584,861 active members*
4,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Is it at all possible to build a metalworking CNC router out of aluminum profiles.
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Is it at all possible to build a metalworking CNC router out of aluminum profiles

Quote Originally Posted by teamloks1 View Post
    hi peter i already ask from my local distributor they only have biggest 200*200*13mm which cost 136usd per meter and 100*100*10mm 55 usd per meter is it good price you think?
    Your best bet is to convert the cost to a dollar per pound number. Obviously in a metric country that wouldn’t be pounds (in most cases). You can then compare that number to the going rates for the metal in question.

Re: Is it at all possible to build a metalworking CNC router out of aluminum profiles

Been a while since I've bought steel but that price seems reasonable, particularly if you can buy per metre (not by the whole length).
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Hi, all.
    Can I get in on this?
    I too built an extrusion frame router and am not happy with it's stiffness. I wanted to machine Al, and it does, if you go slow. So I am going to build a new frame and move all the motion parts over. I have some Questions about how to proceed. I don't want to hijack this thread!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ben View Post
    Hi, all.
    Can I get in on this?
    I too built an extrusion frame router and am not happy with it's stiffness. I wanted to machine Al, and it does, if you go slow. So I am going to build a new frame and move all the motion parts over. I have some Questions about how to proceed. I don't want to hijack this thread!

Ben
    Hi Ben.

If you want some help create another thread. In this case though you just highlight a common result that people get when trying to build a router for Aluminum machining. That is a machine gets built that doesn’t mechanically meet the users needs.

So your post offers a good point for the original poster to consider. He really needs to consider mechanical stiffness.

Hello Mr Ben - Many threads in here cover upgrading routers to be able to cut aluminium. Most upgrades do not get there as the basic machine does not have the potential for the required stiffness, as you have found out. So its a start again process. If you start at the gantry most calculations take you to something like a 200x200x12mm thick aluminium extrusion or a 200x200x6mm steel section. Its better to be bigger in steel a 250x250x6mm is good. Then everything has to be scaled from that. Here's my thread on designing a router for aluminium. "Routering" actually milling light metals is quite a step up for a machine from soft materials. Peter

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/austr...ml#post2337406

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hello Mr Ben - Many threads in here cover upgrading routers to be able to cut aluminium. Most upgrades do not get there as the basic machine does not have the potential for the required stiffness, as you have found out. So its a start again process. If you start at the gantry most calculations take you to something like a 200x200x12mm thick aluminium extrusion or a 200x200x6mm steel section. Its better to be bigger in steel a 250x250x6mm is good. Then everything has to be scaled from that. Here's my thread on designing a router for aluminium. "Routering" actually milling light metals is quite a step up for a machine from soft materials. Peter

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/austr...ml#post2337406
    hi Peter do you have your router design for sale?

Hi Loks - Pricelist is here thru link at bottom of page. https://cncrouterkits.com.au/maximus...ty-cnc-router/ Peter

Page 3 of 3 123