Re: Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I'm not sure if the machines use the same BOB or not. One of the things I was not happy with is the wizard on the acorn board. It is quite limited if you want to change things. Some research turned up a menu that you can change things from. I forget exactly what it is called. I was in there briefly and there are a lot of parameters in there. I need to learn how to work with those. That takes away the complaint I would have had. For the most part any information you need is available its just a little hard to find. Some times its in a manual, a youtube video or in the help forum. I'm pretty optimistic about it so far. Next thing to get going is the probe. I bought a drewtronics probe. I'm not a fan of edge finders. They work but are just slow. My pendant is unfortunately not compatible with the acorn.

The only thing left to decide is if I am going to use the power drawbar or not. I have been looking at other options and there seem to be a few that are far less cost than the novakon option. My original plan was to eventually get the tool changer. That is no longer in my plans. I have had problems a few times with the novakon drawbar not tightening enough. I was provided with a solution for that about a year ago but have not tried it yet. For the most part the mill has been in storage for the last year.

Looking forward to making some chips again.
    Regarding the PDB, I'd take up another hobby before I went back to changing tools with a wrench.

I'm not going to stop using a power drawbar. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to continue using the one from Novakon. There are some other options available that are air powered.

Upnorth..... any more updates on this?
    On your draw bar not tightening enough.....are you running the battery or a power supply?
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post
    Upnorth..... any more updates on this?
    On your draw bar not tightening enough.....are you running the battery or a power supply?
    No real updates. Summer stuff got in the way. I bought a surplus manual lathe so it has been soaking up some of the workshop time. I should have the mill running this week but am still not sure about the power draw bar. I am using a battery not a power supply. Ray did mention using a switching power supply and I really should give that a try before I go to something else. So far no issues with the acorn. A few times it did fail to load but loaded the next time and worked. I need to get some cutting tests going been putting things off too much.

Thanks for the update.
    I really like having the power supply instead of the battery. I had a couple of issues with the battery not charging...if I remember right. It was setup to charge when the mill was plugged in, but one of the chargers died. I didn't realize it until I had a tightening issue......then I had to wait for the battery to charge up after I replaced the charger. I will say that I did have a power supply die on me too. They're super cheap, so I bought two when I did the swap. So, when the one died, I swapped it out and ordered another for a back up. The 2nd was has been running without issue.......but I don't run my mill everyday or even every month. I've never had a issue with it not tightening.

Can you give me the part number and manufacturer or the specs of the power supply you are using? I measured the torque applied a while back and it was definitely low. I would like to try the power supply instead of a battery.

It's nice how ebay and amazon keep track of your past orders. lol This is what I ordered from Amazon. I believe if was a direct recommendation from Ray L.

Aiposen 110/220V to DC12V 30A 360W Switch Power Supply Driver,Power Transformer for CCTV Camera/Security System/LED Strip Light(12V30A)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks mklotz70. Acorn works now. I have the axis set up, coolant works, spindle control works.

Last thing is the power draw bar. Does anyone know what I have to do to make connections to bypass the original Novakon BOB? Specifically what to do with the connections on the break out board connector 6P where it connects to the BOB. Can I somehow route them directly to the VFD? I want to make sure it works before I replace the battery with a power supply.

Take a look at this Meanwell PS. Ships from Canada and CSA approved.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/...tsV5s3eA%3D%3D

Steve

Thanks Steve I will go with that option. I also need a second power supply because the one that came with the acorn just failed. Looks like the connector that I was asking about in post #68 does not matter the drawbar operates without it. I think hooking up the drawbar to the power supply was a bit to much for it. Its a pretty small power supply. I'll order one a bit bigger for the acorn to replace the one that just failed. I don't think I could make one for the price they sell for.

mklotz70 when I mentioned earlier about the drawbar not tightening I should have said it would not tighten enough. It worked fine when cutting aluminum but the tools were pulling out while cutting steel. I used a calibrated torque wrench to test it and I was getting about 15 foot pounds if I remember correctly. At the time I did get some tech support on it from Ray so no issue there. I went away for work for a while so the mill just sat wrapped up and idle for a long time. I still have 2 more months off so its time to get it running again so I can make some stuff.

You're welcome.
    I like Steve's option too.....it's also available in the states for others reading this.

Ray has always been very helpful! I'm looking forward to you getting this 100% finished. I'm still strongly considering this option. I know John(Novakon) has said that they're switching to a Siemens controller and that there will be a retrofit, but I'm sure that will be well out of my price range. Ray didn't like the Centroid and went a different route.....I still need to check that one out a bit more. Thanks!!

Some good news the power supply for the acorn is fine. I was getting a 2 VDC pulse so I thought it was blown. I took it out and bench tested it it seemed to be working. I then put an ohm meter between the Power bus for the 24 volt system and the DC ground. It showed a short circuit. I disconnected the +24 volt wires one by one until I narrowed it down to where the short was. It was in the limit sensor for the Y axis. I checked the sensor and found that the wire had come out of the cover and got pinched. I spliced the wire and its working fine now. I think I will still install the bigger power supply I ordered to allow for some expansion in the future.

I like the idea of the Siemens control but I think it might be too pricey for me. I have 2 more machines that will be getting upgraded when this one is finished and I want to stay with the same control on all 3.

The drewtronics probe works well although I still have to adjust it. It seems to repeat to within about .0003".

That is good news. Which Drewtronic's probe do you have, the TTS shank or the 3/8" shank?

Steve

I bought the one with the 3/8" shank. I then put it into an TTS holder that I had here. I don't see the benefit in getting one already in a TTS holder its cheaper to go the route I did. Possibly the known gauge length you get when you buy the one already in the tts holder is an advantage? The repeatability is great but the final numbers it gave me for bore size was way off. I have to calibrate the Y axis. I though I had done it a while back but the probe pointed out the error and it was correct. Verified by measurements. I should be able to get that done tomorrow and then I will give another report.

That's good news! We use similar power supplies at work. When they get over taxed, they "crowbar". Removing power for a minute will reset them. It's pretty rare that we actually kill one of them, but it does happen.

I like the spec on the drewtronics probe. Just might have to consider one of those too.

I'd like to have the same controller on my little lathe and my mill.....so the Siemens doesn't really appeal to me too much......but the price would be the real reason. lol

I think John is aiming his new mill at the Tormach MX market with the Siemens control, all servo motors, rigid tapping and a 6,000 to 9,000 RPM Spindle. I am sure the price will be higher as well. He will need a PDB and maybe an ATC for it as well. I don't see guys investing in a more expensive mill which does not have a PDB included or at the very least as an option. I bet this new mill is many months away from actual shipping.

Steve

I got the Y axis calibrated and also the probe tip. Numbers are better but not perfect. I think its a problem with my measuring system I need to set up something better for testing. Worst case was out by .010" I'm sure this was because of my setup for measuring I need to find something with a good calibrated bore for final measurements. On some of my randomly chosen bores from the shop it was within .001". If that is the case its good enough for anything I have planned.

Like you mklotz70 I also want to stick with the same control for my machines. I have a second cnc mill and a small cnc lathe as well. I would like to have them all on the same system. If the new control from Novakon comes out soon I will have a look at it and then decide.

I'm interested in seeing the new mill from Novakon. To be honest though Steve I don't see another Novakon in my future. The one I have now was bought new but since then the company has moved to the USA. Bringing the machines across the border is expensive. From time to time older little used machines pop up and are good candidates for a new control install.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Thanks mklotz70. Acorn works now. I have the axis set up, coolant works, spindle control works.

Last thing is the power draw bar. Does anyone know what I have to do to make connections to bypass the original Novakon BOB? Specifically what to do with the connections on the break out board connector 6P where it connects to the BOB. Can I somehow route them directly to the VFD? I want to make sure it works before I replace the battery with a power supply.
    Did you get your PDB setup yet? I just did this a few weeks ago while installing UCCNC / uc300eth-ub1 in my new Torus build.

*Take note* There are 2 white wires, one is spindle direction (pin6) and one is ground (pin3)

6pin---Novacon BOB
    W --> Direction Fwd/Rev from Acorn
    R --> Vc Spindle speed control from Acorn
    Blk -->Ground/Common for I/O from Acorn

W --> Ground
    Blu ---> VFD Enable signal from Acorn (may have to configure from Acorn relay)
    Grn ---> Estop from Acorn

4pin----Novakon BOB
    R ---> 5VDC
    Blk ---> Ground
    Brn ---> Probe input to Acorn

I assume you have the automation direct VFD, which is already wired. (that would be the easiest) There is one end of the harness that only attaches to VFD. My VFD is a Hitachi Wj200, and I currently do not have jog control from the PDB. I am sure it can be configured but I had to get some parts made before I get back to it. (currently I have to line up spindle break disc manually to change tools)

I have been following your post as I considered the Acorn. I went with UCCNC because I previously installed it on my router and thought it best to keep the same controls. I like it better than mach3. However, the dedicated motion chip in Acorn should give you superior results. The cost is comparable, I should have gone this direction. (perhaps a future upgrade)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmhx2 View Post
    Did you get your PDB setup yet? I just did this a few weeks ago while installing UCCNC / uc300eth-ub1 in my new Torus build.

*Take note* There are 2 white wires, one is spindle direction (pin6) and one is ground (pin3)

6pin---Novacon BOB
    W --> Direction Fwd/Rev from Acorn
    R --> Vc Spindle speed control from Acorn
    Blk -->Ground/Common for I/O from Acorn

W --> Ground
    Blu ---> VFD Enable signal from Acorn (may have to configure from Acorn relay)
    Grn ---> Estop from Acorn

4pin----Novakon BOB
    R ---> 5VDC
    Blk ---> Ground
    Brn ---> Probe input to Acorn

I assume you have the automation direct VFD, which is already wired. (that would be the easiest) There is one end of the harness that only attaches to VFD. My VFD is a Hitachi Wj200, and I currently do not have jog control from the PDB. I am sure it can be configured but I had to get some parts made before I get back to it. (currently I have to line up spindle break disc manually to change tools)

I have been following your post as I considered the Acorn. I went with UCCNC because I previously installed it on my router and thought it best to keep the same controls. I like it better than mach3. However, the dedicated motion chip in Acorn should give you superior results. The cost is comparable, I should have gone this direction. (perhaps a future upgrade)
    There is no dedicated motion chip on the Acorn, it is a beagleboard: BeagleBoard.org - community supported open hardware computers for making
    The UC300ETH has a dedicated motion chip.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    There is no dedicated motion chip on the Acorn, it is a beagleboard: BeagleBoard.org - community supported open hardware computers for making
    The UC300ETH has a dedicated motion chip.
    Thank you for the information, I went out and did a little reading. I used to use a Galil controller on my router. I assumed the acorn was similar but see that it is not. It appears the Oak controller may be similar to the Galil as it is closed loop in the controller. As well as addressing the issue I had with Gaili, integrating a software front end.

Page 4 of 6 23456