584,826 active members*
5,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

chips and oil on the wall

I am getting a new machine and moving some others and it is time to do something about an ongoing issue. My shop walls are painted drywall and they are coated with cutting oil and pieces of metal chips that stick to the oily mess. I was thinking of putting on the stuff you can get at Home Depot that is kind of like paneling, but is made out of 1/8" or so plastic. Not sure how well that stuff holds up or how easy it is to clean. Has anyone put anything similar on their walls that can comment? Stainless steel would be nice, but a bit on the expensive side.

Re: chips and oil on the wall

If you are talking about the plastic coated wallboard stuff, like white board material, yes it works well. I have had it behind my lathe for years, easy to clean and has held up very well.

Re: chips and oil on the wall

Not the plastic coated masonite stuff, although I used that in a darkroom years ago because of chemical splashing. Just found it on Home Depot web site and it is called FRP which is fiberglass reinforced plastic. Looks like it is about $20 a sheet.

You can try Wahoo Walls are typically used for basements, but they can be used anywhere. These wall panels have an expanded polystyrene core. On both sides is a 1/4" thick layer of mineral board. So far I think it's most high-end a wall without spending a fortune. It is also proven to be the most time effective way to complete an accent wall or ceiling compared many other competing products. You'll be able to quickly coat over your pre-existing shower walls making them seamless and water resistant. Not sure if it's gonna be any cheaper than stainless steel though.