584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Alternatives to the original Taig spindle motor?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Alternatives to the original Taig spindle motor?

quicky question here: I bought the deepgroove brushless upgrade and it is shrill sounding, enough to wear out my ears for anything running more than 5 or 10 minutes, INSIDE A CUSTOM BUILT SOUND-BOX I BUILT! Does anybody else here have experience with this motor? I'm not getting good support from deepgroove on this (his only reply is that these motors have not had a failure problem in the many units he has sold, which says nothing about the noise. It actually sounds like worn out bearings and has lots of micro-stutters. I have a recording if anybody wants to give a listen.
    thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowphile View Post
    quicky question here: I bought the deepgroove brushless upgrade and it is shrill sounding, enough to wear out my ears for anything running more than 5 or 10 minutes, INSIDE A CUSTOM BUILT SOUND-BOX I BUILT! Does anybody else here have experience with this motor? I'm not getting good support from deepgroove on this (his only reply is that these motors have not had a failure problem in the many units he has sold, which says nothing about the noise. It actually sounds like worn out bearings and has lots of micro-stutters. I have a recording if anybody wants to give a listen.
    thanks for reading.
    Good luck with any support from her/him whatever he is now. That is an overpriced kit and same parts can be had on Amazon for 114ish for motor and 10 bucks for an XL 20 tooth for spindle and XL40 tooth for motor. You just need to bore them yourself.

Sound like the motor bearings are bad (common issue and why I bought from Amazon for easy returns). If you paid with Paypal, they will pay your return shipping....get you money back and make your own. Tons of info on belts/pulleys/motors on the Taig FB group. I have switch to a DMM 750W Servo myself.

I really don't like Facebook. Any chance of getting a quick summary here of how you are injecting the speed control signal from the CNC control into the motor controller?

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    I really don't like Facebook. Any chance of getting a quick summary here of how you are injecting the speed control signal from the CNC control into the motor controller?
    Are we talking the Consew controller or DMM?. Also which board are you using for speed control? If it outputs a 0-10v signal, your best and safest bet is to buy a KBSI-240D as it gives isolation and zero/span adjustment pots. You can find them used on ebay for 30 bucks or less if you keep an eye out. Their becoming quite popular again with all the folks using these controllers which have signal voltages referenced at main voltage levels. Look for one with a green pcb board and not the really old white board.

There are also two or three options from CNC4PC. A C69 board, a C11G board and one other variant of these I can't remember. These give you isolation, but only a single trim pot. So you have to tweak the duty cycle to get your startup voltage to the 1.7v where the Consew starts and use the pot for the upper end of 4.8v. All controllers vary a little. FYI if it's the 4 digit display model, you can run the speed up on the controller to 7k RPM, but it was never stable for me above 6500 RPM. And just remember the 0-5v signal is 170v-175v, that's what kicks the crap out of most people and fries their board if they use any earth common with speed control.

If it was DMM their manual is good.

Forums are dying. I hate FB too. Just makeup a name and use it, otherwise it's your loss since almost all info now goes there for the most part. I try to post a few things over here when I can, but just don't have the time mostly.

Good luck! And get a DMM when you can. I love mine.

I was interested in the Consew (specifically the CSM1000); because it's inexpensive and seemed to be relatively lightweight. The machine I'm thinking of putting it on is a MaxNC 10, which I'm using as a testbed (it's small and can stay next to my iMac, where I do my programming).

And just remember the 0-5v signal is 170v-175v, that's what kicks the crap out of most people and fries their board if they use any earth common with speed control.
    To borrow a line from Han Solo... "Well, that's the trick, now isn't it?"

I'm in the process of moving everything over to a grbl-derived PC-less controller system... so the hardware will be either a RAMPS 1.4 card + requisite adapters (possibly custom); or a custom breakout board that I've designed that is more-or-less RAMPS compatible as far as pin mapping on the Arduino side goes but has outputs intended to be compatible with components like GeckoDrives that are more common on traditional CNC setups than 3D printer setups. (and in either case the breakout boards - RAMPS or mine - ride on top of an Arduino Mega 2560).

As the design sits now, my breakout boards have both RS485 (intended for use with ModBus-enabled VFDs) and a PWM to 0-10v signal out; and for the RAMPS cards I've got a standalone PWM to 0-10v converter PCB on the way from China (along with a few other PCBs - they should be here sometime early next week). Actually, the PWM converters can go up to almost the system positive voltage rail; as it uses a LM358 with a 10-turn trimmer pot to set the gain; all the other components have a LM2596 buck converter powering them; so in principal, you should be able to get 0-30v or so out of it if you fed 32v in on the system positive voltage rail.

FWIW, I'm not opposed to modifying my breakout board designs to add any functionality needed to cleanly interface with these sort of motor controllers (re-doing a board, when included in another batch so the shipping is combined, is only $4USD).

In case anybody's curious; this is my fork of grbl-mega that runs standalone:
    https://github.com/bdurbrow/grbl-Mega

Just makeup a name and use it
    WHAT?!? And not comply with a corporate policy?!? Surely you jest, good sir!

Page 2 of 2 12