584,805 active members*
4,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Looking for advice on setting up the tool table in PathPilot along with Fusion 360

Looking for advice on setting up the tool table in PathPilot along with Fusion 360

Hi Folks,

Trying to figure out the best methodology for setting up the tool table in PathPilot along with Fusion. Since I'm new to PathPilot I have read snippits about having probes at certain tool numbers along with height sensors at other tool numbers and using table entry 0 for no tool in the machine.

Give me your best ideas and thoughts on the best way to setup the tool table and maybe some of the why. Ultimately I would like to build out the tool table with almost every tool you would likely use in some coherent manner that works for reason I have yet to identify.

My only thought on this to start was to maybe use the first 10 slots in the table for the most goto tools like a 1/4 endmill etc.

Lets hear what you think.

Thanks

Re: Looking for advice on setting up the tool table in PathPilot along with Fusion 36

I am still learning, but this is what I have so far...

Tool number 0 is predefined in PP to be no tool (spindle only).

Some people use high numbers (like 99) for things like Haimer sensors and edge finders. I prefer the low numbers.

I use tool 1 for my Haimer, and then my most used tools start after that. I used to have a couple edge finders (tools 2 and 3) but now I only use the Haimer. I have tools I use all the time (fly cutter, roughing mill. 3/8 finish mill, and they get the lower numbers, and then I have drills, taps and stranger stuff like the boring head after that. I don't leave open slots (so that I don't have to scroll as much).

When I assign a tool to a number, I leave it assigned to that number, even if I remove it from the TTS holder to use the holder on another tool (I have a few holders holders, but still not enough for every cutter). I retain the numbers in Fusion 360 also. That way they stay in sync. When I do use a tool's TTS holder for something else, I set the tool length in PP to 10 inches to remind me that it needs a holder and touched off again. Setting it to 10 inches is better than 0 inches, in case I accidentally select that number, it won't crash. As you may know, the PP tool length has no bearing on Fusion 360, although the tool geometry does.

In Fusion 360, I might have multiple versions of the same tool, depending on the material. For example, I have a tool folder for steel and a tool folder for aluminum, and the same 3/8 cutter and tool number in each, and each "copy" of the 3/8 cutter will have different speeds and feeds depending on the material. In fusion 360 I have pretty accurate geometry setups for the TTS holders and while the overall length (the PP tool length) isn't important, I do trey to keep the cutter length that extends from the holder accurate. Just to make sure that fusion 360 can detect a collision.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    I am still learning, but this is what I have so far...

Tool number 0 is predefined in PP to be no tool (spindle only).

Some people use high numbers (like 99) for things like Haimer sensors and edge finders. I prefer the low numbers.

I use tool 1 for my Haimer, and then my most used tools start after that. I used to have a couple edge finders (tools 2 and 3) but now I only use the Haimer. I have tools I use all the time (fly cutter, roughing mill. 3/8 finish mill, and they get the lower numbers, and then I have drills, taps and stranger stuff like the boring head after that. I don't leave open slots (so that I don't have to scroll as much).

When I assign a tool to a number, I leave it assigned to that number, even if I remove it from the TTS holder to use the holder on another tool (I have a few holders holders, but still not enough for every cutter). I retain the numbers in Fusion 360 also. That way they stay in sync. When I do use a tool's TTS holder for something else, I set the tool length in PP to 10 inches to remind me that it needs a holder and touched off again. Setting it to 10 inches is better than 0 inches, in case I accidentally select that number, it won't crash. As you may know, the PP tool length has no bearing on Fusion 360, although the tool geometry does.

In Fusion 360, I might have multiple versions of the same tool, depending on the material. For example, I have a tool folder for steel and a tool folder for aluminum, and the same 3/8 cutter and tool number in each, and each "copy" of the 3/8 cutter will have different speeds and feeds depending on the material. In fusion 360 I have pretty accurate geometry setups for the TTS holders and while the overall length (the PP tool length) isn't important, I do trey to keep the cutter length that extends from the holder accurate. Just to make sure that fusion 360 can detect a collision.

Bob
    For what it is worth:
    The Tormach probe must be #99
    My Hammer is #98
    Numbers size drills are #101 to #160
    Often used tools are low numbers and never change even if not currently in a TTS holder

In the beginning I set all tool lengths to 11.111 inches using G10 to prevent using an uncensored tool with the default length of zero

Re: Looking for advice on setting up the tool table in PathPilot along with Fusion 36

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    For what it is worth:
    The Tormach probe must be #99
    My Hammer is #98
    That explains the use of high numbers with the sensors.

Bob

Setting the tool length to 10 or 11.111 until measured is something I wouldn't have thought of and it is good to know the probe has to be 99. Good info. Keep the tips, methods or ideas coming.

In the beginning I set all tool lengths to 11.111 inches using G10 to prevent using an uncensored tool with the default length of zero
    Forgive my ignorance, but would you mind elaborating on how you do this with G10? This should be a default setting in my opinion.

Cheers,

Scott

Can you set tool length with a gcode program? This would make it easy to do a bunch of tools at once.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Looking for advice on setting up the tool table in PathPilot along with Fusion 360

I had first thought syncing fusion and pathpilot tool numbers would be a good idea ; this would be a great solution until I realized I didn't have enough tool slots in pathpilot. The drills take up hundreds of numbers for me so , like you, I keep endmills in designated pp slots (regardless of holder) and then I have 3 drill chucks that live in the certain pp spots and I change out the bits depending on the job. I update the tool diameter and length to identify the bit...

I don't know if gcode has a limit on tool numbers itself , but it would be nice to have 1024 or 2048 slots in pathpilot instead of 255 or whatever the cap is?..

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    Can you set tool length with a gcode program? This would make it easy to do a bunch of tools at once.
    Sorry but I'm currently in Dublin (Ireland) and do not have my notes. Look at the Tormach description of G10 or PM me next week. There is no obvious way to set the tool description in geode so I just set lengths to avoid disasters from unmeasured tools.

Sorry but I'm currently in Dublin (Ireland) and do not have my notes. Look at the Tormach description of G10 or PM me next week. There is no obvious way to set the tool description in geode so I just set lengths to avoid disasters from unmeasured tools.
    I think I figured it out, but I haven't tried it yet. This gcode should set the tool length for tool 100 to 20.0 inches
    G10 L1 P100 Z20.0
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Back home!

Following is a sample snippet from my tool table fill gcode. Unused entries are set to 11.111 inches long. A cleverer scheme might be to test the value of each entry and, if currently zero, set it to a large value to avoid potential disasters from using uninitialized tool numbers.

G10 L1 P96 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P97 Z11.1111
    (Tool 98 is defined in the offsets as Haimer probe)
    (Tool 99 is defined in the offsets as Tormach passive probe)
    G10 L1 P100 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P101 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P102 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P103 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P104 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P105 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P106 Z11.1111
    (Tool 107 is defined in the offsets as Drill #7)
    G10 L1 P108 Z11.1111
    G10 L1 P109 Z11.1111

Just load the file as any other gcode program and press Cycle Start. Note that it takes a while to run since it appears that PP writes the tool table to a file after each G10 line.

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    That explains the use of high numbers with the sensors.

Bob
    I didnt know this! I have Sprutcam setup to use 1-5 for my Hamier, 1 digital height gauge. and 1 analog height gauge. Was saving the rest for electronic probes.