584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle indexing

does anyone know if there is a way to control angular indexing of the spindle with mach3 lathe? Say I wanted to be able to broach gears or something on my lathe, is there a way to index the spindle like a rotary axis?

Edit...
    I realize that's a broad question. So more specifically, is there a way to add a third axis to the screen set? I can handle the rest if I can get a step and dir signal to output from mach3L

Re: Spindle indexing

If you aren't using it as a lathe, just set up a Mach3 mill configuration.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

well i am using it as a lathe as well. I'd like to be able to do all the operations in a single program.

Just finishing off a few details on my Mach3 Lathe with the spindle acting as an A Axis, will be posting a video on YouTube in a week or 3.
    I had to replace the spindle motor on my lathe, due to lack of power. due to lack of space, I fitted a Chinese AC Servo motor (Best thing I ever did)
    Mach3 lathe can be adapted quite easily to 3 axis, with the spindle acting as "A" axis. You just need the motor and a couple of relays.

Happy to share details if it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Stutank View Post
    Just finishing off a few details on my Mach3 Lathe with the spindle acting as an A Axis, will be posting a video on YouTube in a week or 3.
    I had to replace the spindle motor on my lathe, due to lack of power. due to lack of space, I fitted a Chinese AC Servo motor (Best thing I ever did)
    Mach3 lathe can be adapted quite easily to 3 axis, with the spindle acting as "A" axis. You just need the motor and a couple of relays.

Happy to share details if it helps
    looks like I'm a bit late to this party, but I'd love to see details. I'm getting back into my lathe build, and this is really something I'd like to do.

CS900 - Assuming you have the cheap (but very good) Chinese AC servo motor all setup as your lathe spindle motor (Control mode = 2 for speed mode). just change Control mode to 4 which is Position/Velocity Mode. This will allow to move from velocity mode (Simple lathe spindle control) to Position mode ("A" Axis indexing) via the state of Sigin2 port (Sigin1 usually = Servo enable) Sigin2 (Parameter # 53) should be set to 14 for Cmode.
    On the Mach3 end of things, using mach3screen.exe you need to add the required visual elements (I can send you a copy of lathe screem with these mods). The final requirement is for Mach3 to switch modes under program control, I use M111.m1s and M112.m1s which can be called from program and simply contain the line ACTIVATESIGNAL(OUTPUT3) for M111 (A Axis) and DEACTIVATESIGNAL(OUTPUT3) for M112 (Spindle). Output3 is connected to a relay to control Sigin2.

I use a second line as above except OUTPUT4 to control a milling spindle in the toolpost if required (if plugged in that is).

This should allow what you want, allowing all functions you require from Mach3Lathe + 1 Gcode program. Also good for CNC springwinding etc.

Hope this all helps, let me know if additional details required.

Quote Originally Posted by Stutank View Post
    CS900 - Assuming you have the cheap (but very good) Chinese AC servo motor all setup as your lathe spindle motor (Control mode = 2 for speed mode). just change Control mode to 4 which is Position/Velocity Mode. This will allow to move from velocity mode (Simple lathe spindle control) to Position mode ("A" Axis indexing) via the state of Sigin2 port (Sigin1 usually = Servo enable) Sigin2 (Parameter # 53) should be set to 14 for Cmode.
    On the Mach3 end of things, using mach3screen.exe you need to add the required visual elements (I can send you a copy of lathe screem with these mods). The final requirement is for Mach3 to switch modes under program control, I use M111.m1s and M112.m1s which can be called from program and simply contain the line ACTIVATESIGNAL(OUTPUT3) for M111 (A Axis) and DEACTIVATESIGNAL(OUTPUT3) for M112 (Spindle). Output3 is connected to a relay to control Sigin2.

I use a second line as above except OUTPUT4 to control a milling spindle in the toolpost if required (if plugged in that is).

This should allow what you want, allowing all functions you require from Mach3Lathe + 1 Gcode program. Also good for CNC springwinding etc.

Hope this all helps, let me know if additional details required.
    thanks, Currently I have an AC motor with a VFD for the spindle, but I may upgrade to an AC motor in the future for this functionality. thanks!

CS900. Spindle indexing certainly needs an AC Servo motor, Mine gives 0 to 2500 rpm with good torque right down, and 10,000 pulses per revolution in Positioning mode.
    The perfect spindle motor, and priced similar to a vfd + 3ph motor.