585,760 active members*
3,891 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can an 80w laser cut metals...any metal?

I am buying one of the chinese lasers the first of the week and am just wondering if you guys think I'll be able to cut .030 (22ga) stainless? If so at what rough speed? Do you think it will cut at all? Or will I be able to get .2"/sec?

What are your toughts?

Thanks
    Mike Purcell
    www.classicplayfields.com

In short no, You can not even cut aluminum foil with one. You can engrave metal but only with a product called cermark, It creates a chemical reaction with the metal to acheive the engraving. Sort of like powdercoating.

Aksess;

Thanks, that's just the info I needed. I'm not buying it to cut metal anyway.... good thing :-) But was just trying to figure out others things I can cut besides what I need to cut.

Thanks
    Mike Purcell
    www.classicplayfields.com

80W might be able to cut 22awg steel, but probably not aluminum. You'll need an assist gas. I don't really know much, but I've done it with 100W CO2. Can't remember IPM, but somewhere from 10-20.

I am sure you could get that thing to cut steel if you can use oxygen as an assist gas. You may be able to cut stainless steel using oxygen as an assist gas (I haven't tried to cut SS with that low of power). Aluminum is very reflective so it is tougher to cut. I wouldn't want to guess whether or not you could use oxygen and get it to cut with 80 watts. Oxygen is definitely your best bet for an assist gas with that low of a wattage machine while trying to cut various metals. If I can "steal" one of the lasers from production tomorrow I will try it.

I must apologize folks - I made the assumption that these "chinese lasers" are CO2 and I have not researched them at all so please hold back on the flaming. I have access to 1000-6000 watt CO2 lasers. With only 80 watts I believe a lot of thin materials could be cut with oxygen ...again on a CO2 laser. Typically, oxygen cutting is done with less than 2 bar.

Dear Madam/Sir,
    We are laser cutting machine manufacturer in china, we can offer different kinds of laser cutting, engraving and marking machines, hope to have a long time business relationship with you, and looking for your reply.

Regards
    Kevin

Liaocheng Shenhui Laser Equipment Co., Ltd.
    Mobile Phone: 86-13563522963
    Skpye: lcshkevin
    E-mail: [email protected]
    MSN: [email protected]

50w can cut metal material

1. Model: SH-YAG-50W Laser Marking Machine
    2. Applicable Materials
    Applicable various metal,. alloy and some non-metal materials.
    3. Applicable industry:
    Metal、alloy 、oxide、ABS、epoxy resin、printing ink,etc. which are widely applying for electronics,jewelry,automobiles,communication products,plastic buttons,IC,etc.
    4. Parameters
    Laser Type YAG
    Laser Power 50W
    Marking Speed 7000mm/s
    Mirror Width 200mmx200mm
    Cooling Way Water Cooling and Protection System
    Operating Voltage AC220V±10%50HZ
    Matching Device Double Gold-Plating Cavity
    Graphic file format PLT,PCX,DXF,BMP,AI
    Operating Temperature 25℃-28℃
    Min Character 1.5-3mm
    Max Resolution 65535
    Pulse Frequency 50KHZ
    Marking Depth ≤5mm
       Repeat Precision ±0.0001mm
    Net Weight 80kg
     Machine dimension 1080×530×1335mm

cutting metal sheets

Can i cut 1mm stainles with 60w co2 laser ?if i use assist gas(oxygene)maybe?i am worried about getting machine on fire .

Re: Can an 80w laser cut metals...any metal?

Sorry to bring back this thread but I have an 80w co2 laser cutter and would like to know if it can cut 0.12mm brass sheet, the idea is to make some model kits parts I am building in brass just like photo etching, is it possible ?

I think it is possible being that the sheet is so thin, would like to be certain though before ordering a pack of brass sheets

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrops View Post
    is it possible ?
    No.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

I have a 100 watt Laser w/oxygen assist what thickness of metals can I cut? SS____ Aluminum____ Carbon____ Delron(type of plastic)_____

Quote Originally Posted by jwinders View Post
    I have a 100 watt Laser w/oxygen assist what thickness of metals can I cut? SS____ Aluminum____ Carbon____ Delron(type of plastic)_____
    Are you sure you have actual pure oxygen assist, not just compressed air assist? There's a huge difference and expense involved, and while it could theoretically be done it would be very slow, realistically you would wan't at least 200-400 watts minimum-with oxygen assist- to cut even the thinnest metals with any reasonable speed. that's why most of the machines that are made for cutting metals are in the Kilowatt range. Also be extremely careful setting up oxygen assist if you are not familiar with it, it can be very dangerous!

Hello everyone. I am CNC machinist try to become technician right now. I am struggling with Chinese laser cutting machine. The problem start with X axis stepper Motor It works fine for 3 to 4 hours and all of sudden it stop responding while Y axis keep working as the program. I stop the machine and try to move X Axis from control panel Key that Is NO GO. I checked all the connection which seem on it place and holding tight. I flip the X axis connections to the Y axis then motor respond perfect. That mean Motor working fine. can Anyone tell me If it is a Driver issue or something else?

Hi,there,

This is Jenny from Jinan Toyea Machinery Equipment CO.,Ltd.

The 80W laser tube can not cut metal.

Usually we use 150W laser tube to cut,the machine can cut metal and other non-metal materials.

What is the thickness of the SS you will cut?

Any answer,please directly to [email protected] .

Kern shows lots of videos cutting stainless at 1 mm thick, with 150W - 200 W Co2 lasers.
    About 15k, from kern.

Google kern laser.

Keep in mind the Kerns are set up with a gas assist which makes it much easier to cut. When my ULS Pro series was brand new with 2 60 watt tubes it was measured at 152 watts total output, I tried cutting some 22 gauge steel I had, just to see what it would do, even at the slowest speed it just deep engraved and warped the sheet. They make some nice machines, I saw one at a sign convention and was very impressed. I think the 4'x4' table with 150 watts starts at about $40k, the 4'x8' 400 watt that I saw was over $100k.

:cheers: