584,802 active members*
4,887 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Polygon as single line

Polygon as single line

Hello.

First off, I am not a machinist, I am running a HAAS VF2 machine to cut ceramic. I have OneCNC software to load a drawing and create a file.

Our job is very simple, cutting a circle path.

However, it is not a real circle, but rather a many sided polygon. Our CAD engineers have given me the drawing in many forms (polyline, exploded, etc.) and all of them are giving me the same problem.

I have even drawn my own polygon within OneCNC with the same issue.

The issue is that when creating a drill path, I select the line and cut direction and run through the options of the tool and when complete, I check the work and it seems that only the one section of the polygon that I clicked on is active. I cannot get the entire "circle" to activate.

Please help. I cannot select each section individually because it has too many sides (some parts as much as 150)

Thanks.

Dave

Re: Polygon as single line

Hi,
    Try hitting the F3 key once you have selected the first point on your polygon. This will automatically select the whole shape, as long as it is properly trimmed. Another method is selecting your start point and cut direction and then click the end point of the shape.

If this doesn't work, try using the select chain tool and select the polygon, this will usually show you where the error is because the line of selection will stop if there is a break in your shape..

JD

I think that did it! After pressing F3, the cut path is highlighted around the entire polygon. And the job time is around what I calculate it should be with our feed rate. Thanks!

where you wanting a many sided polygon or a real circle. ive noticed DXF containing poly lines get broken down to muliple straight lines but there is a way to get smooth curves. cant recall it off the top of my head but if you need it i can dig it up.

Quote Originally Posted by murrayadams View Post
    where you wanting a many sided polygon or a real circle. ive noticed DXF containing poly lines get broken down to muliple straight lines but there is a way to get smooth curves. cant recall it off the top of my head but if you need it i can dig it up.
    Thanks for following up. It is actually not supposed to be a true circle, but a many sided polygon. The F3 trick worked for us. Thanks.